Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Schoolboy goalkeeping.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Stockdale moved to his left because Jones kept telling him to go that way from the technical area. Once the ball was in the net Jones hid back on the bench.
I saw that - wondered what / who he was instructing. Thought he was directing the wall?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
If you coach 'keepers you'll hopefully agree that the free-kick was at near enough the optimum distance for getting the ball over the wall with room to keep it under the bar. From the position the ball was placed there were options of left or right of Stockdale's almost central starting position. There was no need for Kermogant to show where he was going to place it in that his run-up gave nothing away. It was beautifully struck with just enough pace. That would have beaten most goalkeepers.

No it wasn't. It's simply Stockdale's fault. Stockdale covered his area. But then moved away from it. The ball was hit almost straight at his original position. That would not have beaten many keepers in the league, the whole league!

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I find to astonishing that people are able to write so much guff defending Stockdale in this case. He's not,a bad keeper, he's fine to have in the team, but he made a howler there. What's the point of the wall if you step behind it when the ball is struck? When we see it again, I'm confident that the replays showed that it was a very quick and silly step to his left for no obvious reason and then he was scrambling back to the right. Very odd thing to do.

Oh and I'm not really sure why people are having a go at Dunk on this one. The bloke was as good as clean through, and Dunk took one for the team. Defenders do it week in and week out, and the balance of probability on scoring the free kick meant it was probably a good decision. Dunk couldn't have predicted such poor keeping.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
No it wasn't. It's simply Stockdale's fault. Stockdale covered his area. But then moved away from it. The ball was hit almost straight at his original position. That would not have beaten many keepers in the league, the whole league!

Completely agree with you on this, it was terrible goalkeeping and anyone stepping into defend Stockdale is just wrong. It was his fault, the free kick would have been a comfortable catch without his stupidity.

I find to astonishing that people are able to write so much guff defending Stockdale in this case. He's not,a bad keeper, he's fine to have in the team, but he made a howler there. What's the point of the wall if you step behind it when the ball is struck? When we see it again, I'm confident that the replays showed that it was a very quick and silly step to his left for no obvious reason and then he was scrambling back to the right. Very odd thing to do.

Amen.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Keepers are always going to be at the sharp end of game-influencing plays. That's their job. Anybody with an axe to grind will always find fault with the keeper's positioning for goals, while conveniently casting aside any amount of quality shot-stopping as "that's what they're paid to do". No other position comes under such scrutiny, and not a single position would emerge well from the same level of scrutiny.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Players being paid probably considerably more to do a specified job are evidently not quite succeeding (hence not too many goals in recent matches for BHA) so time to move on Shirley?

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
The Sky analysis (according to my son) gave credit to Kermogant for a brilliant free kick. He shaped to whip it in the DS left hand post, forcing the slight movement before wrapping his foot around it and curling it in to DS right.

Dunk made a lazy tackle after (I think) CMS gave the ball away they are probably more to blame than DS but as he is one of the Albion scapegoats so gets absolutely slated for any perceived error.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The Sky analysis (according to my son) gave credit to Kermogant for a brilliant free kick. He shaped to whip it in the DS left hand post, forcing the slight movement before wrapping his foot around it and curling it in to DS right.

Dunk made a lazy tackle after (I think) CMS gave the ball away they are probably more to blame than DS but as he is one of the Albion scapegoats so gets absolutely slated for any perceived error.

100% this. JFC is on the bench nowadays out of the firing line so #blameStockdale.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Exactly. A small error/misjudgment and we conceded. It was not as bad an error as Halford playing their guy ondside for the second goal, or Best's tame shot when through on goal or Dunk charging upfield and losing the ball or no-one covering him when he did or...

Or Bruno pathetically ducking out of a gently bouncing ball rather than head it, to allow Bournemouth a throw-in. Too PUERILE for words. Sake!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Exactly. A small error/misjudgment and we conceded. It was not as bad an error as Halford playing their guy ondside for the second goal, or Best's tame shot when through on goal or Dunk charging upfield and losing the ball or no-one covering him when he did or...
That's hard to equate.

A small error causes a goal or a large error causes a goal. Both have the same result.

Stockdale's was an error resulting in a very stoppable shot going in.

I'm not one of the posters to blame him very often but if he makes an obvious mistake he has to accept it.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
When you look at the replay Stockdale is definitely worried about the left side of the wall. Either the wall refused to stand where he told it, or Stockdale was expecting the kick to go to his left - presumably he's watched the videos so knows this is what usually happens. He's not blameless but we need to understand why he made the decisions he did. And if it had been say Kayal taking that free for us we'd all be saying it was world class and unstoppable.

Stockdale does make mistakes but he has without doubt saved us more than he has let us down this season. Player of the Season

Juror#13

Banned
Jan 14, 2015

He's a liability. Cost us at least 14 pts this season and always concedes after the 1st shot on target. 2 shots on target last night and 2 goals conceded. It's been like that all season.

Not surprised he hasn't said he needs more game time like he did after the first 7 games. £1m? He'd struggle to get into any conference side.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The point is you have to accept goals conceded due to small or large goalkeeping errors and just move on. Every player makes little errors, but when a keeper does and lets a goal in it looks much worse and the consequences are game changing.

Apart from one step to his left at the wrong time he played well and didn't make any other real mistakes. So he had a good game.
Not sure he particularly had a good game. He had a very quiet game. They had 2 shots on goal all night. Just 2, 1 of which due to his error they scored from.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Bournemouth had two shots on target all night and they both went in, one between his legs and the other where he had been standing one second earlier. Other than that he had a stormer.

Exactly what I thought when the free kick sailed in - hang on wasn't he just standing right there. I think it was a major error from Stockdale, I think he's made many errors this season, I think he has a major problem with his positioning and is the reason he's not that good a goalkeeper

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Problem is how does a goalkeeper of Stockdales age improve his positioning? A top keeper would invariably be in a position to give himself the best chance of saving a shot through years of drills and naturally excellent spatial awareness. Don't see Stockdale suddenly correcting this at his age. Often seems to be that extra yard to one side or other and unable to make up the distance when reacting to the shot

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
When you look at the replay Stockdale is definitely worried about the left side of the wall. Either the wall refused to stand where he told it, or Stockdale was expecting the kick to go to his left - presumably he's watched the videos so knows this is what usually happens. He's not blameless but we need to understand why he made the decisions he did. And if it had been say Kayal taking that free for us we'd all be saying it was world class and unstoppable.
Mo
Stockdale does make mistakes but he has without doubt saved us more than he has let us down this season. Player of the Season

More like clown of the season

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
He's a liability. Cost us at least 14 pts this season and always concedes after the 1st shot on target. 2 shots on target last night and 2 goals conceded. It's been like that all season.

Not surprised he hasn't said he needs more game time like he did after the first 7 games. £1m? He'd struggle to get into any conference side.

What did you think of the penalty save on the stroke of HT against Birmingham or the reflex save against Derby that was also on the stroke of HT?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here