Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] School strikes

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Teachers don't have set hours, a sad oddity. Their hours are not the same as students. Do people genuinely believe Teachers arrive at 9 and leave at 3:30. Most arrive by 8 and leave at 6, then plan and mark in the evening and or at the weekend.
Indeed. It's the reason my wife, a qualified teacher, has chosen to work as a teaching assistant (for EVEN LESS pay) whilst we have junior school age children.

Jimmy Grimble

they do and there's a significant employer contribution, over 20%. probably needs to be sensible discussion across public sector about shifting some of this to pay, they'll get some less in pension but shifts to when they need the money.
I’ve thought this for some time and I believe this subject was raised in the Times recently.
Public sector pensions are never mentioned by the unions when they put forward their pay demands, surprise, surprise.
This idea re shifting the overall ‘pay package ‘ around is surely in the thoughts of the powers that be.
The question of the sustainability of public sector pensions is a whole can of worms, but will have to be faced at some stage and I really don’t believe that many in the public sector appreciate quite how generous their pension schemes are compared to a lot of us who are dependent on the fortunes of the stock market for our pensions, wicked shareholders that we are!
Incorrect. Teachers no longer get a final salary pension. They get a career average.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
you can change jobs within public sector to get higher grades, promotions too. in teaching there's also payments for additional responsiblities, leadership roles. all just like private sector really. no one stays on starting salary, follow structured pay increases.
My post wasn’t clear. What I meant was a like-for-like job pay increase…public sector workers generally can’t go to a different fire station, police station and do the same job for a better employer and/or a higher salary like, say I can.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't have kids at school so it’s no skin off my nose. Just making the point.
Okay. I never had you down as a get-offended-on-others-behalf type though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Of course easy to quote increases in some private section jobs but can assure you not the case in the majority. Many are just holding on and staff suffer income wise until economy improves but very appreciative they keep job through these times.
Whilst I dont agree with them striking I have lots of time for good enthusiastic teachers but sorry but going back 20/30 years majority of teachers i have met have moaned about the job. Broad statement I know but my experience of meeting teachers through my children many just should not be in the job. I am lucky I have 2 close relatives who are teachers that are so enthusiastic and love there job but tell me that is rare. Again a broad statement but having met through children many just out of Uni . Several say not sure what to do but I can always go into teaching and many do but for wrong reasons.
For all you in vital public service jobs congratulations and it is appreciated. However I can assure you at present time it is not easy to change jobs in private section. Appreciate in senior management I have earned more money but the pressure on staff on whether profits/losses justify how many are kept on is tremendous. Although I would say unlike public section if you are poor at your job you would be out.
I look back on my school days and can stiill recall the teachers who were outstanding and feel they made a difference to my life . Although appreciate teaching is different now but to all you teachers out there appreciate you have a very safe job and in the great position to make a difference to peoples lives
rubbish. I have worked all my life in the private sector and there’s plenty of people knocking around who I don’t think are good at their job but don’t get the boot.
Of course easy to quote increases in some private section jobs but can assure you not the case in the majority. Many are just holding on and staff suffer income wise until economy improves but very appreciative they keep job through these times.
Whilst I dont agree with them striking I have lots of time for good enthusiastic teachers but sorry but going back 20/30 years majority of teachers i have met have moaned about the job. Broad statement I know but my experience of meeting teachers through my children many just should not be in the job. I am lucky I have 2 close relatives who are teachers that are so enthusiastic and love there job but tell me that is rare. Again a broad statement but having met through children many just out of Uni . Several say not sure what to do but I can always go into teaching and many do but for wrong reasons.
For all you in vital public service jobs congratulations and it is appreciated. However I can assure you at present time it is not easy to change jobs in private section. Appreciate in senior management I have earned more money but the pressure on staff on whether profits/losses justify how many are kept on is tremendous. Although I would say unlike public section if you are poor at your job you would be out.
I look back on my school days and can stiill recall the teachers who were outstanding and feel they made a difference to my life . Although appreciate teaching is different now but to all you teachers out there appreciate you have a very safe job and in the great position to make a difference to peoples lives
Funny how every single teacher you have met shouldn’t be in a job….except of course your two close relatives.

And aside from the anecdotal wage increases mentioned on this site in another thread there’s also this from a few days ago. Plus other sources.

“Pay rises at fastest pace for over 20 years”

“The gap between public and private sector pay is also near a record high. Private sector wages grew 7.2% annually in the three months to November, which was more than double that of the 3.3% increase in the public sector, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS).”

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-64290162.amp

From hospitality to skilled jobs, there’s increases.

What leg are you actually standing on?

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
rubbish. I have worked all my life in the private sector and there’s plenty of people knocking around who I don’t think are good at their job but don’t get the boot.

Funny how every single teacher you have met shouldn’t be in a job….except of course your two close relatives.

And aside from the anecdotal wage increases mentioned on this site in another thread there’s also this from a few days ago. Plus other sources.

“The gap between public and private sector pay is also near a record high. Private sector wages grew 7.2% annually in the three months to November, which was more than double that of the 3.3% increase in the public sector, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS).”

Quite. Because people can move between different companies which drives up wages to retain people. Unfortunately we are told that paying public sector workers who are all working for the same scales etc can’t have pay rises because it causes inflation.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Personally, I don't agree with teachers striking. The current crop of kids have already missed so much learning because of school Covid closures that it seems unfair to disadvantage them once more.
Teaching is a nigh-on impossible job at the moment because of school cuts. The amount of staff we have lost over the last few years and not replaced has made it harder and harder to do the job and meet the ridiculous targets government expect.

Go to a school and see how it is running and then tell me you don't agree with teachers striking. We get moaned at by parents for not providing as much support as needed to specific children who need it because we haven't the resources anymore, from children with additional needs to those with learning difficulties in different areas, but then moaned at for striking because of the lack of resources. Can't win.

Pay is a part of the strikes, but a large reason for the strikes is also working conditions, which have become significantly stretched, and being unable to provide what we need to to our pupils, all the while with government and ofsted putting ridiculous pressure on for results.

Teachers are leaving the profession in droves and there aren't enough replacing them. For many, the job isn't paid anywhere near enough for the stress because of the above.

Jimmy Grimble

I never said final salary pension, I said public sector pensions.
Nevertheless, still a very generous deal.
Incorrect? Not me.
The poster you quoted did so it seemed you were agreeing with him.

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
It should also be pointed out that the latest wage increases (like the last one) have to be funded out of EXISTING school budgets. Absolutely disgusting lack of basic respect for the next generation.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

Another over top reply. Where on earth did you get I said every single teacher I have met. I clearly said many and its a fact
Sorry all I was doing is giving an opinion which I appreciate not the forum to disagree on some issues but replies not helpful when so often misquoted.
I must try and stick to football

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Anyone that believes NHS frontline staff and teachers don’t deserve fair pay and the right to strike for it is frankly, a f***ing moron.
Doesn’t leave much room for sensible discussion…..but I guess expletive moron depends on assessment to what is ‘fair’

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Another over top reply. Where on earth did you get I said every single teacher I have met. I clearly said many and its a fact
Sorry all I was doing is giving an opinion which I appreciate not the forum to disagree on some issues but replies not helpful when so often misquoted.
I must try and stick to football

It’s the best way to avoid a pile on when you have an opinion that doesn’t quite fit in :)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
What discussion is there to have? The money is there, pay them.

“The money is there” ..I think there’s a discussion point in itself….and as stated earlier definition of what is considered “fair”
…still if I suggests this I’m a f ing moron.

I’ll leave you all to it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here