Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] School strikes

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But why is it acceptable that people who don't work for the government should not only get pay rises below inflation, but should also have to pay more taxes to ensure that government employees live better lives than them?
Wealthier people should pay more taxes. Wealthier people, by definition, will not be severely impacted by below inflation pay rises. Seems acceptable to me.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Other countries did as well. And Micheal Gove famously said, as he twisted Brexit into the argument, “there is nothing an independent UK cannot do” All the while more bodies were piling up.
Funny world. During Covid during several visits and conversations with friends and relatives in Germany all they went on about was how well UK had dealt with Covid compared to them

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Wealthier people should pay more taxes. Wealthier people, by definition, will not be severely impacted by below inflation pay rises. Seems acceptable to me.
Yes, but there are people who work in the private sector who get paid even less than the subsistence allowance paid to teachers. It might be hard to believe, but there are even people whose first job pays less than £28k!!!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yes, but there are people who work in the private sector who get paid even less than the subsistence allowance paid to teachers. It might be hard to believe, but there are even people whose first job pays less than £28k!!!
Cool. Probably best if we reduce everyone’s pay down to that level then. Keep everyone happy.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes. I know this.

Read your post which I replied to. You asked why it’s acceptable. I explained a scenario where I think it’s acceptable.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Another 2 days of school strikes, the gulf between state and public just keeps growing.

Peak run up to GCSE's and A-levels, government seems remarkably relaxed about the situation.

Our kids deserve better

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
fortunatly for the children, more teachers are in today so many kids can go in and tomorrow couple of schools i know are fully open. the teachers have worked out they can make a point with only a few actually striking.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
fortunatly for the children, more teachers are in today so many kids can go in and tomorrow couple of schools i know are fully open. the teachers have worked out they can make a point with only a few actually striking.
Ah, a good old bit of anecdote to make a case. My son is at home, as his teachers on strike. There are no lessons going on at his school. Therefore, all teachers are on strike and all schools are closed :dunce:

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I agree teachers should earn more , well the good hard working ones def .

Was surprised at how little junior doctors earn in their first year £27k I think I heard . Doctors should def get paid more even at junior level ,

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Another 2 days of school strikes, the gulf between state and public just keeps growing.

Peak run up to GCSE's and A-levels, government seems remarkably relaxed about the situation.

Our kids deserve better
There is a big gap between state school exam results & public school ones but that’s largely down to the entrance exams to weed out the less bright pupils & smaller classes . Quality of teaching isn’t any better but the facility obviously are.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
There is a big gap between state school exam results & public school ones but that’s largely down to the entrance exams to weed out the less bright pupils & smaller classes . Quality of teaching isn’t any better but the facility obviously are.
So true. Everybody remembers the couple of disruptive arseholes from their school days, who are now waiting for their gyro to pay for their next drink or fix.
Whereas those that wanted to learn, most have/had jobs so could afford to not worry about buying their next drink or fix.
Public schools just teach a better class of arseholes:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here