Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Saudi's instruct UK pubs NOT to show their flag

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Interesting development.

I'm WFH today, so as is my WONT, I minced along for a cheeky bit of lunchtime lubrication at my local, which happens to be a Greene King. On settling down with a pint, a paper, and a bag of cheese and onion Discos, a couple of the staff were pinning up a load of those World Cup banners you get with the flags of all the participating nations, up around the bar. I like these, as its always a nice little challenge identifying each nations flag. Anyway, someone else was sitting down at a table with a pair of scissors, busily cutting off all the green flags of Saudi Arabia. When I asked why, it turns out that Greene King have (apparently) been told to do this, as the Saudi's object to their flag being displayed in venues that sell alcohol. The directive came down from Greene King HQ, and apparently the GK chain won't be the only pubs under these orders.

Without going Daily Mail tonto, who are the Saudi's to dictate what flags UK pubs are allowed to display during the World Cup ? Its not even their World Cup. Whats it got to do with them ? And what are they going to do about it ?

Crackers decision to go along with it IMO. But I am nearly 51.

You lost me at Cheese and Onion.
Everyone knows Salt and Vinegar is the place to be.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Interesting development.

I'm WFH today, so as is my WONT, I minced along for a cheeky bit of lunchtime lubrication at my local, which happens to be a Greene King. On settling down with a pint, a paper, and a bag of cheese and onion Discos, a couple of the staff were pinning up a load of those World Cup banners you get with the flags of all the participating nations, up around the bar. I like these, as its always a nice little challenge identifying each nations flag. Anyway, someone else was sitting down at a table with a pair of scissors, busily cutting off all the green flags of Saudi Arabia. When I asked why, it turns out that Greene King have (apparently) been told to do this, as the Saudi's object to their flag being displayed in venues that sell alcohol. The directive came down from Greene King HQ, and apparently the GK chain won't be the only pubs under these orders.

Without going Daily Mail tonto, who are the Saudi's to dictate what flags UK pubs are allowed to display during the World Cup ? Its not even their World Cup. Whats it got to do with them ? And what are they going to do about it ?

Crackers decision to go along with it IMO. But I am nearly 51.

Quite subtle but your mention of cheese and onion Discos was bound to stir up unrest……. But then again you knew that didn’t you ??

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I love a Saudi pint: Straight glass, no alcohol, no head.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Are they "dictating" or are Greene King just deciding there's no benefit to upsetting them. Those aren't quite the same thing.

I'm sure somebody will complain loudly that their enjoyment of the world cup is completely ruined by the absence of the Saudi flag down the pub (not that they would have even noticed if nobody had pointed it out to them).

Either way, much ado about nothing.

We have been advised at work to not describe our anonymous marking as 'blind' marking in case it offends the visually impaired. I think that our visually impaired students know what blind marking means, and that it doesn't mean marking with our eyes shut, or poked out.

That's the last time I drink Green King. Twats.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
When I worked just off Park Lane in the 80’s the Dorchester, Grosvenor House and Hilton hotels were full of pissed up, drugged up, whoring Saudi Princes who wore traditional dress. I suspect that nothing has changed except their attire.

Still exactly the same.

They also heavily descend on the Chelsea Burger van just over the Chelsea Bridge for additional meat based vices

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I can't understand why put a sacred text on a flag if you can't control where it is displayed? Maybe just take the text off?

They could replace the text with a cartoon. Of something. Any suggestions?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
next thing they will asking us to take down is our LBGTQ+ flags :(

In lieu of any thumbs ups, have you time to explain your point?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Whilst everyone is fixating on the Cheese and Onion Eric Bristow's, isn't the real issue that its a bit early for the World Cup flags? It's like those bells who put the Christmas tree lights up in October.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Whilst everyone is fixating on the Cheese and Onion Eric Bristow's, isn't the real issue that its a bit early for the World Cup flags? It's like those bells who put the Christmas tree lights up in October.

Added factor - the Christmas deccies will be fighting for space with all the World Cup clobber. You won't be able to move for flags, tinsel, footballs, trees and fairy lights.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Quite subtle but your mention of cheese and onion Discos was bound to stir up unrest……. But then again you knew that didn’t you ??

I don't see why. Cheese and onion Disco's are a feast for the eyes, and a joy for the palette. I think we can all agree on THAT at least.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Added factor - the Christmas deccies will be fighting for space with all the World Cup clobber. You won't be able to move for flags, tinsel, footballs, trees and fairy lights.

Its all very well the wrist choppers banning the Saudi flag in the juicer but I bet they haven't thought this one through. Anyone banned the Saudi BAUBLE on the tree in the Bat and Ball? Nope. Thought not.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Someone tell them/remind them we are the the reason they still exist , the reason their country still belongs to them and not the Germans .

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It’s getting too heated… Come on everyone keep your heads.

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021
What does the text actually say? My arabic is a little rusty these days.

Transliteration: Ashadu an la ilaha illa illa-ilah, wa ashadu anna muhammadan rasul ullah.

Translation: There is no God but Allah (God) and Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here