Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Saudi's instruct UK pubs NOT to show their flag

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Interesting development.

I'm WFH today, so as is my WONT, I minced along for a cheeky bit of lunchtime lubrication at my local, which happens to be a Greene King. On settling down with a pint, a paper, and a bag of cheese and onion Discos, a couple of the staff were pinning up a load of those World Cup banners you get with the flags of all the participating nations, up around the bar. I like these, as its always a nice little challenge identifying each nations flag. Anyway, someone else was sitting down at a table with a pair of scissors, busily cutting off all the green flags of Saudi Arabia. When I asked why, it turns out that Greene King have (apparently) been told to do this, as the Saudi's object to their flag being displayed in venues that sell alcohol. The directive came down from Greene King HQ, and apparently the GK chain won't be the only pubs under these orders.

Without going Daily Mail tonto, who are the Saudi's to dictate what flags UK pubs are allowed to display during the World Cup ? Its not even their World Cup. Whats it got to do with them ? And what are they going to do about it ?

Crackers decision to go along with it IMO. But I am nearly 51.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Interesting development.

I'm WFH today, so as is my WONT, I minced along for a cheeky bit of lunchtime lubrication at my local, which happens to be a Greene King. On settling down with a pint, a paper, and a bag of cheese and onion Discos, a couple of the staff were pinning up a load of those World Cup banners you get with the flags of all the participating nations, up around the bar. I like these, as its always a nice little challenge identifying each nations flag. Anyway, someone else was sitting down at a table with a pair of scissors, busily cutting off all the green flags of Saudi Arabia. When I asked why, it turns out that Greene King have (apparently) been told to do this, as the Saudi's object to their flag being displayed in venues that sell alcohol. The directive came down from Greene King HQ, and apparently the GK chain won't be the only pubs under these orders.

Without going Daily Mail tonto, who are the Saudi's to dictate what flags UK pubs are allowed to display during the World Cup ? Its not even their World Cup. Whats it got to do with them ? And what are they going to do about it ?

Crackers decision to go along with it IMO. But I am nearly 51.

cheese and onion Discos !!

heathen, you should be stoned for that.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Makes a change from knickers I suppose

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
It's possibly something to do with the script on the flag - religious meaning. I believe it can't be flown at half mast either whatever the reason.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Your military allies, trading partners, fellow monarchists and role models regarding questions like the right to protest etc?

:moo:

Does that extend to them banning their flag in OUR pubs ?

*shakes angry fist at cloud*

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Are they "dictating" or are Greene King just deciding there's no benefit to upsetting them. Those aren't quite the same thing.

I'm sure somebody will complain loudly that their enjoyment of the world cup is completely ruined by the absence of the Saudi flag down the pub (not that they would have even noticed if nobody had pointed it out to them).

Either way, much ado about nothing.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Can't display their flags in pubs.
Geordies can wear the Saudi national kit (cunningly disguised as Newcastle's away kit) in pubs all over the country.

Genius.

It’s a bit of a double bluff as we know most Geordies wander around without their tops on.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Used to laugh working in Bahrain, when the sheiks would come over the causeway from Saudi, and spend the weekend getting s**tfaced and whoring it up in the hotels, then go back Sunday night like good little boys. Hypocrites.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Greene King, like half the world, is owned by the Chinese.

Let's see if Wetherspoons follow the Saudi's orders.

Next it'll be banning alcohol from St James Park. Good luck with that one:thumbsup:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Can't display their flags in pubs.
Geordies can wear the Saudi national kit (cunningly disguised as Newcastle's away kit) in pubs all over the country.

Genius.

The Newcastle 'Saudi' kit doesn't include the Muslim profession of faith, that appears on the national flag. Quite an important difference, in this context.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Are they "dictating" or are Greene King just deciding there's no benefit to upsetting them. Those aren't quite the same thing.

Saudi dictating and Green King rolling over on something they have no business to dictate. who from Saudi is going to know, right?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here