Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Saudi Super League

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Feels like a financial crash. Traders manically buying and selling. Game over for this iteration of football imho.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Football is on the cusp of major change - Newcastle are now set up to jump in , Boehly I suspect is getting prepped, United are about the taken over and they're ready!

City are staying quiet, but I suspect will be all in when it goes live!

The Saudi Super League is coming...watch this space!

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
The global league is inevitable.
Too many Americans and state owned clubs in the premier league who don’t give a crap about the fans. Throw in Barca and Madrid’s desperate need for cash.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I guess there are two types of fans now -

- Fans who live locally and support their home team / don't live locally anymore but still support them / have family connections to the team through parenting influence /other similar-ish reasons.

- Fans who don't live anywhere near "their" team, maybe have never been to the country even. Chose a team for unemotional reasons, which could be many (I like the strip!). These fans often seem to choose a favourite player and change "their" team when the player moves teams. Personally, I don't really get this. If I was born in Thailand I think I'd still support my local team firstly. I'd have a global team too but I really can't imagine feeling any strong emotion or affinity to them. Perhaps British fans of American Football, who've never been to the States, can explain this better?

Where's the mega profit? Probably now much more in the latter and the Saudis are in the process of changing world football imho, chasing those fans. Personally, I have no real interest and I wouldn't complain if big UK clubs fecked off to a Super League. I'd watch some of it but a/ only if I could with streaming (ie not pay for it) and b/ for gambling and only if the betting companies had good offers (free bets, enhanced odds etc) because of the "mega" teams.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It is time for the mainstream media - Sky, BBC, BT, free-to-view channels like channel 4 or 5, and Talksport - just to completely ignore it.. Don't dicuss it, don't report the results, and if a player transfers to the Saudi league, just report that and never mention him again unless or until he returns to proper football.
Let the Tw*tterati squeak and squawk all they like - but just leave all the fuss to them. Nobody else is interested - so let's keep it that way. Don't generate interest by reporting/discussing it. Simples.
.....and no, don't do any streams from St. Saudi's Park for the Beheaders vs. other dodgy country internationals either!

Last edited:

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Feels like a financial crash. Traders manically buying and selling. Game over for this iteration of football imho.
Interestingly when our very own football finance guru did the sums, with all the variants in place not just inflation, Trevor Francis 1m transfer works out in the 260m range today

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Heart says yes, head says NO. Wouldn't of any benefit to BHA or the English game

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Four Four Two are reporting the Saudi league has approached UEFA over a wild card spot in the Champions League. I hope they tell them where to go but money talks and UEFA officials love some moolah.

They can join with one wild card, but only when every club meets UEFA FFP regs.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Had a look at the table fir the Saudi League.....its an Al of a job to figure out who is who...have a look

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
I guess there are two types of fans now -

- Fans who don't live anywhere near "their" team, maybe have never been to the country even. Chose a team for unemotional reasons, which could be many (I like the strip!). These fans often seem to choose a favourite player and change "their" team when the player moves teams. Personally, I don't really get this. If I was born in Thailand I think I'd still support my local team firstly. I'd have a global team too but I really can't imagine feeling any strong emotion or affinity to them. Perhaps British fans of American Football, who've never been to the States, can explain this better?
I'm a massive hypocrit in this respect, as I absolutely despise 'plastic' fans of Premier League teams yet I have chosen, for very tenuous reasons, to 'support' the Buffalo Bills from afar. I've been to a couple of their games in the UK and, in fact, will be missing our home game with Liverpool to do the same in October, but I have no real connection to the city or franchise other than them being involved in the first game I went to, nor have I ever been to Buffalo (I plan to rectify this soon). Yet I still feel a massive affinity to them.....it makes no sense. You find yourself getting drawn into the fandom of the team almost unwittingly, chatting on message boards and digesting all the social media, but the difference is that I would never brag about how great my team are on social media (even of they were!) or get into a slagging match with fans of a different team over a transfer saga.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I'm a massive hypocrit in this respect, as I absolutely despise 'plastic' fans of Premier League teams yet I have chosen, for very tenuous reasons, to 'support' the Buffalo Bills from afar. I've been to a couple of their games in the UK and, in fact, will be missing our home game with Liverpool to do the same in October, but I have no real connection to the city or franchise other than them being involved in the first game I went to, nor have I ever been to Buffalo (I plan to rectify this soon). Yet I still feel a massive affinity to them.....it makes no sense. You find yourself getting drawn into the fandom of the team almost unwittingly, chatting on message boards and digesting all the social media, but the difference is that I would never brag about how great my team are on social media (even of they were!) or get into a slagging match with fans of a different team over a transfer saga.
You're only partially plastic.
A proper plastic has to declare "(random successful team) till I die" and spend most of his waking (nominally sentient) hours abusing and belittling fans of other clubs on twitter by highlighting the number of trophies "his team" have won and posting "cry more" at anyone complaining about anything "his team" have done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here