Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Saudi Super League

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
So here is a thought, given how we don't like what Chelsea, Newcastle, City and to a lesser extent Utd and Liverpool are doing re finances, would we actually be better off if they buggered off and started their own Saudi backed league. I am beginning to think it would be good for the rest of the clubs in the PL. Sure the league will lose a lot of its prestige and TV revenue, but from a competition perspective it would make it far less like two separate leagues. Given how we operate, we would still be making a ton of cash from these clubs without having to go up against our previous players (off course there is a possibility that we might not be able to attract these young, soon to become stars, if we are in a less prestigious league) The same could be said for other European leagues as well. When the first super league was raised I was like Fvck off no way, now I am just thinking why don't you just fvck off.

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
A lot of these players wouldn’t then join us, they’d just go to the Saudi league or other European leagues would overtake us.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
A lot of these players wouldn’t then join us, they’d just go to the Saudi league or other European leagues would overtake us.
Yep without the money why would south American players come to rainy old broken Britain. The signs aren't good for football at the moment. Enjoy these great times could all come tumbling down in the next few years.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Absolutely not, FFP and the authorities really do need to find better ways to battle financial doping though - that’s the real problem.
I agree but the trouble is I don't think they are going to. This would be the ideal thing but the way I see it the Saudi take over of top level football is all but inevitable and I feel like I did we Caicedo, just go, piss off and lets us get on with our stuff. Maybe Fifa and Uefa are not as easy to manipulate as the PGA was, maybe there will be a bigger backlash, I am not confident.

Last edited:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Yes, I made a similar point on the Chelsea thread. It can be achieved by the majority of the PL clubs simply rejoining the Football League, cutting off promotion/relegation to the PL and distributing tv money equitably to all members. We would still have our live football. Doesn’t really matter who we play as far as I’m concerned. There would be a lot less money and the quality of football wouldn’t be as good but neither matter to me.I think it would be a lot more competitive than existing PL football.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It's coming ladies and gentlemen.

The Qataris didn't host the World Cup for nothing. It was just a little Trojan horse to set the whole middle eastern oil tanker rolling.

Todd doesn't care. Newcastle will be on board. Many City are watching from the sidelines. United and Liverpool will soon have mercenray owners open to it. Perez is a driving force, so Real, Barca, Juve and the Milans will be on board.

Soo, it will only be Bayern holding out.

Together with the Saudi clubs, a Qatari club and probably a few others bought up by petro dollars, we'll see a Super League in Europe and the Middle East.

The global fans will love it. And as the income no longer comes from the streets around Anfield, St James Park, Stamford Bridge etc. the owners won't give a toss about community or 100 years of history blah blah blah.

Global Soccerball is almost here.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Yes, I made a similar point on the Chelsea thread. It can be achieved by the majority of the PL clubs simply rejoining the Football League, cutting off promotion/relegation to the PL and distributing tv money equitably to all members. We would still have our live football. Doesn’t really matter who we play as far as I’m concerned. There would be a lot less money and the quality of football wouldn’t be as good but neither matter to me.I think it would be a lot more competitive than existing PL football.

The League wouldn't attract anywhere near as many decent players and the standards would slip. Right now we're able to sign players of Moises and Mac's calibre from abroad as the idea of coming to play in the Premier League in stadiums like Anfield and Old Trafford is their dream. Without these prestigious old teams around English football just wouldn't be the same. Do you really think players from abroad dream of turning out at Villa Park or Craven Cottage? And what if Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City and Tottenham did f*ck off to Saudi and we won the league in their absence? It would be a hollow victory would it not?

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
the quality of football wouldn’t be as good but neither matter to me.I think it would be a lot more competitive than existing PL football.
I have been enjoying the Womens World Cup, and whilst it really demonstrate how much better the skills are in the PL its still a good game. The penalty shootout between France and Aus was epic 10 rounds I think.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia

The Qataris didn't host the World Cup for nothing. It was just a little Trojan horse to set the whole middle eastern oil tanker rolling.

Todd doesn't care. Newcastle will be on board. Many City are watching from the sidelines. United and Liverpool will soon have mercenray owners open to it. Perez is a driving force, so Real, Barca, Juve and the Milans will be on board.

Together with the Saudi clubs, a Qatari club and probably a few others bought up by petro dollars, we'll see a Super League in Europe and the Middle East.

The global fans will love it. And as the income no longer comes from the streets around Anfield, St James Park, Stamford Bridge etc. the owners won't give a toss about community or 100 years of history blah blah blah.

With great sadness THIS

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003

And I think that's another reason the Glazier's are holding out selling Man Utd. They can see the insane amounts of money international TV rights deals for a global/league tournament will bring in and they want a piece of that.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
So here is a thought, given how we don't like what Chelsea, Newcastle, City and to a lesser extent Utd and Liverpool are doing re finances, would we actually be better off if they buggered off and started their own Saudi backed league. I am beginning to think it would be good for the rest of the clubs in the PL. Sure the league will lose a lot of its prestige and TV revenue, but from a competition perspective it would make it far less like two separate leagues. Given how we operate, we would still be making a ton of cash from these clubs without having to go up against our previous players (off course there is a possibility that we might not be able to attract these young, soon to become stars, if we are in a less prestigious league) The same could be said for other European leagues as well. When the first super league was raised I was like Fvck off no way, now I am just thinking why don't you just fvck off.
Maybe it will happen one day but winning the Premier League without the top clubs would just be like doing well in the Championship. At least we currently get the chance to beat them and show how close we can get to their level against all the odds. If those clubs go, so does almost all the broadcast money and we'd then be playing second fiddle to several other leagues in Europe as an option for the best young global talent.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The League wouldn't attract anywhere near as many decent players and the standards would slip. Right now we're able to sign players of Moises and Mac's calibre from abroad as the idea of coming to play in the Premier League in stadiums like Anfield and Old Trafford is their dream. Without these prestigious old teams around English football just wouldn't be the same. Do you really think players from abroad dream of turning out at Villa Park or Craven Cottage? And what if Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City and Tottenham did f*ck off to Saudi and we won the league in their absence? It would be a hollow victory would it not?
Absolutely not. I support whoever plays for the club, whoever wears the shirt and in whichever competition we enter. The argument that we must have the best possible players is the same one made by the likes of Man Utd etc. If we no longer attract the best youngsters from abroad then so be it if that is what it takes to remove ourselves from the spiral of greed. I also watch Tranmere. No star players but I have just as good a day out. They also play prestigious clubs as there are more of those in English football than just the likes of Liverpool and Man Utd.

Last edited:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I have been enjoying the Womens World Cup, and whilst it really demonstrate how much better the skills are in the PL its still a good game. The penalty shootout between France and Aus was epic 10 rounds I think.
Bit of a sideline but women's penalty shootouts can easily be epic. There's a lot more goal to aim at against smaller keepers (watch the way they have to run along the line). They don't have to put the penalties right in the corner. That said, there were a couple of very good ones. The big surprise is that the teams kept throwing away winning positions when the takers could have played it fairly safe and still scored.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Winning the league without the big six in it would be pretty hollow although I suspect I would change my mind if it actually happened.

Anyway, lose the big six and a new big 4/6 would appar who would grab what is left of the money.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks

I think the Saudi's next step will be to wave a fistful of cash at UEFA and ask for CL & EL places.

I suspect UEFA will gladly accept, and tell us otherwise a Super League will be on the horizon.

But that will be just a warm up for a Super League, especially as it seems likely Saudi will host the 2030 or 2034 World Cup.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Long term I can't see this ever becoming a dominant league. In general players will be going over there for short periods to fill there pockets. I can fully understand players going to any of the European countries and experiencing with there family life in a different country. However Saudi etc is a different matter all together . Unlikely to want to learn the language and in many cases wives would not be comfortable with the new culture.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Long term I can't see this ever becoming a dominant league. In general players will be going over there for short periods to fill there pockets. I can fully understand players going to any of the European countries and experiencing with there family life in a different country. However Saudi etc is a different matter all together . Unlikely to want to learn the language and in many cases wives would not be comfortable with the new culture.
Which is why they will allow players to live in Dubai. Which is footballer and WAG heaven.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here