Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Saturday could be very important....

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm going by our £8 million losses. We reportedly lose money every home game, although this might have been different for the Reading cup game because the club didn't pay for transport, which seems to be one of the most significant contributors to our losses. Maybe [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] knows better?

El Presidente is the most astute poster on the club's finances that I've come across. I seem to remember that he was suggesting that FA Cup fixtures don't yield too much cash for us, but let's await his precise information.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
sorry disagree I wouldn't call Saturday a must win and Tuesday against burnley is more of a must win

It's a must win, if we need the revenue from a 5th round game, to finance a possible signing for the rest of the season. The money from a 5th round tie could pay a wage or two until the end of the season. If we don't NEED the money then your right, the Burnley game is much more important.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Why are you questioning the 20k Reading crowd? Most don't seem to -- or want to -- understand that the attendance figure announced reflects tickets sold and granted, rather than the number present in the stadium. Barber has to tell supporters this in virtually every programme he writes. In the FA Cup, the gap between the tickets sold and granted and the actual attendance is far closer than in Championship matches.

I'm saying the attendance figures are contrary to the statement that we have 'flagging enthusiasm'. The attendance vs Reading was very good. Not sure what you're reading into my post there!?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
What would a away tie at Chelsea/City/Arsenal be worth to the club??? With only 16 teams in the draw there would be a fair chance of that happening. Would be worth over £500,000 in gate money alone.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm saying the attendance figures are contrary to the statement that we have 'flagging enthusiasm'. The attendance vs Reading was very good. Not sure what you're reading into my post there!?

Oops. Sorry. Was doing two things at once and I'm no multi-tasker. You're right in your post too, and I particularly enjoyed the atmosphere in the Birmingham game too. It's nice to see someone on NSC who can see the longer term picture.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It would be disappointing to go out of the cup to a minnow and miss out on a decent payday. Moreover, I think these big cup matches we've had against Arsenal, Liverpool, Newcastle, Sunderland and Villa have helped "spread the word" in the county that the Albion are back in business.

I'd love to beat Vale and draw Chelsea, a big TV game in the cup would keep the season ticking over nicely.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A bit of team news

Brian Owen ‏@Brian__Owen 45m
Looks like versatile Doug Loft could be at left-back against his old club on Sat with Carl Dickinson banned and Daniel Jones injured

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
It would be disappointing to go out of the cup to a minnow and miss out on a decent payday. Moreover, I think these big cup matches we've had against Arsenal, Liverpool, Newcastle, Sunderland and Villa have helped "spread the word" in the county that the Albion are back in business.

I'd love to beat Vale and draw Chelsea, a big TV game in the cup would keep the season ticking over nicely.

Yep, we really looked the business V Liverpool. Not sure if Dunk has recovered yet:(

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
What would a away tie at Chelsea/City/Arsenal be worth to the club??? With only 16 teams in the draw there would be a fair chance of that happening. Would be worth over £500,000 in gate money alone.

A very good point. You are also right about a replay being too late to release funds for the main transfer window.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
A very good point. You are also right about a replay being too late to release funds for the main transfer window.

That's why I think it's a far bigger game than what it would normally be. Any normal year, you would just shrug your shoulders and say it would be nice to win, but who cares, the league is the priority( which it is) But with the FFP, which we seem to be the only ones sticking too, I think maybe this game is far more important than it would first appear. If winning this match will release funds to improve the squad, then it is very important for the league campaign as well. All that said, it's the 4th round of the FA Cup ffs, with a real chance to progress and get a winnable home tie. Then it could be the quarter finals and we can start getting excited....In fact it is a very very important game.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If we play any of those teams at home TV coverage is guaranteed which is £221k alone plus whatever the club decides to charge for tickets.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
the nightmarish senario would be Albion v Sunderland in the next round assuming both clubs get through this one

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here