Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sarmiento out on loan

Freddo

May 14, 2006
Clapham
Maybe Alzate coming back has affected the thinking here, I think they are players with similar attributes, and with Alzate now 24, and a year of contract left, excluding any additional option year (I think?), he needs to have a season here and make an impact, or move on. I am hoping we see a lot of Alzate.
I guess Sarmiento could be recalled in January if we are injury impacted, or raided for players by Chelsea, or just for when the FA Cup later rounds kick in, Carabao Cup late rounds if we are still in, and knockout stages of Europa League if we are still in.
Alzate and Sarmiento play completely different positions, so I don’t think they’re related at all. Alzate is a deep lying central midfielder and Sarmiento is an attacking midfielder/winger.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
RDZ has all but confirmed that he is off.

I was really looking forward to seeing him this season but he plays in similar roles to Lallana, Joao Pedro, Enciso and Buonanotte so I guess that game time would have been an issue, especially with Mitoma and March nailed on as our 1st choice wingers.

Hopefully he gets his 35 games at a high quality level. I’d love to see him in the EPL with a Burnley or even Luton.

Honestly not surprised. I think in terms of right now and in terms of potential he’s behind a number of the players in the squad. I’m glad we’ll probably see more of Enciso and Buononate as a result of this move.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I was really looking forward to seeing him this season but he plays in similar roles to Lallana, Joao Pedro, Enciso and Buonanotte so I guess that game time would have been an issue, especially with Mitoma and March nailed on as our 1st choice wingers.

Hopefully he gets his 35 games at a high quality level. I’d love to see him in the EPL with a Burnley or even Luton.
It is not unheard of, for us to recall a loanee if the need arises, he is definitely one for the future and I really do not want to see him leave permanently just yet. I think a team that plays out from the back similar to the way we play is taken into consideration when accepting an approach, that rules out a move to Scotland for sure.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Alzate and Sarmiento play completely different positions, so I don’t think they’re related at all. Alzate is a deep lying central midfielder and Sarmiento is an attacking midfielder/winger.
I think Alzate can play further forward, and has done for us, agree that he is better at winning the ball than Sarmiento, and Sarmiento maybe is a better dribbler, but both seem to have the same ability to receive a ball in a tight position, step round a player or two and lay it off.
I don't see Alzate as Caicedo replacement, so if he is getting game time he will be playing further forward I reckon.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
He really does need to get a run of games. He's missed a lot of time in his two years with us due to injury.

The club clearly have a lot of belief in his ability otherwise they wouldn't have given him that new long term contract, its just about getting him game time ready and capable of playing regularly. As such I don't think the quality of the league is massively important more a team that plays a similar ish style and will give him plenty of minutes on the pitch.

Freddo

May 14, 2006
Clapham
I don't see Alzate as Caicedo replacement, so if he is getting game time he will be playing further forward I reckon.

I don't see Alzare as replacing Caicedo either, but I do see him playing that role in the games that Caicedo / his replacement doesn't play.

According to Wyscout data, Alzate has a very similar profile to Caicedo:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I don't see Alzare as replacing Caicedo either, but I do see him playing that role in the games that Caicedo / his replacement doesn't play.

According to Wyscout data, Alzate has a very similar profile to Caicedo:

RDZ tends to play a box-to-box midfielder (Mac last season) alongside a defensive midfielder (Caicedo last season).

Those two were comfortably our central best partnership against any team (because of Caicedo’s all round game). But we still looked amazing against poor sides where Caicedo’s bite and dynamism wasn’t needed with Groß and Gilmour in the centre. This is the team that put Wolves down:
IMG_2950.jpeg

However, stick Groß and Gilmour in against a Top 4 away and we creaked. This is the team that seemed to be playing in fog on the Tyne:

IMG_2949.jpeg

I imagine that Groß, Gilmour, Alzate & Dahoud will play the majority of games for us in the midfield two BUT where we need steel, strength and mobility, Caicedo or his replacement (probably Munetsi according to a hunch I have) will play alongside one of the regular 4.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
RDZ tends to play a box-to-box midfielder (Mac last season) alongside a defensive midfielder (Caicedo last season).
Without going through the line-ups, I'd say Mac played further forward after the World Cup, when we indulged his desire to be in the number 10 role. I wouldn't call the player alongside Caicedo a box-to-box midfielder in RDZ's system as that would suggest they are expected to regularly break into the area. It's more of a playmaking position with a bit of freedom to get forward occasionally.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
He really does need to get a run of games. He's missed a lot of time in his two years with us due to injury.

The club clearly have a lot of belief in his ability otherwise they wouldn't have given him that new long term contract, its just about getting him game time ready and capable of playing regularly. As such I don't think the quality of the league is massively important more a team that plays a similar ish style and will give him plenty of minutes on the pitch.
This exactly

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
RDZ has all but confirmed that he is off.

This is a shame, as I thought with his other 2 compatriots, he is a good fit for the club.
Meaning that as they're a long way from home, supporting each other.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Maybe Alzate coming back has affected the thinking here, I think they are players with similar attributes, and with Alzate now 24, and a year of contract left, excluding any additional option year (I think?), he needs to have a season here and make an impact, or move on. I am hoping we see a lot of Alzate.
I guess Sarmiento could be recalled in January if we are injury impacted, or raided for players by Chelsea, or just for when the FA Cup later rounds kick in, Carabao Cup late rounds if we are still in, and knockout stages of Europa League if we are still in.
What is it that I'm missing? Alzate plays in midfield, and also played as wing back under Potter. Sarmiento is an attacking player, normally best deployed out wide. They've both got very different skill sets too, befitting of their different positions.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
RDZ is clear. When he says Sarmiento needs to play 30/35 games, he means Sarmiento needs to build himself physically to cope with with Brighton's typical Premier League schedule. Alzate has done it last season and Sarmiento needs to do the same.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
What is it that I'm missing? Alzate plays in midfield, and also played as wing back under Potter. Sarmiento is an attacking player, normally best deployed out wide. They've both got very different skill sets too, befitting of their different positions.
I think they have similar ability and strengths on the ball, and I wouldn't narrow down either player so much, particularly Alzate who has played numerous positions for us. But you are not alone in being baffled by my opinion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here