Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sami Hyypia - "...financial things...that maybe I'm not fully aware of..."

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Our gate receipts in 2012/13 were £11.8 million. Parachute payments for the first two seasons when a team are relegated from the PL are £18 million and then £9 million for seasons 3 and 4.

The Albion are FFP busters, they lost £14.8 million in 2012/13, which was outside the FFP limit. There were however no sanctions or penalties for teams that broke the rules.

If that is the case, how can you claim we have a shoestring budget?
I'm going to slap the back of your legs, in a minute.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Why oh why do people keep banging on about this budget bullshite, based on what the club have spoon fed us.....I say once again there was no budget issue when Poyet was signing players left right and centre and there is no issue now....Last season was all about clearing the decks and getting ready for a new era, so there was no point in signing loads of players,,,hence why the loan system was used so much..We all know the squad is about 7-9 players light...Let's wait a little and see who we get shall we,,I think some people will be eating there words......But then again maybe they will think they have signed for 10 grand less than someone else offered, as CMS did.............yeah right, course he did!!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Hmmm ..... I'm going to get shot for posting this but here goes .... a mate of mine plays golf with a certain local journo who has mentioned that Oscar left because of a bust up with PB and TB over budgets. Allegedly not all the financial restrictions the board have set were made clear to Oscar when he joined. Obviously I have no idea how true this is but that statement does raise the eyebrows a bit.

.......which is why the Argus are persona non grata at the Amex.
The club suggest that Oscar knew the numbers but put forward names of people either outside the cost bracket we could afford or those who clubs refused to sell or loan.???

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If that is the case, how can you claim we have a shoestring budget?

El Presidente - don't the abbreviated medium-sized company accounts give the total wages costs either in the operating profit or staff costs note? The Albion group is in that size category at least I think. Looking at other football clubs filed accounts, they always give that info away.

Were the club's payroll costs for 2012/13 including employers national insurance c. £15m?

Regarding budgets, I suspect the 2014/15 payroll budget will be somewhere several £m lighter than at the peak when we were paying Kuzschak, Vicente, Hoskins, Barnes, Orlandi, Lopez, El Abd, Brezovan, Bridcutt, Bridge (part of), Upson and so on. That wages bill contributed to the now outlawed vast losses, but so many players have left that I would imagine Hyppia has been promised reasonable money for new player wages.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Our gate receipts in 2012/13 were £11.8 million. Parachute payments for the first two seasons when a team are relegated from the PL are £18 million and then £9 million for seasons 3 and 4.

The Albion are FFP busters, they lost £14.8 million in 2012/13, which was outside the FFP limit. There were however no sanctions or penalties for teams that broke the rules.

I could have sworn in the article you wrote, you stated that no FFP figure has been given but you estimate it at around £11 million.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I thought we deliberately brought expenses forward specifically not to be FFP Busters when the penalties kicked in.

Apparently we were on target to meet FFP last season, and the sold Bridcutt and Barnes for 4 million, spending 650K on Stephens.

Surely we met FFP last year ???

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I thought we deliberately brought expenses forward specifically not to be FFP Busters when the penalties kicked in.

Apparently we were on target to meet FFP last season, and the sold Bridcutt and Barnes for 4 million, spending 650K on Stephens.

This season not last year. We'll find out in December.
You're right in that we did spend some money on things like the electronic advertising boards, which cost a million to install, before the FFP regulations kicked in.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I could have sworn in the article you wrote, you stated that no FFP figure has been given but you estimate it at around £11 million.

You're spot on Andy. The accounting losses did exceed the FFP ones.

Last edited:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

The club have said many times that they expect to meet the £8m FFP allowable loss for the financial year ending 30 June 2014. We won't know the full figures until the accounts are filed early next calendar year though. I fully expect us to be under the limit.

Don't forget that, as things stand, the limit is £6m for the upcoming season, not £8m.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
El Presidente - don't the abbreviated medium-sized company accounts give the total wages costs either in the operating profit or staff costs note? The Albion group is in that size category at least I think. Looking at other football clubs filed accounts, they always give that info away.

Were the club's payroll costs for 2012/13 including employers national insurance c. £15m?

Regarding budgets, I suspect the 2014/15 payroll budget will be somewhere several £m lighter than at the peak when we were paying Kuzschak, Vicente, Hoskins, Barnes, Orlandi, Lopez, El Abd, Brezovan, Bridcutt, Bridge (part of), Upson and so on. That wages bill contributed to the now outlawed vast losses, but so many players have left that I would imagine Hyppia has been promised reasonable money for new player wages.

View attachment 55108

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
FFS none of the clubs in The Championship know what their budget will be until the end of the month when a FL EGM is held to discuss FFP with options to keep the figure the same or increase the figure in view of the increased parachute payments. I can see several clubs voting for the maximum increase on the table and then asking the FL for an amnesty for the 2013/2014 season.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Got a feeling we'll get nowhere on this shoestring budget. Also have a feeling Sami's not being told everything. He'll walk just like the other two. Said It once and I'll say it again. You're not going to get Into the prem on L2/L1 players/Wages. You want monkeys you pay peanuts. I know FFP is there for a reason but It's more a hindrance, more than anything else. Not helping anyone sept the top teams.

this is why Jones is still on the staff

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I suppose the proof will be the quality of signings we will make, but people expecting them to spend millions are deluded. I hope Sami was made aware of this can't believe they wouldn't have made this plainly clear for him to see or we are heading for a hatrick

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
I highly doubt Sami is under any illusion as to our finances concerning player transfers and wages. This would have all been covered off prior to his announcement as manager.
He must believe the resources available to him are adequate to compete at the expected level, or he surely would not have taken the job. Possibly the reason Sherwood turned us down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here