Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sami Hyypia - "...financial things...that maybe I'm not fully aware of..."

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm sure there are clubs who's top brass put themselves forward to the fans as much as the Albion.
But I doubt there are many, and I doubt they are as prolific.

Yet even with that and the investment it would still seem to be not enough.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm sure there are clubs who's top brass put themselves forward to the fans as much as the Albion.
But I doubt there are many, and I doubt they are as prolific.

Yet even with that and the investment it would still seem to be not enough.

Why do they put themselves forward? It's either because

-people have questions to ask and they are willing to answer them
-they want people to know they are there, and they are willing to answer questions

If they are happy with that, why is it such an issue for you?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
But surely, at some point, you have to reach that stage of looking at Tony's body of Albion work when you say his intentions are honourable.
It certainly doesn't bear scrutiny from a bunch of fat middle aged men who can't even make their month pay cheque last a full 31 days.

Brilliant, the best statement on this thread. :thumbsup:

All this guff about "asking questions to keep them on their toes"; totally delusional!

It's something of a truism but people that have an over-inflated opinion of their worth are most often too far up themselves to realise it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why do they put themselves forward? It's either because

-people have questions to ask and they are willing to answer them
-they want people to know they are there, and they are willing to answer questions

If they are happy with that, why is it such an issue for you?
Its not, I just struggle to understand the need to question everything and beat the club up over every tiny non-issue.
Once I started noticing people wanting to know everything all the time, it became everywhere, and I genuinely just don't understand.

Westdene has gone some way to explaining it being in his DNA, but even he then goes to great lengths to explain how unnecessary it all is, by virtue of the boards availability.

I keep coming back to, 'what does the club have to do, in order to prove it's genuine?'.
For which the people who desperately want to 'ask questions' seem unable to answer.

I would seem reasonable to think the club could carry on without a conspiracy theory round every corner.

Last edited:

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I'm an IT Business Consultant, ( when in work ) I'm paid to ask CEOs and board executives difficult questions - I guess I just can't stop :cool:

Ah, that explains a lot.

I've spent a much of my career living with or clearing up some of the cr*p left in the wake of initiatives instigated by Ernst & Young, KPMG, PWC, CapGemini etc. at the behest of one senior exec or another who's here today and gone tomorrow. One thing I've learnt is that the interests of Consultancies are rarely aligned with the long term good of their client company and mostly focused on extending engagement times and maximising income streams.

Your cool smiley is also telling, one thing a successful consultant should never be without is an inflated sense of their own worth. :thumbsup:

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I keep coming back to, 'what does the club have to do, in order to prove it's genuine?'.
For which the people who desperately want to 'ask questions' seem unable to answer.

Unfortunately the answer to that is 'Nothing' because whatever is said and whatever proof is provided there will always be those who don't believe.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
12857.strip.gif

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Ah, that explains a lot.

I've spent a much of my career living with or clearing up some of the cr*p left in the wake of initiatives instigated by Ernst & Young, KPMG, PWC, CapGemini etc. at the behest of one senior exec or another who's here today and gone tomorrow. One thing I've learnt is that the interests of Consultancies are rarely aligned with the long term good of their client company and mostly focused on extending engagement times and maximising income streams.

Your cool smiley is also telling, one thing a successful consultant should never be without is an inflated sense of their own worth. :thumbsup:

Well thank you for that glowing reference :thumbsup:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Well you've been on about him the last few days, that's why I've noticed it. You were never part of the old DK clique, so why the issue with the current regime?

I dont have an issue with the "regime" as such. Just asking questions about the way barber goes about things.

Given past history of mis managment, losing the Goldstone and having the Amex "produced". there is likely to be a hangover effect where suspision is leveled at bloom, barber et al as well as a messiah complex aimed at him by accolites. And in time honoured NSC tradition theres no middle ground, you are one extreme or the other.

I think vigilance and suspision are the prefered mode for me at the moment. Would be the same if Dick Knight built the amex etc. I'm not part of any faction, im just offering up my own jaundiced and cynical opinion from the gap where a heart should be.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I dont have an issue with the "regime" as such. Just asking questions about the way barber goes about things.

Given past history of mis managment, losing the Goldstone and having the Amex "produced". there is likely to be a hangover effect where suspision is leveled at bloom, barber et al as well as a messiah complex aimed at him by accolites. And in time honoured NSC tradition theres no middle ground, you are one extreme or the other.

I think vigilance and suspision are the prefered mode for me at the moment. Would be the same if Dick Knight built the amex etc. I'm not part of any faction, im just offering up my own jaundiced and cynical opinion from the gap where a heart should be.

Fair enough, and that's a more measured response. There's nothing wrong with questioning, but it bugs me when people moan about the way things are done, without offering up a viable alternative way of doing things. And it annoys me that Barber comes in for so much stick, when he is a Bloom man through and through, and Bloom never gets any. If people have an issue with the way the club is run, then it's not Barber they should be directing their ire at, it's the big (little) man in Australia. Personally, I think Barber is doing a cracking job in difficult circumstances. His job is to be the bad guy, after all.

The thing I really don't understand, is why people have to know everything about the inner workings of the football club they support now. In the Goldstone days we never heard that xxx from the under 19s has just signed a new contract or, xxx catering firm has just won the new £xxx contract for the training ground etc, it just happened. The season finished in May, everyone went on holiday and forgot about football, and then it started again in August and we were all excited about which new players would be running out the tunnel for the first game. What happened?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
The thing I really don't understand, is why people have to know everything about the inner workings of the football club they support now. In the Goldstone days we never heard that xxx from the under 19s has just signed a new contract or, xxx catering firm has just won the new £xxx contract for the training ground etc, it just happened. The season finished in May, everyone went on holiday and forgot about football, and then it started again in August and we were all excited about which new players would be running out the tunnel for the first game. What happened?

Its the information age. If theres info to be known you will get some people who will demand to know it. There really are people who get of on minute trivia. And of course if there are gaps in information then people are quick to fill the gap with conjecture, made up stuff or fantacy. This is the dawning of the conspiracy theorists. The trolls, the propogandists, the religous maniacs. All crave to handle and mis handle information as having a tab on the fountain of knowledge. This is why Ernest was before his time and is a genius.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here