Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sami Hyypia - "...financial things...that maybe I'm not fully aware of..."

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Yup, option 2 is far healthier. But getting to option 2 will probably involve an element of option 1 to start with. At the time of that interview, he had not yet sat down with David Burke so he was not aware of the level of player that we are looking at. I am sure that he now is. It that transpires to be a problem then so be it, but he cannot possibly be unhappy yet (if he is we are in deep doo doo).

Yes, I'd accept that. I agree too that he can't possibly be upset yet, and didn't mean to imply that he was (are you reading [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] ? :wink: ). If he says something similar in a month, I'd be seriously concerned. Perhaps all that is needed is for TB/PB/DB to ensure that he doesn't feel the need to do so in a month's time?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Yes, I'd accept that. I agree too that he can't possibly be upset yet, and didn't mean to imply that he was (are you reading @Ernest ? :wink: ). If he says something similar in a month, I'd be seriously concerned. Perhaps all that is needed is for TB/PB/DB to ensure that he doesn't feel the need to do so in a month's time?

Well I am certain that over this summer some comments will be made about players out of our reach. But we will sign some quality players, that I am certain.

L

litmanen

http://huuhkaja.tv/?huu=05292CEB

Hyypiä has a press conference in Finland right now about Brighton. Yes, everyone is so interested about Brighton now =) They are broadcasting it live.
He said that the club wants 6 or 7 new players. Center back and goalkeeper are the most important new signings. He would have been interested of becoming assistant manager to the finnish national team, but because he signed with Brighton he feels that he does not have time for that, so it's not an option anymore. He wants to have both young talents and experienced players in the squad. And he wants to talk with Ulloa, because he wants Ulloa to stay. He had difficulties pronouncing Ulloa :)

Last edited:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Hyypiä has a press conference in Finland right now about Brighton. Yes, everyone is so interested about Brighton now =) They are broadcasting it live.
He said that the club wants 6 or 7 new players. Center back and goalkeeper are the most important new signings.

Thanks for this. Any other useful snippets would be appreciated. Any idea what he's doing back in Finland?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i think this is an awful lot of assumptions from one or two words, that might not mean what is being read. it may be he simply needs clarification of structure of budgets, maybe we have a policy he's not aware of that needs clarifying. at this stage it too early to start suggesting he's not been given the budget he expects.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
If Sami Hyypia does not know that we have a budget that will not allow us to compete with clubs with parachute payments or those that have no regard for FFP. Then I am sorry, but then he is a bit thick. Almost every person on this board knows we don't have the biggest budget in the league. If it is meant to be a secret, its the worst kept one ever.

Tony Bloom mentioned it when he said he was looking for a manager, Paul Barber talks about it in most of his interviews. So if he failed to look at a few videos that are available on YouTube or Seagulls world, when his said he did a thorough investigation of the club, he did not do a good job.

Anyway I am sure he is not thick, so everything will be OK.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I think it just shows that he has taken the job with a grip on reality, knowing he won't be able to spray money all over the place, and that he need to go in to it further to sort out the details.

he is not stupid and is taking the limitations on board. Did he not work at Byer Leverkusen on restricted budgets, compared to othershe was competing against?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

He said that the club wants 6 or 7 new players. Center back and goalkeeper are the most important new signings. He would have been interested of becoming assistant manager to the finnish national team, but because he signed with Brighton he feels that he does not have time for that, so it's not an option anymore. He wants to have both young talents and experienced players in the squad. And he wants to talk with Ulloa, because he wants Ulloa to stay. He had difficulties pronouncing Ulloa :)

Sami finished talking now. Any other interesting snippets from our new gaffer Mr Litmanen?

L

litmanen

Sami finished talking now. Any other interesting snippets from our new gaffer Mr Litmanen?

Maybe you british fans already knew these things but at the end of the press conference Hyypiä also said that Bruno and Calderon will continue for sure, and that they will try to keep Stephen Ward as well, but Ward is not a certain thing yet.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Maybe you british fans already knew these things but Hyypiä also said that Bruno and Calderon will continue for sure, and that they will try to keep Stephen Ward as well.

No - we don't know that Bruno and Calde are staying for sure! Calde's player bio is still on the club's website, leading many to conclude that he's signed his offer, but there has been no official confirmation. We do know that we're trying to get Ward to sign a permanent deal.

Stuff like this merits its own thread - can I suggest that you start one entitled something like "Sami's press conference in Finland"?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Maybe you british fans already knew these things but Hyypiä also said that Bruno and Calderon will continue for sure, and that they will try to keep Stephen Ward as well, but Ward is not a certain thing yet.

Thank you. That is all good news, although Ward in progress, rather than done... ... I wish it was done! :)

L

litmanen

No - we don't know that Bruno and Calde are staying for sure! Calde's player bio is still on the club's website, leading many to conclude that he's signed his offer, but there has been no official confirmation.

His exact words were: "We have a couple of spanish wingbacks, and they are staying".

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
But he does not hold the budget - how much does the manager actually need to know about the budgets? He can put forward names and suggestions and it is up to DB's team to do the legwork and find out whether they are available and affordable.

Yep, and at the end of the season when Sammi departs, Bloom can laugh in his interview and say Sammi's targets were unrealistic.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
So 1 sentence and NSC starts making assumptions - as per usual i guess.

Also, isnt the FFP meeting coming up where limits might change ? That would certainly effect our budget and it could increase, perhaps this is what he means.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Yes, indeed. I'd be pretty sure that the budget would have been discussed, and he kind of implies that it was by his use of the words "...maybe...not fully...." (my emphasis), but he's, imo, clearly indicating that there are gaps in his knowledge, which is a bit worrying.

If those gaps are tiny, it's to be understood. If however, there are material gaps (which perhaps there might be, otherwise why would he bring the point up at all?), it's not great.

I would have thought an understanding of what is available or who will be targeted by the club is fundamental to a newly appointed manager, its a little concerning that it should even be mentioned at this stage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here