Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sami has Steadied the Ship

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Why does this 1 win in 11 games keep coming up ? It is 1 win in 14 games and 12 points. 1 win 9 draws 4 defeats. 12 points out of 42

You are being similarly selective. Why start after we won two games? Equally I could say 3 wins in 16 games and 18 points.
I'd have thought the most telling statistic is 18 games: 3 wins, 9 draws, 6 losses.
That's not good, but my view is it is getting better, and it will get better. It's also my view that Sami wasn't helped out at all at the start of the season, and we still need to spend some of the money that we got from the sales of Ulloa, Buckley, Bridcutt and Barnes. Ideally on a goalscoring striker.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
We can talk about the stats etc. We have gone X amount of time without defeat etc. but the real question is, do we believe Sami has what it takes to turn this around. Regardless of results, have we seen the evidence to suggest that he is tactically astute and that he not only has a game plan, but he can change a game with his decisions. Regardless of the talent he has on the bench, I'm afraid to say I have seen little of this.

I'm quite worried to be honest, as I think the management team will carry on doing what they believe to be the right thing until it is too late. Changing manager when bottom of the league can turn things around (as we know), but waiting until then is a bit too risky.

Here's hoping Sami starts winning.

Also, can he do something to bloody well endear himself to us fans! I like the odd fist pump and badge kiss even if it is bollox.

I disagree with you on Sami, but this is at least a reasoned argument that might turn out to be true. It's less his game plan or lack of sideline antics that I think Sami's got wrong. There have been some strange decisions: taking both Colunga and Baldock off against Bournemouth after they'd both scored, for instance; the point made earlier in this thread about who is designated as penalty-takers; and a few others that I can't dredge up from my rubbish memory. Details like this matter.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Why on earth do x defeats in x games make a difference?! We lost the joint fewest games in the 2012/2013 season.

That got us nowhere!

We can go unbeaten until May by drawing every game and we will end up in league one.

Defeat v Fulham and he should be sacked.

Your first three lines follows an impeccable logic: draws don't get you very far -- trade two draws, for a win and a loss, and you've got an extra point. I don't see what your last sentence has got to do with what came before. And, fortunately, Bloom can see through this too.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You are being similarly selective. Why start after we won two games? Equally I could say 3 wins in 16 games and 18 points.
I'd have thought the most telling statistic is 18 games: 3 wins, 9 draws, 6 losses.
That's not good, but my view is it is getting better, and it will get better. It's also my view that Sami wasn't helped out at all at the start of the season, and we still need to spend some of the money that we got from the sales of Ulloa, Buckley, Bridcutt and Barnes. Ideally on a goalscoring striker.

This. I've been as fed up with Sami as anyone, and was calling for his head not long ago. But personally, I've changed my mind a little bit. Five points from three games that could easily have been nine, suggests maybe things are improving. And really, why bin someone after 18 games? We're not exactly marooned at the bottom of the league.

Let's just see if Hyppia learns from his mistakes before we make sweeping changes - starting with abandoning the squad rotation that has done nothing but destabalise the squad. If in January he can bring in Elliott Bennett, sell CMS for anything over £700k, we could be a very different side with Stevens coming back. And we're still at the stage where five straight wins would put a very different spin on things. Whilst it's looking unlikely at the moment, we've seen it happen before, and we all know that this squad is potentially capable of that with a few small tweaks. We've even started scoring.

And one last thing - if we're looking utter turd by the end of the year, I would want him gone.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
"Also, can he do something to bloody well endear himself to us fans! I like the odd fist pump and badge kiss even if it is bollox"

I've been thinking for a while now that had Sami just waved at us at the beginning of the first game he'd be getting an easier ride - and he can't do it now because that would look like bowing to pressure. I know people say he's Finnish and he doesn't like to show emotion, but he played for Liverpool for a long time, so he knows how English football works.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
There are a good few clubs in this relegation scrap, many of whom have got good players. It is about effort, holding ones nerve and some reasonable investment in January. Certainly we are playing OK and no more than that.

He has steadied the ship with more reasonable tactics. I am content with him for now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This. I've been as fed up with Sami as anyone, and was calling for his head not long ago. But personally, I've changed my mind a little bit. Five points from three games that could easily have been nine, suggests maybe things are improving. And really, why bin someone after 18 games? We're not exactly marooned at the bottom of the league.

Let's just see if Hyppia learns from his mistakes before we make sweeping changes - starting with abandoning the squad rotation that has done nothing but destabalise the squad. If in January he can bring in Elliott Bennett, sell CMS for anything over £700k, we could be a very different side with Stevens coming back. And we're still at the stage where five straight wins would put a very different spin on things. Whilst it's looking unlikely at the moment, we've seen it happen before, and we all know that this squad is potentially capable of that with a few small tweaks. We've even started scoring.

And one last thing - if we're looking utter turd by the end of the year, I would want him gone.
I just don't see how anyone can ask for anything other than this

The reactionary nature of us not winning every game is amazing.
Sacking Sami implies he's solely responsible.
The club has a game plan, and 10 now 18 games is hardly enough time to judge a new man in a new situation.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast

The club has a game plan, and 10 now 18 games is hardly enough time to judge a new man in a new situation.

But if you accept only getting around £700k for CMS that's a big loss on paper, isn't it? Shouldn't you persevere and try to get some more goals out of him and then sell?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Can I return a this to this?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
But if you accept only getting around £700k for CMS that's a big loss on paper, isn't it? Shouldn't you persevere and try to get some more goals out of him and then sell?
All footballers reach a point where their sale value is less than a club paid for him. CMS is at that point right now with us and to be fair, he was massively over-priced when we bought him. The club needed a marquee signing for the new era at The Amex. In hindsight he wasn't the right choice-a common trait amongst all football clubs.

If we get anything close to £700,000 for him we'll have done well.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I'm pretty much spot on with this. I was fuming at him not so long ago, especially persisting with the fullbacks so high up, but he seems to be adapting, learning, and the players are definitely giving their all for him at this point. Got to give him a bit of a chance now there are signs of improvement.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Draws suggest consistency and that a minor improvement will bring consistently better results.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

Don't think you will find it has anything to do with being "reactionary" certainly not in my case anyway. Results have been appalling so far in general and our defending this season has been appalling. Our recent win against Wigan was pretty lucky on the whole as we did absolutely nothing for the entire second half. I've seen nothing to suggest Hyypia will turn it around. I want him out now. I've haven't hated a manager like this for god knows how long.

Last edited:

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
"Also, can he do something to bloody well endear himself to us fans! I like the odd fist pump and badge kiss even if it is bollox"

I've been thinking for a while now that had Sami just waved at us at the beginning of the first game he'd be getting an easier ride - and he can't do it now because that would look like bowing to pressure. I know people say he's Finnish and he doesn't like to show emotion, but he played for Liverpool for a long time, so he knows how English football works.
He's not finished! He's only 41!

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Think you will find it's nothing to do with being "reactionary" as you put it. Results have been appalling so far in general and our defending this season has been appalling. Our recent win against against Wigan was pretty lucky on the whole as we did absolutely nothing for the entire second half. I've seen nothing to suggest Hyypia will turn it around. I want him out now. I've haven't hated a manager like this for god knows how long.

Nothing personal but I disagree with literally everything you've just said. Everything. The joys of debating on a footy forum!

"Results have been appalling so far in general" - Well, yes and no. We've not won many but we've not lost many either and we are improving
"our defending this season has been appalling" - In some spells yes, but we've conceded some freakish goals and some worldies. 9 teams have conceded more goals and 4 of those are the top 4
"win against against Wigan was pretty lucky on the whole as we did absolutely nothing for the entire second half" - Except defend really well
"I've seen nothing to suggest Hyypia will turn it around" - I honestly see improvement, he's reined in the wing-back nonsense, started playing players in their right positions and our performances are looking more positive
"I've haven't hated a manager like this for god knows how long" - I really cannot bring myself to hate Hyypia. Don't get me wrong, I'm not overly enamoured with him either but he's not done anything at all to be deserving of hatred.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

I see what you mean but Im no reactionary. Is not a case of not winning every game for me. Its THREE.

Two of which in August. In August!

I dont expect us to win every game. But I do expect us to have won more than THREE by almost the end of November.

Its not good enough WHICHEVER way you (well not you personally!) slice it or present it. WINS are whats required and WINS are NOT happening.

Last edited:

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Nothing personal but I disagree with literally everything you've just said. Everything. The joys of debating on a footy forum!

"Results have been appalling so far in general" - Well, yes and no. We've not won many but we've not lost many either and we are improving
"our defending this season has been appalling" - In some spells yes, but we've conceded some freakish goals and some worldies. 9 teams have conceded more goals and 4 of those are the top 4
"win against against Wigan was pretty lucky on the whole as we did absolutely nothing for the entire second half" - Except defend really well
"I've seen nothing to suggest Hyypia will turn it around" - I honestly see improvement, he's reined in the wing-back nonsense, started playing players in their right positions and our performances are looking more positive
"I've haven't hated a manager like this for god knows how long" - I really cannot bring myself to hate Hyypia. Don't get me wrong, I'm not overly enamoured with him either but he's not done anything at all to be deserving of hatred.

Good to see a positive perspective. No one is pretending that it has been a brilliant season and we certainly aren't out of the woods just yet, but there are encouraging signs of progress. Personally I don't really care who the manager is if the football is decent and if he is willing to learn from mistakes. The evidence suggests that Sami is beginning to tick those boxes.

Yes it would be good for us fans to see a bit more passion from Sami, but doesn't mean he is a disaster. I try to imagine what the ride would be like with a contrasting character like Tim Sherwood at the helm. Maybe the football would be better, maybe not. There would be passion, indiscrete comments, maybe evidence of blood across the dressing room walls and possibly greater media interest in off the pitch matters. Some fans might find that appealing. I don't think it is Tony Bloom's style.

Each of Tony Bloom's managerial appointments have very significant playing pedigrees. However none of them could be described as long standing managers of great repute or necessarily as 'safe pairs of hands'. So clearly he is willing to place his trust in comparatively young and unproven products. However I'm not surprised that Tony Bloom has recently opted for quieter, dignified men, having had his fingers burned by the outspoken Poyet. I think we have to accept this is likely to be the template for Bloom's reign. Certainly there are many effective organisations where the managerial figurehead has a dignified and restrained persona, content to leave the fire and brimstone to his deputy to deal with behind closed doors.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

He will have to be. Season Tix rnls around Feb and when we are languishing (and we will be I have no doubt if Sami is in charge) and watch the take up drop/cancellation of the DDs increase.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here