Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sami has Steadied the Ship

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So you are having another dig at Stockdale, but trying to be a little bit diplomatic about it, for once.

Not at him specifically but the defence generally. If those in front reduced the shots he had to save and he saved the ones that got through we would keep a clean sheet. When and only when that happens will we start winning unless we go gung ho like Kevin Keegans teams and win 4-3 each week.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I am more positive now than I have been since end of August. Strikers appearing to be settling in and I am sure the goals will come as we are creating a lot of chances. The bottom line is is that in my opinon there are a number of teams worse than us around us and once we get a win, then we will get more.

HOME FORM WORRIES ME THOUGH. if we could play all games away, I think we could sneak a play off!! When I go to a home game, I actually expect us to loose no matter who we are playing, but away i actually think we can sneak a win.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Only one defeat in six now and two defeats in our last eleven league outings, both defeats coming by the odd goal (against the sides in 2nd and 3rd to add). This shows we're now a tough side to play against and no-one gets anything easy against us. Sami has steadied the ship we now need to take this forward and converting those draws into victories but it shows we're not far away and hopefully with everyone behind Sami and the boys we can turn this bottoming out of our form into a serious upward curve.

:clap:

:ascarf:

Where were you when we were sh*t.

A month ago I waging a lonely one man war against the tidal wave of negativity.
Now after an encouraging couple of results (by virtue of the fact they weren't as bad as the previous ones) it Team Sami.

I was only fighting the good fight because I'm a contrarian.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Clearly the problem is strikers scoring goals.

We still have a decent goals conceded total, but are something like the 6th lowest scorers.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Not quite sure if a 3-3 draw is steadying the ship. I am still concerned that this strategy of two (sometimes3) holding midfielders within fullbacks going AWOL is ever going to steady things. We got slaughtered down the left flank on Saturday and I don't think that would have been so bad with a proper full back and a proper winger. Jury's still out on SH tactics. I so want it to work but there comes a time ...........

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
It worries me that even something as simple as having a designated penalty taker has not been sorted!

Colunga took the ball on Saturday, someone else had to wrestle Gardner and JFC away from him....

But last time we got a penalty, JFC and Colunga were both on the pitch, but JFC took it and scored it. So WTF is going on? And does Gardner really think that trying to wrestle the ball away from Colunga is going to improve his focus and state of mind at the critical point?

And to top it all, Sami admitted we really ought to have a designated penalty taker in his post match interview!!! FFS, to all those who have a theory that Sami is a disorganised shambles, I am with you on that one.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
How we played against Norwich was much, much better. It was pretty good to watch, a few issues I take with it, but I don't think Hyypia can be blamed for Redmond tearing Bennett a new one. A lot of the build up play was enjoyable, of course, we could be better in front of goal. Colunga's looking much better, I think if we can just get him a partner or a decent enough playmaker, he'll be crucial to our season.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
How we played against Norwich was much, much better. It was pretty good to watch, a few issues I take with it, but I don't think Hyypia can be blamed for Redmond tearing Bennett a new one. A lot of the build up play was enjoyable, of course, we could be better in front of goal. Colunga's looking much better, I think if we can just get him a partner or a decent enough playmaker, he'll be crucial to our season.
Colunga just needs a bit of time, it has been a huge culture shock moving from Spain to England. Once he's settled and gets used to our way of doing things he'll be a huge asset to the team. That cross for Bruno was perfection (as was his setting up of Ince at Swindon). I think he's a great little player.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Looks like Saturday is going to be a large home attendance both in terms of sold tickets and ar$es on seats if you look at ticket website

Interesting, why is that then? we are not exactly flying but looking better, Fulham are improving but no great shakes its not exactly a top of the table clash of the titans now is it.
Could it be one of those strange things that happen because when we were both in the same league back in the Goldstone days Fulham always attracted a bumper crowd, in fact without looking it up I seem to remember that one Fulham fixture was one of, if not the highest attendance we have had, 36,000 odd (I could be wrong though)
Spooky

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I am more positive now than I have been since end of August. Strikers appearing to be settling in and I am sure the goals will come as we are creating a lot of chances. The bottom line is is that in my opinon there are a number of teams worse than us around us and once we get a win, then we will get more.

HOME FORM WORRIES ME THOUGH. if we could play all games away, I think we could sneak a play off!! When I go to a home game, I actually expect us to loose no matter who we are playing, but away i actually think we can sneak a win.

This is it, really. Another encouraging away performance and we look forward to building on it with the next home match -problem is that the last 4 home matches have been, shall we say, uninspiring, and we are back to square one, and I am that we could go even further back. I would love to be optimistic about 3 points against a rapidly improving Fulham, but my confidence has been shaken so many times, that realism has to kick in, sadly. Hope that I am wrong!

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
HAS HE? I really really want to believe but we are level on points with a team in relegation and two fifths of the season is over. What I find interesting is that there is no national media speculation about... even the FL Show seems to be avoiding talking about Brighton.

The decisions have got to be very soon. If we are going to change the manager it has to happen before the transfer window opens or the next manager (if we sack) won't have time to build the side. At the same time we are NOT losing... so there is reason to hope for Sami.... I want him to stay but we have to win at least one before Xmas or really the bullet will have to be bitten. Is it his fault? Possibly not. If he'd been given the right team it might have been different but he is the face of the team and the focal point for the club so it is him who would have to go.

I think we are in the last hanse saloon... and should be.... let's be honest compared to nearly every other team in the Championship we have been incredibly patient.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Colunga just needs a bit of time, it has been a huge culture shock moving from Spain to England. Once he's settled and gets used to our way of doing things he'll be a huge asset to the team. That cross for Bruno was perfection (as was his setting up of Ince at Swindon). I think he's a great little player.

And a superbly taken penalty as well, composed and confident. I like what I see and I think he could turn out to be a bit of a star for us.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Where were you when we were sh*t.

A month ago I waging a lonely one man war against the tidal wave of negativity.
Now after an encouraging couple of results (by virtue of the fact they weren't as bad as the previous ones) it Team Sami.

I was only fighting the good fight because I'm a contrarian.

Do you pay over £600.00 pounds like me for a season ticket or are you a complete tosser---Please tell me I'm wrong?

My long dead Grand Dad took me in the late sixties---me being pushed to the front of the Chicken Run

You appear to have taken on EVERYONE who worries where the team is going.

Last edited:

matbha

Apr 13, 2014
And a superbly taken penalty as well, composed and confident. I like what I see and I think he could turn out to be a bit of a star for us.
I think the boy is a great talent , the ball to Bruno was wow , and he can take a good pen !!

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
The only difference between this season and last is a goal scorer. We're a tough side to beat because we don't attack with enough creative players (three holding midfeilders every game). A point a game is relegation form! We need to push on and start winning. At this rate, we'll be the first team relegated with a goal difference equal to those in 12th-10th!
Yep this midfield trio are not what we need to turn draws into a win's as none of them create or score and obviously they don't defend well.Time we got rid of these ineffective midfielders and got some big pacey creative bossy midfielders.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
HAS HE? I really really want to believe but we are level on points with a team in relegation and two fifths of the season is over. What I find interesting is that there is no national media speculation about... even the FL Show seems to be avoiding talking about Brighton.

The decisions have got to be very soon. If we are going to change the manager it has to happen before the transfer window opens or the next manager (if we sack) won't have time to build the side. At the same time we are NOT losing... so there is reason to hope for Sami.... I want him to stay but we have to win at least one before Xmas or really the bullet will have to be bitten. Is it his fault? Possibly not. If he'd been given the right team it might have been different but he is the face of the team and the focal point for the club so it is him who would have to go.

I think we are in the last hanse saloon... and should be.... let's be honest compared to nearly every other team in the Championship we have been incredibly patient.
The manager doesn't pick the players of choice,so it really doesn't matter.No doubt burk will go and waste a few more million in jan on injury prone or useless lumps.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Simples keep drawing = relegation but some on this thread seem to think that is good. Just keep closing your eyes to the fact we have only won 3 league games all season which is the 2nd worst in the championship and are also the 6th worst scorers as well

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Simples keep drawing = relegation but some on this thread seem to think that is good. Just keep closing your eyes to the fact we have only won 3 league games all season which is the 2nd worst in the championship and are also the 6th worst scorers as well

Exactly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here