Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sam Baldock

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
He was good today. Best player we had IMHO and certainly the most threat going forward. His movement is very good. Pity no one on the pitch can see it. Also he is used to playing as a front 2 not stuck out wide. We really should be buying players with this in mind. If we wanted 2 attacking wide players that is what we should have brought instead of buying CF and playing that out wide. Goes for Colunga as well. He also used to playing through the middle yet another who is left out wide.

The Campanologist

Sep 1, 2014
I completely disagree.

He played several excellent passes today and worked really hard. He kept finding himself going to get the ball as our midfield was non-existent and he keep going out wide.

I don't blame the player, the fault is with the manager and the lack of industry in midfield.

I'm sorry but I completely disagree with you.

I saw several excellent passes from him yes - but they were in positions that were totally harmless to the opposition. And he's not in the team to make those passes, he's in the team to score goals and create havoc in and around the penalty area.

He's making a pretty abysmal attempt at doing that right now.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
............with the likes of Solly on the wing and Stephens in the midfield and he may get some better chances coming his way.................
For heavens sake, they're both injured at the moment! I know it's a fact that injured players get better every week they're out injured (these two will be world class when they finally return), but strangely, the minute they actually lace up their boots and get out on the pitch, they will instantly revert to being no better than the rest!

albionite

May 20, 2009
Funny how we all see the game differently. I thought baldock had a good game considering he was played out wide. (Yeah I know he didn't score)
Where as I thought jake had an awful game but others singing his praises on another thread.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I'm sorry but I completely disagree with you.

I saw several excellent passes from him yes - but they were in positions that were totally harmless to the opposition. And he's not in the team to make those passes, he's in the team to score goals and create havoc in and around the penalty area.

He's making a pretty abysmal attempt at doing that right now.

Well lets agree to disagree then.

I stated in my previous post that the blame is with the manager. Sami's job is to get the formation and tactics right on a game by game basis, and in my opinion he has spectacularly failed to do that. Even against Cardiff when we played well overall, we were not able to get the quality of service that any striker needs to be successful.

I genuinely believe that SB has the quality to do well for us, but he needs the manager to help him to unlock his potential by getting the midfield to do their job properly.

The Campanologist

Sep 1, 2014
Good point. Put him down the middle with the likes of Solly on the wing and Stephens in the midfield and he may get some better chances coming his way, then we can really see if he`s up to it. He knows where the goal is, last season proves that, but he needs the ball slipped through to him to create scoring opportunities, not coming off the wing like he is being asked to at the moment.

Ah yes of course that's the solution - put him down the middle with our long term injured players Solly and Stephens supplying the ammunition and everything is fine.

That should be superb in a couple of months - can't wait!!

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
He was good today. Best player we had IMHO and certainly the most threat going forward. His movement is very good. Pity no one on the pitch can see it. Also he is used to playing as a front 2 not stuck out wide. We really should be buying players with this in mind. If we wanted 2 attacking wide players that is what we should have brought instead of buying CF and playing that out wide. Goes for Colunga as well. He also used to playing through the middle yet another who is left out wide.

Totally agree!

The Campanologist

Sep 1, 2014
Well lets agree to disagree then.

I stated in my previous post that the blame is with the manager. Sami's job is to get the formation and tactics right on a game by game basis, and in my opinion he has spectacularly failed to do that. Even against Cardiff when we played well overall, we were not able to get the quality of service that any striker needs to be successful.

I genuinely believe that SB has the quality to do well for us, but he needs the manager to help him to unlock his potential by getting the midfield to do their job properly.

Agree to disagree yes!!

I know you said that the blame is with the manager - but that's a different argument and a different (many of them!!) thread.

But we're talking about an individual and his performance - he's not being played as an out and out winger, and I don't think anyone can fault his work rate, but he looks completely and utterly lost, regardless of where his manager plays him.

Christ I want the bloke to do well, of course I do, but he seems so far off what is required it's scary.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I completely disagree.

He played several excellent passes today and worked really hard. He kept finding himself going to get the ball as our midfield was non-existent and he keep going out wide.

I don't blame the player, the fault is with the manager and the lack of industry in midfield.

Agreed. Lots of great runs, not found.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I've been a big critic of SB, that that was his best performance to date. More promising.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Agree to disagree yes!!

I know you said that the blame is with the manager - but that's a different argument and a different (many of them!!) thread.

But we're talking about an individual and his performance - he's not being played as an out and out winger, and I don't think anyone can fault his work rate, but he looks completely and utterly lost, regardless of where his manager plays him.

Christ I want the bloke to do well, of course I do, but he seems so far off what is required it's scary.

Fair enough.

Here i am backing a striker who has failed to find the net so far this season, so I realise I'm on thin ice :) My point is that the best managers are able to get the best out of their players and in this case, I believe thats as much to do with his lack of goals as his own individual performance. I could be wrong of course, I'm useless as a footballer which is why I'm an IT Director by trade. I just sit with my 3 kids and best mate and his kid in our lofty perch in WSU row U and call it as I see it.

The Campanologist

Sep 1, 2014
Fair enough.

Here i am backing a striker who has failed to find the net so far this season, so I realise I'm on thin ice :) My point is that the best managers are able to get the best out of their players and in this case, I believe thats as much to do with his lack of goals as his own individual performance. I could be wrong of course, I'm useless as a footballer which is why I'm an IT Director by trade. I just sit with my 3 kids and best mate and his kid in our lofty perch in WSU row U and call it as I see it.

Hey we all call it as we see it!! Thanks for the personal info though. Slightly awkward...

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Basically he's a very good League One player. Nothing wrong with that, but not much good to us

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I completely disagree.

My thoughts too, I think he looks like he could be good if used correctly.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I'd be concerned if he had lots of chances and was missing them.

But I think I could count the number of shots he's had since he's been here on one hand. He just doesn't seem to get the ball played into him.

I was critical of him at first, but now I just feel sorry for him.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
A striker has to put the ball in the net so tell me this, what opportunities were presented to Mr Baldock by his enterprising full backs, wingers (sic), midfield dynamos and supporting strikers?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here