Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sam Baldock signs for BHAFC 4 Year Deal!

seagull 1979

Praying for points
Aug 29, 2011
Bicester
There will be some Championship centre-halves this season wondering what's hit them and why all these little guys are running rings around them.

On a different note maybe Sami is concerned about heading of the ball causing concussion and wants to limit the option of injuries. :moo:
Or the fact we can't beat the first man with a cross anyway so let's just keep the ball on the deck

seagull 1979

Praying for points
Aug 29, 2011
Bicester
Fits into plans? What about starting every game apart from against Swindon and scoring 2 goals and looking sharp and up for it?

And now that we're playing to his strengths as he recently stated

Personally I think we are copying Liverpool's rotating front 3 system from last season when they played Sturridge, Sterling & Suarez our will be a little bit more like ABC - Adrián, Baldock & Craig

Last edited:

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Really happy with this signing our strikeforce is going to cause lots of problems this season.

Would be good to have another option still though. Someone with height like Becchio who can give us a plan B.

Bolton at the weekend kept making us go wide and hit crosses with no one of any height in the box, which could be our downfall if other teams catch wind of this and it also helps to have a big forward defending. Ulloa was great last year defending corners for us.

I don't disagree that a "bigger" option gives us another way of playing, but vs. Bolton, I think our tactics were to get wide using Bennet and Calderon to take advantage of the space created by the front players..cut backs and low, fast, sliding crosses (eg Macca's goal) are the delivery we need in that situation. Cheltenham was an example of where we struggled to get the right crosses in, and kept hitting their 3 centre-halfs for 80 minutes.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
if Sami sticks to the formation he has started with so far there is only one striker

Against Swindon he played COG / Colunga from start, he finished with Tex/Colunga on the pitch with KLL / MCCourt (but wingers are not rooted in the wing under SH)
Against Birmingham and Cheltenham he played COG / CMS from start
Bolton it looked like CMS alone up front with Tex behind
He's argued that he likes having 2 players for every position given the Saturday-Tuesday schedule of a 46 game season and likely injuries,suspensions,form loss etc.

So 4 strikers/attacking players in COG, Colunga, CMS and Baldock is giving him lots of options and he looks prepared to be flexible depending on results/performance. Not sure if saying his preferred system is "one striker".

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I thought Bristol City said they wanted close to 4 million so how comes we got him for 1.5 million?

not quite, it was the prize bell-end Cotterill that fantasised he was worth 4 million and he failed in trying to start a bidding war, looks like the money men took the cash rather than let him walk on a free.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
Against Swindon he played COG / Colunga from start, he finished with Tex/Colunga on the pitch with KLL / MCCourt (but wingers are not rooted in the wing under SH)
Against Birmingham and Cheltenham he played COG / CMS from start
Bolton it looked like CMS alone up front with Tex behind
He's argued that he likes having 2 players for every position given the Saturday-Tuesday schedule of a 46 game season and likely injuries,suspensions,form loss etc.

So 4 strikers/attacking players in COG, Colunga, CMS and Baldock is giving him lots of options and he looks prepared to be flexible depending on results/performance. Not sure if saying his preferred system is "one striker".

not saying he is playing one player that could be described as a striker
but one player as a central striker
and 2 supporting strikers /attacking midfielders
who I think will be now Jao tex and colunga behind Baldcock
with good options on the bench

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Really happy with this signing our strikeforce is going to cause lots of problems this season.

Would be good to have another option still though. Someone with height like Becchio who can give us a plan B.

Bolton at the weekend kept making us go wide and hit crosses with no one of any height in the box, which could be our downfall if other teams catch wind of this and it also helps to have a big forward defending. Ulloa was great last year defending corners for us.

This was worrying me, but Holla is nearly 6 foot tall and Gary Gardner is 6 foot 2 inches. Maybe one of them will do the job Ulloa and Barnes did at corners. I was surprised at the Baldock signing though, having signed Colunga. His signing made me wonder if he was Plan B in case we didn't get Baldock, though didn't someone say that Wazza had scouted both players?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Bristol City FC ‏@bcfctweets 37m
SC: "Think about where the bidding started. We've ended up getting close on £2m - it was good business, with Kieran coming in for £750k."

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I wouldnt believe that as apparently we offered £750k so I would say double that at the most. £1.5m

Why? It's not a game of Texas Hold 'em where the blinds exactly double every x minutes. I would think if Cotterill's gone on record via their official twitter that they got close to 2 million then they got close to 2 million.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Why? It's not a game of Texas Hold 'em where the blinds exactly double every x minutes. I would think if Cotterill's gone on record via their official twitter that they got close to 2 million then they got close to 2 million.

As ever with these figures, there will be add-ons attached, and people will include them or not include them, as best suits their agenda. Say for example it was £1m up front, with £0.5m on 30 appearances and another £0.5m if we are promoted during his contract. The buying club will leak a figure of £1m, and the selling club (Cotterill in this case) will mention a figure of £2m. Neither are actually 'lying'...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here