Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sam Allardyce New England Manager

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
He has a reputation as a relegation fire fighter and this seems to be where England are after the Euros. His levels of preparation would not have allowed for the defensive fubars that handed Iceland a quarter final place. I just hope that the show ponies will play for him.

I'm not sure that comparison works. He is used to getting the best out of limited groups of players, getting them to play above the sum of their parts. He isn't needing to fire fight with England at all as he has the opposite problem. Talented players who underachieve when the pressure is on as a group who seem to freeze mentally. That's not to say that Allardyce isn't capable of sorting that, but it is a different scenario to the one he has mainly been faced with as a manager up to now.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
If he had been appointed Brighton manager I would be gutted.

However I think the England manager should be English and Big Sam has as good a chance as anyone else to get the best out of the England player conundrum.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
If he had been appointed Brighton manager I would be gutted.

However I think the England manager should be English and Big Sam has as good a chance as anyone else to get the best out of the England player conundrum.

I do not see him as a international manger at all. Very poor appointment who has won bugger all. A fighter and nothing more. You need a bit more class than that when playing on the bigger stage.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
I do not see him as a international manger at all. Very poor appointment who has won bugger all. A fighter and nothing more. You need a bit more class than that when playing on the bigger stage.
What's he meant to win with the teams he's managed??

What managers would you have preferred for the job? That had "won something"?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
What's he meant to win with the teams he's managed??

What managers would you have preferred for the job? That had "won something"?
That's exactly my point. He has only managed lesser teams because that about his limit. That says all you know. Even someone like Moyes managed to attract a bigger club to manage.

As for the next manager i have no idea. Not my job. The 3 candidates put forward were all poor.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
That's exactly my point. He has only managed lesser teams because that about his limit. That says all you know. Even someone like Moyes managed to attract a bigger club to manage.

As for the next manager i have no idea. Not my job. The 3 candidates put forward were all poor.
Everything is relative. He has been very successful with the clubs he managed. He got Bolton into Europe. BOLTON!

He built the foundation's Bilic at West Ham. He turned Sunderland around and kept them up.

He gets teams organised and playing a certain system. Hodgson had no idea of his preferred formation let alone first 11 going into this Euros.

Capello and Sven had won club trophies. Didn't do us any favours though did it. The FA just leaked money while they both trousered £6 million a year.

You say you want a manager that was won something yet can't even come up with any candidates because "it's not your job". How about piping down and just seeing how Sam gets on if you aren't able to offer even one other candidate.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I'm going to stick my neck out here and say he's going to be **** and the football will be ****.

MF'84

A load of Bolanos
Jul 26, 2012
Derbyshire
With our current crop of players I think Big Sam will get more out of them than anybody else would that was in the frame. He will reinstall the pride and passion of wearing the three lions that has been severely lacking for many years.

I don't mind if we don't win any tournaments as long as I can see that the players gave everything they've got and played like it really meant something - Sam will make that happen.

Really looking forward to seeing how he can transform the team.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Agreed. He mugged us with West Ham winning with their only chance of the game. I remember Gus taking solace that they had adjusted to play against Brighton, but that didn't get us any points. SA gets work because he finds a way to win. He has a reputation as a relegation fire fighter and this seems to be where England are after the Euros. His levels of preparation would not have allowed for the defensive fubars that handed Iceland a quarter final place. I just hope that the show ponies will play for him.

Exactly. Allardyce is known for his meticulous preparation. He certainly would not have been out on a cuffing BOAT TRIP in Paris while Iceland (only our potential opponents) were playing Austria down the road in that final group game.

The sheer snobbery surrounding the Allardyce appointment from some people is astonishing. Considering the series of tinpot basketcase clubs he's been in charge of in the PL, a win ratio of 33% and zero relegations deserves respect. But no, lets get some random Carlos Fandango in, who won a Copa America once, or something. Yeah THAT'LL work.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Everything is relative. He has been very successful with the clubs he managed. He got Bolton into Europe. BOLTON!

He built the foundation's Bilic at West Ham. He turned Sunderland around and kept them up.

He gets teams organised and playing a certain system. Hodgson had no idea of his preferred formation let alone first 11 going into this Euros.

Capello and Sven had won club trophies. Didn't do us any favours though did it. The FA just leaked money while they both trousered £6 million a year.

You say you want a manager that was won something yet can't even come up with any candidates because "it's not your job". How about piping down and just seeing how Sam gets on if you aren't able to offer even one other candidate.

Top post. I agree with every word.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Exactly. Allardyce is known for his meticulous preparation. He certainly would not have been out on a cuffing BOAT TRIP in Paris while Iceland (only our potential opponents) were playing Austria in that final group game.

Oh come on, that is such a red herring. In this day and age, coaching staff can get access to all manner of TV and video reruns of matches that would have pointed out Iceland's strengths on set plays. England's failure to deal with those in the Iceland match had precisely nothing to do with Hodgson and Lewington being on a boat at the time Iceland played Austria.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Fine with that. He is a good manager and is respected by the players. I don't expect him to do much more with that bunch than Hodgeson did mind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here