Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Saints Sinking

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
He did his job, we were in the bottom 3 (i think) when he came in. He probably missed the first 10 games of the season. Had we had him for the whole season I think we probably would have won the thing...

This is what was being trotted out by Saints fans all the time last season, bit pathetic if you ask me. At one point towards the end of the season, I actually looked at the results and calculated that we would still be above SCC even if you disregarded the results before Adkins came in.

Yes, he may have had the highest points per games ratio in the final reckoning - but don't you think that may have had something to do with the fact that we didn't win any of our last four games because we had already won the title by then (something you seem to conveniently forget).

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
This is what was being trotted out by Saints fans all the time last season, bit pathetic if you ask me. At one point, I actually looked at the results and demonstrated that we would still be above SCC even if you disregarded the results before Adkins came in.

Yes, he may have had the highest points per games ratio in the final reckoning - but don't you think that may have had something to do with the fact that we didn't win any of our last four games because we had already won the title by then (something you seem to conveniently forget).

Nope, I think we'd have picked up another 20 points, surpassing your points total.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Nope, I think we'd have picked up another 20 points, surpassing your points total.
And I think you wouldn't. Luckily though, what you and I think mean jack shit. We won the title without needing to win our last four games, you didn't.

Next season you'll be on here boring everyone with the mantra that you'd have been promoted in May 2012 if the season had been only 29 games long. :rolleyes:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Ok, let's look at this then. Adkins was appointed on Sep 12. These were your league results under Pardew:

Southampton 0 - 1 Plymouth
Southampton 1 - 1 Leyton Orient
Bristol R 0 - 4 Southampton
Southampton 0 - 2 Rochdale
Swindon 1 - 0 Southampton

Total: 4 points
Total available: 15 points

Even if you had won all five opening fixtures, you would still have only gained an extra 11 points. But you reckon Adkins could have got you 20! Amazing. He really must be able to perform miracles.

:lol:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Why did Millwall only play six subs? I would tip Millwall to beat Bolton reserves, but they would get beaten by their first team.

Cardiff blew a lead last year and my tip for automatic promotion because of their easiest fixture list. Reading look a good bet as well.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Why did Millwall only play six subs? I would tip Millwall to beat Bolton reserves, but they would get beaten by their first team.

Cardiff blew a lead last year and my tip for automatic promotion because of their easiest fixture list. Reading look a good bet as well.

I think one of their players was taken ill on the coach.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Since (and including) Brighton's 3-0 win over the Saint's they Have only won 2 of 8 (W2 D3 L3) In all Comps.:lol:

Just proves what this board was saying in November. Their brand of physical 'in your face' football may well work in Div 1 but after a few months in the Championship, teams are working out how to play them. Relegation fight on their hands methinks?

TNBA

TTF

He did his job, we were in the bottom 3 (i think) when he came in. He probably missed the first 10 games of the season. Had we had him for the whole season I think we probably would have won the thing...

Let it go :lol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
JJB, who does seem a reasonable poster imo, seems to be a lone Southampton voice on here since Saints have imploded. Redneb and the others are conspicuous by their absence but expect a mass invasion if we lose and they win this weekend, bigging themselves up again.

LukeOwen

Jun 7, 2011
Hampshire
Ok, let's look at this then. Adkins was appointed on Sep 12. These were your league results under Pardew:

Even if you had won all five opening fixtures, you would still have only gained an extra 11 points. But you reckon Adkins could have got you 20! Amazing. He really must be able to perform miracles.

:lolol:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I imagine their thought process is that if he was there for the whole pre-season, they would have hit the ground running, whereas after he joined them they won only one of Adkins first four games (taking 5 points from 12) as he got to know the team and got them playing the way he wanted. If he'd had a pre-season there's the 15 points they missed out on under pardew, plus the 7 points dropped during adkins' settling in period.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We completely STOPPED playing in the last 4 games, if Saints had pushed us right to the end, we would've definitely gotten more points from those. We were on holiday already.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I have watched them a few times and considered their league position was not deserved based on the performances. However points make prizes / the table dosen't lie, before I get shot down.

Would be great to finish above them and I think we will.
I highly doubt it. They've looked decent in the games I've seen them in, I expect them to be thereabouts at the end of the season. Hope I'm wrong though.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

:lolol: SCC idiots as usual, forget that we won the league at a canter.

This season they've been miles better than us, and up until the change in form over the last few weeks, that's what Brighton fans would say - SCC has been miles better. But last season, Brighton were better - easily. SCC still had 5 games left when we'd already won, so why can't they just accept it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
We completely STOPPED playing in the last 4 games, if Saints had pushed us right to the end, we would've definitely gotten more points from those. We were on holiday already.

Agreed. Was just possibly explaining the 20 points thing.

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
Not sure if it's been said already, but I think the other clubs have Saints sussed out now.

They did well for the first third of the season because they were new to this level and largely an unknown quantity, but clubs now know that if you play a very high line to deny them space to pass it about at the back they're stumped.

They're no Swansea who can then pass it around you if you try to do that to them. And it looks like they don't have a plan B.

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
Not sure if it's been said already, but I think the other clubs have Saints sussed out now.

They did well for the first third of the season because they were new to this level and largely an unknown quantity, but clubs now know that if you play a very high line to deny them space to pass it about at the back they're stumped.

They're no Swansea who can then pass it around you if you try to do that to them. And it looks like they don't have a plan B.

I thought we didn't have a Plan B ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here