[Politics] Saint George's Day

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Screenshot_20220423-154713_Chrome~2.jpg

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
One day, this country will sort out it’s icons, saints and symbols.

Firstly, I have no interest in George of Lydda. He was a Greek born in Turkey, he was a soldier and he was part of a foreign religion in the 200’s. He can do one!

Secondly, why do we make so much of the British Lion? Why can’t we have a British animal? I know we made the cool ones (Bears, Wolves & Eurasian Lynx) extinct in this country but any of them would be better than a Lion, it’s a foreign African animal FFS. Australia have got it right with their Kangaroo symbolism.

Now that we’ve got Brexit done and the Greek prince is dead, it’s about time we got control of our symbols and patron saints back again!

Edit: St George is the patron saint of Moscow. Tells you everything you need to know about him.
I vote for the badger

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Sad state of affairs. Unlike the Scots, Welsh and Irish we can't celebrate our national saints days without being branded as racist and zenophobic by the 'tolerant' arbiters of what is acceptable to them.

(....and yes, I do realise that some racists and zenophobes will celebrate St. George's day, just the same as some racists and xenophobes support the Albion or ride bicycles and do other ordinary things that ordinary people do; it doesn't make the other people doing these things racist or xenophobic too)

I think such a perception arises from the fact that historically awful groups have deliberately associated their vile politics with symbols of traditional England such as the flag of St George, the National Anthem, the pint, the pub (take note Mr Farridge!) and other insignia. They insinuate themselves on signs of Englishness eg The Daily Express image of St George, as if their's is the only kind of patriotism; it isn't.

We must resist their attempts to own these symbols and reclaim them for the entire population.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think he's patron saint of Rwanda now. He was deported.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
What a weird thing to say do you think the Scots , Welsh and Irish have the same sentiments???

Happy St George's day lovely weather as well

Regards

DF
This - Its ok for the other home nations and the Irish to have their national day but when its come to St Georges Day we English are considered racists etc if we want to celebrate out national day. Double standards.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This - Its ok for the other home nations and the Irish to have their national day but when its come to St Georges Day we English are considered racists etc if we want to celebrate out national day. Double standards.

Another one who missed post 17.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009

origigull

Jun 29, 2009

Jan 30, 2008

It's the get out of jail card for the offended throw it around when needed to try and devalue opinions

Been out and about and seen some places making a effort, the town council are flying the flag they replaced the Ukrainian one at least they've got their priorities right on the day

Regards
DF

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
See what I mean about jingoistic Nationalists trying to claim St George's Day for themselves? Don't let them. This beautiful and diverse country is ours as well..... The politics of hate and division will lose in the end.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I don't know how racists are allowed to be on here and post openly, despite their abhorrent beliefs which go against everything 99% of users of this forum stand for.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not at all. I saw it was a link to something Corbyn may have said - so I knew it wouldn't be worth reading, and I didn't.

Well, you might have learned something instead of having a closed mind. In 2018, Corbyn said there should be four more Bank Holidays. St George’s Day for England, and the other 3 saints days for the other countries.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports