Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Safe standing: Palace owners don't want to "make people sit"

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Plus the amex is hardly a hotbed for violence. .

Ooooh. You want to come and stand by us in the north stand. We are proper hard core and some would say "pwoper nawty" We even have been known to plan " offs" .......well at least who is off to buy the teas at half time.

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
Unfortunately, this is an area that Palace are far more in touch with supporter opinion than our club. They've acknowledged that, and good on them, I hope they get it soon.

By all accounts, it seems that politicians are afraid to discuss a change whilst the Hillsborough inquiry is ongoing. The conclusion of that may reveal that police cover-ups and fencing were the primary factors on that day, rather than 'standing'. Just as seating didn't cause the Ellis Park disaster in South Africa in 2001.

This recent article sums up what many think.... https://www.the-newshub.com/stories/the-hillsborough-legacy-and-safe-standing

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
No we're not . The holmesdale is the only stand which doesn't need pulling down , just tweaking if we are allowed safe standing .

Well the answer will be no, or be kicked out the premier league or championship if you go down. The 2 leagues both stipulate that it must be all seated stadia.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Well the answer will be no, or be kicked out the premier league or championship if you go down. The 2 leagues both stipulate that it must be all seated stadia.

That won't happen , eventually safe standing will happen . Next time you watch motd look at the amount of standing which goes on , it's not just us but a lot of clubs . Both the Steve's want this to happen and I think certain stands could accommodate this . It would be nice to have a standing option in every ground as it does improve the atmosphere .

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
That won't happen , eventually safe standing will happen . Next time you watch motd look at the amount of standing which goes on , it's not just us but a lot of clubs . Both the Steve's want this to happen and I think certain stands could accommodate this . It would be nice to have a standing option in every ground as it does improve the atmosphere .

Is it a case they want it to happen because they don't know how to tackle the problem they have already, where large numbers stand and jump around, who if made to sit probably wouldn't come. Rather like the other issue they choose to to turn a blind eye to, the smoking around the stands at half time.
http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=235934
http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=249947

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Is it a case they want it to happen because they don't know how to tackle the problem they have already, where large numbers stand and jump around, who if made to sit probably wouldn't come. Rather like the other issue they choose to to turn a blind eye to, the smoking around the stands at half time.
http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=235934
http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=249947
Well where I sit ( stand) it is pretty much all standing , if I were told to sit and everyone else did I would and I would come back . As a non smoker it doesn't bother me if there is a smoking area if they need a fag let them all smoke together . Nice bit of research btw .

SDG

May 26, 2014
This is one thing they've got right.

Goal music, and reading the players first name for the crowd to repeat the surname are naff things they've got wrong.

Hopefully the whole country will have standing sections in years to come. Who knows, we may even be able to have a drink.
Goal music has gone, not that you'd notice based on this season ;)

What is your view on German crowds and atmosphere?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Goal music has gone, not that you'd notice based on this season ;)
Thank the lord! I know it's Palace, and I do like the fact they're incredibly naff (the 'Eagles' FFS :facepalm:), but football is more important than my dislike of the scum, so I'm glad they've stopped with the goal music. Football is better than that!

What is your view on German crowds and atmosphere?
I love the few clips I've seen. People standing, drinking and singing/chanting - perfect.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Thank the lord! I know it's Palace, and I do like the fact they're incredibly naff (the 'Eagles' FFS :facepalm:), but football is more important than my dislike of the scum, so I'm glad they've stopped with the goal music. Football is better than that!

" the dolphins , the seagulls?" ???

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex

I love the few clips I've seen. People standing, drinking and singing/chanting - perfect.

I think the Eagle is for the kids TBH, My mates kids love to see it.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Well where I sit ( stand) it is pretty much all standing , if I were told to sit and everyone else did I would and I would come back . As a non smoker it doesn't bother me if there is a smoking area if they need a fag let them all smoke together . Nice bit of research btw .

Not really research, as is stuck in my mind that a chairman was willing to admit to turning a blind eye to the law to give his fans what they wanted, I take my hat of to him for that. Takes some b*llox to admit that you are turning a blind eye on an open forum.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
" the dolphins , the seagulls?" ???
Yeah, our town is by the sea. Dolphins were on the Brighton crest (because we're by the sea), and Seagulls is perfect, because they're all over our town AND it takes the piss of the muppets up the road.

I think the Eagle is for the kids TBH, My mates kids love to see it.
I can understand enjoying seeing an Eagle, it's a magnificent bird. So when I want to see such a bird, I go to a wildlife park of some description. Having an American bird of prey as your nickname however, is naff - like American Ice-Hockey teams etc. Just like goal music (which, thankfully, you've stopped) and mid-game entertainment. Football is the best sport in the world, and doesn't need crappy American entertainment to make it worthwhile. You're like the Hull Tigers - roar!

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Yeah, our town is by the sea. Dolphins were on the Brighton crest (because we're by the sea), and Seagulls is perfect, because they're all over our town AND it takes the piss of the muppets up the road.

I can understand enjoying seeing an Eagle, it's a magnificent bird. So when I want to see such a bird, I go to a wildlife park of some description. Having an American bird of prey as your nickname however, is naff - like American Ice-Hockey teams etc. Just like goal music (which, thankfully, you've stopped) and mid-game entertainment. Football is the best sport in the world, and doesn't need crappy American entertainment to make it worthwhile. You're like the Hull Tigers - roar!

As much as I agree with you the days of a mug of Bovril while watching The Dagenham girl pipers at half time are gone, and like it or not, folks like that crappy American entertainment.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As much as I agree with you the days of a mug of Bovril while watching The Dagenham girl pipers at half time are gone, and like it or not, folks like that crappy American entertainment.
Fortunately (for both of us), I think there's enough of us fighting it. Why have Palace got rid of goal music? Presumably because it's naff. Why don't Brighton have clackers at every game? Because it's naff and the fans revolted. Why don't we have a team of people with massive catapults firing little footballs into the crowd at half time - because it's ****ing naff!

Sure, times have changed a bit, and some of these naff things have encroached our beautiful game, but it's clear that many of us realise these things are naff, and that football is better without them. Your 'ultras' are extremely cringey, but at least they're jumping about and singing, not doing some happy clappy American shit. We must stand up for our game, and stop the businessmen from ever ruining it.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
Maybe once the Hillsborough enquiry is finished and it's proved that standing wasn't cause of the crushing, then the government will change the regulations. Clubs would be free to provide safe standing.

100% this.

Steve Browett said something along these lines on the BBS a while back. The clubs,FA and FSF are waiting for the Hillsborough enquiry to conclude before pushing the issue again. Can't wait personally, always stand at football anyway.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Thank god Brighton wouldn't need to worry about such concerns - if only they could actually get there.
I'm sure Parrish has plans to do up your ground with some of the TV money, not just a rubbish quick fix (like some cheepo cladding).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here