Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Safe standing: Palace owners don't want to "make people sit"

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
All the item we are seated, each of us is identifiable, each seat is sold to an individual and is identifiable and accountable. If the seat owner for that game sells/give away they are still accountable and responsible for who is sitting in that seat.
Don't buy that one. Haven't you ever been to a ground with plenty of empty seats.....and then moved, maybe at half time, to a different (better)one? Or just one you can sit in without climbing over and disturbing a whole row of other fans? Because I assure you, that happens regularly at grounds up and down the country. There is still a ridiculous continued resistance to safe-standing in Britain.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Its nothing to do with not wanting to rip out seats, if they did then they could fit more people in and get more revenue.
Its about crowd control.
All the item we are seated, each of us is identifiable, each seat is sold to an individual and is identifiable and accountable. If the seat owner for that game sells/give away they are still accountable and responsible for who is sitting in that seat.
Take the seat away and allow fans to roam freely on the terraces then you have anonymity for which the security see as a nightmare scenario.
All the time you are identifiable its deemed you will behave more respectfully.

But the Police Box has the capacity to keep an eye on the whole crowd, any trouble and they can zero in on it, not to mention CCTV. Plus the amex is hardly a hotbed for violence. Assuming you could buy a season ticket for the standing area then the club would know who they have attending and even fans who buy on a game by game basis will still have details stored by the club.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
But the Police Box has the capacity to keep an eye on the whole crowd, any trouble and they can zero in on it, not to mention CCTV. Plus the amex is hardly a hotbed for violence. Assuming you could buy a season ticket for the standing area then the club would know who they have attending and even fans who buy on a game by game basis will still have details stored by the club.

You made the point exactly, they can zoom into anyone in the ground with the clarity of any of your holiday snaps, and where the're sitting.
Each of the standing in the standing area is standing in front of a seat, which is the identifying feature.
If someone's misbehaves in that "seat" sitting or standing then they get the letter warning about behaviour, if then this person states it wasn't me then the question get asked, so who was it then it was your seat?

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Yep. They gave the woodworm 5 years to complete the job but have been let down.

All the seats are shiny plastic now , the re placement of the wooden ones started just after your last visit !

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
No we're not . The holmesdale is the only stand which doesn't need pulling down , just tweaking if we are allowed safe standing .

Can't argue with that. I'm surprised they've been allowed to continue in the Premiershit with the state of the Arthur Waite and Main stands. Health & Safety? You're 'avin a larf!!!

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
You made the point exactly, they can zoom into anyone in the ground with the clarity of any of your holiday snaps, and where the're sitting.
Each of the standing in the standing area is standing in front of a seat, which is the identifying feature.
If someone's misbehaves in that "seat" sitting or standing then they get the letter warning about behaviour, if then this person states it wasn't me then the question get asked, so who was it then it was your seat?

But that is my point about standing! Any miscreants can be identified, albeit not by name initially, but certainly stewards can be dispatched to sort out the trouble. Any serious trouble and the police can be sent into the stands.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
Terracing is bloody ugly!.. It's only 'safe' if people don't behave like idiots!. Yeah right,, Moving on...

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
I agree with all that except the bit about getting 1000 more people in smelhurst.
they wouldn't get 1000 more supporters if they gave groupon tickets.

el punal

The continued resistance to safe-standing in Britain baffles me. The vast majority of football fans would welcome a return to terraces and as the article demonstrates, a number of figures in the hierarchy of clubs want it as well. I get why Tony and Co wouldn't want to rip out the seats in the North so soon after opening the ground but I hope one day we can return to true standing in the North.
Whilst the Hillsborough inquiry is still on-going I can't see a change anytime soon. Despite that, it would be interesting to see if the Amex had a standing section and where.

The obvious place would be the North Stand. A suggestion - remove the back 10 rows of seats, or maybe safe standing in North West and North East corners for easy access and exit.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I do agree with safe standing but at the moment he laws(?) are for people to sit right? Even at Withers in J block the stewards constantly tried to get people seated. And they do in the North too at the Amex. It seems they never do with the Italians at Selfhurst or the kop at Leeds for example - how do they get away with it!? (Ie there never seems to be an attempt to get their fans seated...?)

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
I do agree with safe standing but at the moment he laws(?) are for people to sit right? Even at Withers in J block the stewards constantly tried to get people seated. And they do in the North too at the Amex. It seems they never do with the Italians at Selfhurst or the kop at Leeds for example - how do they get away with it!? (Ie there never seems to be an attempt to get their fans seated...?)

There was an attempt a couple of seasons ago. They were promptly told to **** off and never tried again.

Pistol Knight

Apr 7, 2014

The answer is numbers, When we went to The Emirates at the start of the season there was a block to our left that 'tried' to stand (about 200 of them) as soon as the stewards came in and asked them to sit, 180 of them complied, they were cacking themselves, the standing in the Homesdale now stretches across Block D so now 4 blocks all stand and as The Paddy has said when enough of you tell the stewards NO (and a steward told me he had to keep asking as its his job, fair enough) but never got heavy handed, for those talking out of their backside about 'terracing' its called 'Rail Seating' and can be seen here:- http://www.fsf.org.uk/campaigns/safe-standing/ so you still have to 'buy' a seat, its not like the terraces of old

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here