Ryan Harley comments please

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
He plays with the demeanour of a bloke who just doesn't care that much.

Which makes him look out of place when you see CMS on the same pitch.

Human being, one heart, two legs - how can these two blokes look soooooooo different?

Harley, you are in for a long spell of benchwarming, or maybe quiet nights in listening to seagulls player commentary with a tescos value lager and a stack of pringles.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
He plays with the demeanour of a bloke who just doesn't care that much.

Which makes him look out of place when you see CMS on the same pitch.

Human being, one heart, two legs - how can these two blokes look soooooooo different?

Harley, you are in for a long spell of benchwarming, or maybe quiet nights in listening to seagulls player commentary with a tescos value lager and a stack of pringles.

If you are going to the expense of buying a premium crisp why would you settle for economy lager ?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
It was a classic case of a guy makes a mistake, so anything else he does for the rest of the match will immediatly get picked apart if it isn't perfect.

The penalty was rubbish, its annoying, but it happens. That aside, I thought he possibly had his best game yet for us. Was very good in central midfield with has passing and movement.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Ok I realise I am going to get murdered on here and the penalty was a shocker and the corners were nearly as bad but.......I thought he had improved. At least he was prepared to have a shot on goal and I think he is class on the ball.

I'll get my coat..

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It was a classic case of a guy makes a mistake, so anything else he does for the rest of the match will immediatly get picked apart if it isn't perfect.

The penalty was rubbish, its annoying, but it happens. That aside, I thought he possibly had his best game yet for us. Was very good in central midfield with has passing and movement.

First time I saw him tonight and at times he looked like his brain was somewhere else. Very odd, but mentally probably not quite there yet. Needs games.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Ok I realise I am going to get murdered on here and the penalty was a shocker and the corners were nearly as bad but.......I thought he had improved. At least he was prepared to have a shot on goal and I think he is class on the ball.

I'll get my coat..

as i said in op he improved in second half - but i just think he is a wrongun....

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2

Agree, to an extent. First half disappointing, fair to say he's not the most 'committed' when it comes to 50/50 challenges, couple of moments of dithering on the ball and needlessly losing possession. However second half I thought he showed his quality and you could certainly start to see why Gus was so eager to bring him here. Some brilliant bits of play.

Clearly many aren't convinced though. I think he'll prove a good signing in the long run.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Absolute waster. A week ago I thought Sparrow's time was up if I'm honest, but he's come in and put in two really good shifts. Harley meanwhile got his chance tonight and flitted about losing possession and looking incredibly arrogant with it, and then had genuinely one of the worst penalties I've ever seen. If you're going to fanny about side-footing it in a corner, at least put it in a corner, not six inches left of centre. I've got no problem with someone missing a pen if they put their foot through it and the keeper makes a good save, but it wasn't even that. Get Vincelot in with Sparrow & Bridcutt in the midfield 3, a bit of endeavour and hard work. Harley can f*** off back to Exeter for all I care, he doesn't look like he gives a flying f*** so we should we.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
He's clearly got ability, but that is not enough. I compared him tonight to a (very) poor man's Matt Le Tissier, standing around isn't going to cut it in this division.

If you're the set-piece king, and you take one of the worst penalties I've ever seen, and don't get a corner past the first man in about five attempts, you've had a shocker.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
He's clearly got ability, but that is not enough. I compared him tonight to a (very) poor man's Matt Le Tissier, standing around isn't going to cut it in this division.

If you're the set-piece king, and you take one of the worst penalties I've ever seen, and don't get a corner past the first man in about five attempts, you've had a shocker.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Can't think of any Albion player of recent times that I have taken such a swift dislike to. He just looks like he a) doesn't actually want to be playing, and b) couldn't care less about the result. He needs to improve his attitude sharpish.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I didn't go tonight but whenever I've seen him, he seems to have plenty of ability but no real effort. He allows opposition players to breeze past him. He seems to think he's better than he is. Anyone that has seagulls world, look at the interview with Harley after the Peterborough game. His attitude isnt right. Hopefully Gus can sort him out.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I find him a frustrating player as you can see he has the ability but after a good debut he's done nothing since, I still cant decide whether he's got a bit of an attitude problem or like a number of our players he's still trying to come to terms with life in the Championship.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I find him a frustrating player as you can see he has the ability but after a good debut he's done nothing since, I still cant decide whether he's got a bit of an attitude problem or like a number of our players he's still trying to come to terms with life in the Championship.

Bit of both I suspect - but I do support the view that with Gus's help he could become a key player for us in the long run - trouble is we're now an ambitious club and there probably isn't time for him

jamesp

Feb 23, 2011
Penrith Cumbria
Maybe a confidence thing??? Moved to PL thinking yeah I m gonna make it, then told no way and moves to the Championship, I agree game time will surely help. But if the attitude is like the aroma of your heart......then it stinks, maybe Gus should get everyone to do the death crawl!?

Discodoktor

Apr 28, 2011
Guildford
That was his best game!
He can definitely pass the ball

He looks uncommitted.
He doesn't win the ball
He struggles to run with the ball
He doest move off the ball enough (come and get it of the back or of bridcutt)
He is lightweight
In his interview he came across lazy and arrogant
He hasn't had 1 good game

He got a 3 year contract and apparently at 8k (gulp)
We might have him for a long time

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Hopeless he plays with an arrogance and I believe that's what he is (note his "I don't mind dropping down from Premiership comments" when the best he ever played was Exeter)

I got slated a bit here last night for criticising him but apart from that wonder goal have seen bugger all except little use of energy, misplaced passes, caught in possession and pulling out of tackles. He's a Pro and being paid a lot of money and those that said he needs time to settle into our style I think are talking bollox (note immediate impact of CMS, Vincelot, Vicente etc) but if that's really the case then he should be playing in the Dev side.

Harley may have talent and ability but until he shows it I don't think he should play again - we need 11 totally up for it players if we're to make a good go of this league .. put him in the reserves for a while

Also those slating me saying Gus knows best ... well of course he does but that's not to say he's perfect and I'm sure Gus does the self analysis after and says to himself "if only I'd done this" or "I hadn't done that" and I can't believe he hasn't thought of Harley on all 5 occasions he's played .. maybe 4

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
He looks good when we are winning, but awful when we're losing. He's basically a shit version of Le Tissier.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports