Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

ukpolska

Dec 30, 2017
Warsaw, Poland
I'm sorry to hear that. My wife is fairly certain her parents have had to take Russian passports, but it's too difficult for them to even discuss.
My friend Elon and his wife are staying with me here in Poland and they come from Mariupol and escaped leaving their business and home.
Through the channels, the Russian occupiers have told them that they must return and prove that the properties are owned by them or they will lose them promising them that they will be able to leave to the West again.
Obviously, they don't trust them and stand to lose everything they have worked for the last twenty years.
I have been travelling to Ukraine over the last two years most weekends taking aid to the country and have heard so many stories like this, plus harrowing accounts of the brutality of the occupation that would make most people cry with anger.
I can only hope and pray that this will end soon.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
My friend Elon and his wife are staying with me here in Poland and they come from Mariupol and escaped leaving their business and home.
Through the channels, the Russian occupiers have told them that they must return and prove that the properties are owned by them or they will lose them promising them that they will be able to leave to the West again.
Obviously, they don't trust them and stand to lose everything they have worked for the last twenty years.
I have been travelling to Ukraine over the last two years most weekends taking aid to the country and have heard so many stories like this, plus harrowing accounts of the brutality of the occupation that would make most people cry with anger.
I can only hope and pray that this will end soon.
That's very sad news, and typical of this Russian occupation - they lie and take what they want.
I'm pleased to hear that your friends are at least well staying with you, and well done (and a big thank you) for your humanitarian trips across the border - none of these are without some personal risk.
Best wishes to you and your friends.
I am expecting my wife (and her sister) to lose entitlement to their elderly parents' basic home (and some arable land) if the occupation continues for many more years.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Your regular reminder that Viktor Orban is a far right Putin stooge, his cuckoo in the EU nest

ukpolska

Dec 30, 2017
Warsaw, Poland
I am expecting my wife (and her sister) to lose entitlement to their elderly parents' basic home (and some arable land) if the occupation continues for many more years.
I am so sorry to hear this and it's just another tragic story that you hear every day here in Warsaw, Poland from the Ukrainian community and it frustrates the living hell out of you that you cannot do anything to remove their pain.

My neighbour's parents and her bedridden grandmother have been living in a basement in Nikopol for 1.5 years now under constant bombardment trying to hold on to some semblance of normality. Like many Ukrainians here, most of the money that she earns here in Warsaw goes towards supporting them through the network of volunteers sending them things like generators, heaters, clothing etc...

The thing that frustrates me is that the West is becoming complacent in their attitudes towards the war in Ukraine, not fully understanding that they are falling into Putin's bigger plan.

I am not part of the tin hat brigade, but I am almost certain that the terrible actions of Hamas have been orchestrated by Putin to deflect the interest away from Ukraine, which will only end in a tragic mistake if the West falls for it, as he is already talking about controlling the Baltic sea along with bigger ambitions towards the former Eastern bloc countries.

Some background on myself, I am British and moved to Poland twenty-three years ago and have travelled extensively throughout Ukraine since 2002, along with many other former Eastern bloc countries.
Plus I have been supporting Brighton for 54 years and what a ride it has been. :)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He is indeed Putin's stooge in the EU and NATO.

But he can't push it so far that Hungary gets kicked out.... because then The Butcher of Moscow loses that Stooge.
Hungary out, Ukraine in, then. Yes, repercussions - but Orban is causing repercussions anyway. Is Hungary actually meeting the conditions for NATO and EU membership anyway? - doesn't look like it. Kick 'em out.
Doubt the average Hungarian will like that, so good incentives to kick Orban out and return to the fold of civilisation.

Last edited:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
My thought is that part of Putin's plan is a "friendly" land corridor through Ukraine, Hungary, Serbia and Montenegro to the Mediterranean.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Hungary out, Ukraine in, then. Yes, repercussions - but Orban is causing repercussions anyway. Is Hungary actually meeting the conditions for NATO and EU membership anyway? - doesn't look like it. Kick 'em out.
Doubt the average Hungarian will like that, so good incentives to kick Orban out and return to the fold of civilisation.
I'm sure EU and NATO want Hungary in strategically, but not the Putin glove puppet, Trojan Horse that it's become under fascist lite dictator Orban.

I'm not sure you'd need to go as far as formally kicking them out, announcing the starting of a process of removal due to Orban and his Russian control, would hopefully be enough for the Hungarian masses to see sense and drive him out.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
And the people of Hungary are, in my experience, compassionate, wonderful, beautiful people.

Be very careful Orban, you arsehole.
This is also my experience of Hungarians (although a pretty narrow sample I guess) - how the ***k did Orban get elected? Oh, yes, how the ***k did Trump get elected? etc etc

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
That's an interesting (read 'terrifying') thought, and one that hadn't crossed my mind I admit. A 'blood corridor' rather than a Silk Road.
It makes sense that Russia were looking at opening up a new friendly land corridor to the Med.

Russia has long viewed Sevastopol as crucial as its only warm water port, as St. Petersburg and Vladivostok both freeze over in winter.

However, Sevastopol is looking increasingly untenable as a long term Russian naval base, and any Russian ships that want to leave the Black Sea, must negotiate the narrow Bosphorus strait at Istanbul, biggest city of Turkey, a NATO member.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I am at a loss as to why any Hungarian would have anything to do with enabling Russia favourably given the history.
I have a (Northern Irish) client in Budapest and spoke to him about this recently. He said that the Ukrainians and the Hungarians are not the best of friends either, and that Ukraine has done some pretty dreadful things to the Hungarians on that side of their country. So allying with Russia isn't as odd as it sounds.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
It makes sense that Russia were looking at opening up a new friendly land corridor to the Med.

Russia has long viewed Sevastopol as crucial as its only warm water port, as St. Petersburg and Vladivostok both freeze over in winter.

However, Sevastopol is looking increasingly untenable as a long term Russian naval base, and any Russian ships that want to leave the Black Sea, must negotiate the narrow Bosphorus strait at Istanbul, biggest city of Turkey, a NATO member.
And I believe Russia already use a friendly Mediterranean port in Syria. A land corridor makes sense for them under their current strategy.
Or they could stop invading countries and try sincere friendly relations...but that doesn't look like happening 😉.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
And I believe Russia already use a friendly Mediterranean port in Syria. A land corridor makes sense for them under their current strategy.
Or they could stop invading countries and try sincere friendly relations...but that doesn't look like happening 😉.
Tartus Navel base in Syria has been used by the Russian navy since they built it in 1971. It’s a strategically important base for them. Designed to counteract the US 6th fleet during the Cold War.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here