Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Yes, the persecution, execution and starvation of millions of Ukrainians by Russia (a policy, not an accident) is important to remember. It provides context for the current war: Russia feels it can treat Ukraine as a province, as it has always done, with complete disregard for human life.
You are right - it's important context for this current war.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Yes, the persecution, execution and starvation of millions of Ukrainians by Russia (a policy, not an accident) is important to remember. It provides context for the current war: Russia feels it can treat Ukraine as a province, as it has always done, with complete disregard for human life.
It's interesting you should say that.

A while ago, I posted a link by a Georgian author, who observed the same thing, but in Georgia. He was referring to Russians who had moved to Georgia to avoid conscription (therefore it is reasonable to assume they were against the war), and who treated Georgia, a country in which they were guests, like a province of Russia.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
It's interesting you should say that.

A while ago, I posted a link by a Georgian author, who observed the same thing, but in Georgia. He was referring to Russians who had moved to Georgia to avoid conscription (therefore it is reasonable to assume they were against the war), and who treated Georgia, a country in which they were guests, like a province of Russia.
I think it shows that most Russians that avoid conscription are actually PRO the war...they just want someone else to fight it for them.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I think it shows that most Russians that avoid conscription are actually PRO the war...they just want someone else to fight it for them.
The major issue is, nobody has any objective facts or truth. They dont want to die is probaby a given, pro war?

the whole information space is one big narrative based lie, they dont know reality. Russia is like the Truman show

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I confess that hadn't occurred to me. You could be right, at least for some of them.

But my point was more akin to the following: Russians seem to have a superiority complex. One which nobody else shares, instead seeing it as misplaced arrogance.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I confess that hadn't occurred to me. You could be right, at least for some of them.

But my point was more akin to the following: Russians seem to have a superiority complex. One which nobody else shares, instead seeing it as misplaced arrogance.
I know for a fact that is true.

Propaganda plays a big part in that and you can see it manifest in things like their Athletic drugs cheating and victory day parades in which they are told and believe unequivocally that they alone won the second world war and defeated Nazis.

The have to be seen to win at all costs, even if that involves cheating or pure BS

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

Propaganda plays a big part in that and you can see it manifest in things like their Athletic drugs cheating and victory day parades in which they are told and believe unequivocally that they alone won the second world war and defeated Nazis.

The have to be seen to win at all costs, even if that involves cheating or pure BS
I would guess ordinary Russians won't be seeing these intercepted calls from desperate Russian soldiers on the front line:

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Reports that Avdiivka maybe soon about to fall to the Russians. An important rail link that may affect Ukrainian supply links.
I thought the Russians were mainly just defending the Ukraine offensive in recent months, which hasn't gained much ground.
Sadly, this war doesn't seem to have an end in sight anytime soon.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017

Many Russians think WW2 started in 1941, ignoring their pact with Germany which conveniently enabled them to carve up Poland between them in 1939, slaughtering more innocent civilians along the way.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Would you believe it, another dropped cigarette in a Russian factory…

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Reports that Avdiivka maybe soon about to fall to the Russians. An important rail link that may affect Ukrainian supply links.
I thought the Russians were mainly just defending the Ukraine offensive in recent months, which hasn't gained much ground.
Sadly, this war doesn't seem to have an end in sight anytime soon.
I believe Russia has poured a lot of troops into that area to try to take Avdiivka - they will have lost a lot too.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
I believe Russia has poured a lot of troops into that area to try to take Avdiivka - they will have lost a lot too.
But they really don't care how many Russian soldiers die to achieve their objective.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
An interesting glimpse into Russian logistics.

'The move shows that Russia is so overstretched by the conflict that it is having to accept additional risk to strategically important Kaliningrad, which is bordered on three sides by Nato member states, according to the MoD.'

And on the fourth side, is the Baltic, now effectively a Nato lake. You will recall that Nato was one of the reasons/justifications Putin used to invade Ukraine.

If equipment is being scavenged from Kaliningrad, which in Putin's mind is threatened by Nato , where else might it be happening, or has already happened?

My money would be on the distant regions. Places with a history of neglect. That's a dead cert. Then there are the regions with a history of unrest - those which may have prompted Putin to announce a 40% rise in his internal security budget soon after the war began.

I predict more dropped cigarettes.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I'm not sure if this has been posted before or not?

"20 days in Mariupol".

Was in art house cinemas this year, now released on YT. Its a "buy" item if you search directly in YT, though its been uploaded for free by another production company.

It's all about a small team of associated press journalists that were in Mariupol for those first 20 days of Russias attack on the city, nearly all of the pictures and TV news stories we saw in western media were from this brave team.

Wife was in tears obvs, and it also shows contrast of Russia state TV claiming its all staged or Ukraine doing it to themselves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here