Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Pretty cool video of the prep work and the firework display in Makivka (Donetsk yesterday), looks like Ukraine found all the stored Russian artillery shells including Phosphorus hidden in the centre of an un built apartment complex, call that through to the HIMARs operators who put on a lovely 4th of July display with a nice precision strike!

I just showed this to a foreign student from Saudi, as the video is quite impressive. He didn't even know there was a war between Russia and Ukraine.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

Following the Kakhovka dam breach, it was obvious that there is nothing that Russia won't consider doing, to try and avoid a strategic defeat.

Afterwards, one military analyst said that Russia can only blow the dam up once. Let's hope the same applies to the ZNPP.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Following the Kakhovka dam breach, it was obvious that there is nothing that Russia won't consider doing, to try and avoid a strategic defeat.

Afterwards, one military analyst said that Russia can only blow the dam up once. Let's hope the same applies to the ZNPP.
I don't understand exactly the risks of the Zaporizhia nuclear power plant, but I did read a nuclear scientist today saying that it wouldnt be anywhere near as bad as Chernobyl was due to different type of reactors and the way they are cased..... seemed to believe the risk of a massive radiation incident even if blown, isn't as bad as some imagine...... no idea how accurate that is?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I don't understand exactly the risks of the Zaporizhia nuclear power plant, but I did read a nuclear scientist today saying that it wouldnt be anywhere near as bad as Chernobyl was due to different type of reactors and the way they are cased..... seemed to believe the risk of a massive radiation incident even if blown, isn't as bad as some imagine...... no idea how accurate that is?
Thanks for that - it does sound comforting.

I'm not sure how it will be received at NATO. I understand that both sides of Congress have warned Russia not to blow it up, and that blowing it up would invoke Nato's article 5. That sounds a bit like Congress trying to pre-empt any NATO decision though. Tomorrow will presumably bring some clarity, when we will know that either the Russians will or won't have blown it up overnight on the 5th, the date they announced that Ukraine were going to blow it up with a nuke. Note that Ukraine doesn't have nukes...

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Well, it's a new day and the ZNPP didn't get blown up. (y)

Perhaps there weren't any explosives/mines, or perhaps Russia was warned off. Maybe it assuaged its frustrated bloodlust with a strike on the apartment building in Lviv.

Whatever the truth, Ukraine continues its counter-offensive. Day by day, the pressure mounts on Putin. It can't be good for his health, can it?

Surport Local Team

Jan 5, 2011
Russian economy has got to be in trouble soon, dollar v ruble (rubble) is nearing 1 dollar for 100 rubles (94 currently). Not so important u may think as all their trade now is with China and India. However if u look at the charts of yen v rouble and rupee v rouble, they are following the exact pattern as the dollar. So Russian imports from China are way more expensive and they are making far less on their oil sales!!! Very good news I think!!!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Thanks for that - it does sound comforting.

I'm not sure how it will be received at NATO. I understand that both sides of Congress have warned Russia not to blow it up, and that blowing it up would invoke Nato's article 5. That sounds a bit like Congress trying to pre-empt any NATO decision though. Tomorrow will presumably bring some clarity, when we will know that either the Russians will or won't have blown it up overnight on the 5th, the date they announced that Ukraine were going to blow it up with a nuke. Note that Ukraine doesn't have nukes...

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
Well, it's a new day and the ZNPP didn't get blown up. (y)

Perhaps there weren't any explosives/mines, or perhaps Russia was warned off. Maybe it assuaged its frustrated bloodlust with a strike on the apartment building in Lviv.

Whatever the truth, Ukraine continues its counter-offensive. Day by day, the pressure mounts on Putin. It can't be good for his health, can it?
There are satellite images taken days apart purported to show what could be explosives sited on the roof of turbine hall 4.

There's also suggestion that Xi may have had a quiet word

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Russian economy has got to be in trouble soon, dollar v ruble (rubble) is nearing 1 dollar for 100 rubles (94 currently). Not so important u may think as all their trade now is with China and India. However if u look at the charts of yen v rouble and rupee v rouble, they are following the exact pattern as the dollar. So Russian imports from China are way more expensive and they are making far less on their oil sales!!! Very good news I think!!!
Thanks 👍. But you don't mean the yen I think...🤔

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
We are clearly not yet past the possibility of Russia blowing up the nuclear power plant. I think the staff were told they should evacuate by Monday ?

The mildly positive news is that unless the Russians drill into the reactor casings [ death sentence for the lucky drillers ] and plant explosives in the core ( can't blame that on the Ukrainians ) then whilst bad it wouldn't be another Chernobyl.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here