[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The great thing about Putin fleeing from Moscow as Wagner approached is that it shows the whole world he is scared.

This tells everyone that he won't press the nuclear button for fear of the nuclear counterstrike ending him.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Interesting comments from a Chinese official yesterday:

China’s envoy to the European Union has implied Beijing could support Ukraine’s effort to reclaim its 1991 territorial borders.

Fu Cong was in Brussels for the 2023 Europe-China Business Summit on June 16 where he was interviewed by Al Jazeera and other news organisations. When asked whether China supported Ukraine’s war goals in the conflict, including retaking regions currently occupied by Russia, including the Crimean peninsula, he said: “I don’t see why not.”

We respect the territorial integrity of all countries. So when China established relations with the former Soviet Union, that’s what we agreed. But as I said, these are historical issues that need to be negotiated and resolved by Russia and Ukraine and that is what we stand for.
Fu has previously said, in an interview with the New York Times in April, that China did not support Russian attempts to annex Ukrainian territory, and stressed that Beijing’s position is that the conflict be resolved by negotiations.

China has not explicitly criticised Russia over the conflict since the 2022 invasion and has declared a “no limits” partnership. Comments from senior officials on the conflict are rare.

2h ago06.10 BST

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
China has not explicitly criticised Russia over the conflict since the 2022 invasion and has declared a “no limits” partnership. Comments from senior officials on the conflict are rare.

I think a month or so ago China voted in the UN to state that Russia was the aggressor?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Remember back to the time when we were concerned that China would supply Russia with weapons?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the passage of time appears to confirm that our concerns were unfounded, doesn't it?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They abstained I think, which was a surprise as they were expected to vote against.

I think they voted against Russia:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Remember back to the time when we were concerned that China would supply Russia with weapons?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the passage of time appears to confirm that our concerns were unfounded, doesn't it?
No, not unfounded, given the 'special no limits relationship' they agreed. However, constant pressure from the majority of the world, and Russia failing to achieve the quick victory they promised, will have forced China to rethink their strategy.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Interesting. And that other guy with ginger beard is the now deceased miliblogger War Gonzo who was whacked last week in that video of the raid on a trench by Ukrainain special forces.

The still on left is his last second just before he was gunned down.

View attachment 162762
No proof that’s Wargonzo. He apparently appeared on Russian TV after his supposed death.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Another day, another atrocity by Russia.

Death toll in Kramatorsk upgraded to 3. A further 25 have been injured. These were civilians of course. Two missiles in the same pizza restaurant isn't a coincidence.
You can forgive the odd random one that goes off course - these are Russian missiles - but this was planned and premeditated.

I think the Russians are genuinely sub-human.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
No proof that’s Wargonzo. He apparently appeared on Russian TV after his supposed death.
I've not seen DNA! The marine that shot him is convinced its him, the one and only subsequent appearance so far on state TV (saw it too), his actual words don't directly correspond to the recent event, he talks of his death being faked, his friend getting killed in August 2022 and other stuff not related to currently battlefield developments.

There's a hell of a lot of people convinced it's old footage, but you're right there is no direct proof.

20230628_185403.jpg

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
The great thing about Putin fleeing from Moscow as Wagner approached is that it shows the whole world he is scared.

This tells everyone that he won't press the nuclear button for fear of the nuclear counterstrike ending him.
Agree, but theyre already trying to re-write the narrative on state TV.

Putin the great savior, who defused civil war rather than Putin the bunker coward who shat himself and legged it.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I've not seen DNA! The marine that shot him is convinced its him, the one and only subsequent appearance so far on state TV (saw it too), his actual words don't directly correspond to the recent event, he talks of his death being faked, his friend getting killed in August 2022 and other stuff not related to currently battlefield developments.

There's a hell of a lot of people convinced it's old footage, but you're right there is no direct proof.

View attachment 162839

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
This latest Sky report is interesting -

It implicates 'General Armageddon' Surovikin in the rebellion, and reports that Gerasimov and Medvedev have not been seen since Saturday.
There's been multiple reports over the years, including orginal identities of 2 individuals who are said to have become Putin body doubles.

There was video of a "Putin" in Mariupol a month or two back and matching that individual to Putin in the Kremlin showed a few comparative facial anomalies!

Certainly everywhere I've read this afternoon about "Putins" visit to Dagestan There's pretty universal commentary that it's one of his body doubles.

It's widely published (including in Russia) that Putin makes those who want to see him, quarantine before they can. He allegedly spends a lot of time in isolation and his personal security is off the chart. An old, very paranoid man.

So the video of his trip to Dagestan, which on the weekend called for breaking from Russia as the coup was happening, and an outgoing "Putin" sociable meet & greet are the opposite of normal behaviour and protocols in a notorious hotbed of anti government sentiment.

General Surovikin, aka General armageddon, the number 2 in the army has allegedly been under arrest since 25th in the notorious Leftovo prison. He was part of the failed coup of 1991 too.

Big Purge is coming. Expect a few window accidents !

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
There's been multiple reports over the years, including orginal identities of 2 individuals who are said to have become Putin body doubles.

There was video of a "Putin" in Mariupol a month or two back and matching that individual to Putin in the Kremlin showed a few comparative facial anomalies!

Certainly everywhere I've read this afternoon about "Putins" visit to Dagestan There's pretty universal commentary that it's one of his body doubles.

It's widely published (including in Russia) that Putin makes those who want to see him, quarantine before they can. He allegedly spends a lot of time in isolation and his personal security is off the chart. An old, very paranoid man.

So the video of his trip to Dagestan, which on the weekend called for breaking from Russia as the coup was happening, and an outgoing "Putin" sociable meet & greet are the opposite of normal behaviour and protocols in a notorious hotbed of anti government sentiment.

General Surovikin, aka General armageddon, the number 2 in the army has allegedly been under arrest since 25th in the notorious Leftovo prison. He was part of the failed coup of 1991 too.

Big Purge is coming. Expect a few window accidents !

Putin now feels the need to issue a display of whooping adulation from paid actors in Dagestan, in front of one of his doubles.

But the truth behind it, is even stranger than the invented fiction. He expects the Russian people to believe it. And he's right. Some of them will.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports