[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Ukraine is, and always has been, the line in the sand. Russia won't allow NATO membership, and NATO won't either. The Ukrainian neutrality thing is the easiest part of negotiations. Zelensky has muted it.

At some stage, as I said, the US and Russia will need to sit down. It looks like Russia alluded to it today.

If the US sits down with Russia over this issue, it will simply play into Putin's hand by broadening the whole issue to a more geo-political level, making the survival aspirations and future democratic direction of Ukraine, a minor insignificant factor in any talks about imaginary and mythical NATO aggression and expansionism.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The Concert for Ukraine is on the tellybox tonight.

Somewhat ironic that the lead tv sponsor for this event is.....M&S. Yup, that would be the same M&S that is continuing to trade through its 48 Russian branches.

“This isn’t just any food, it’s blood and destruction food.”

Puts sportswashing into perspective eh?

How does M&S close stores that it does not own?

Edit: Now seen that others have addressed this.

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The Concert for Ukraine is on the tellybox tonight.

Somewhat ironic that the lead tv sponsor for this event is.....M&S. Yup, that would be the same M&S that is continuing to trade through its 48 Russian branches.

“This isn’t just any food, it’s blood and destruction food.”

Puts sportswashing into perspective eh?

You posted this nonsense earlier on the thread calling for a 'boycott'

M&S franchise the stores in Russia with a Turkish partner. They've already said they have stopped supplying them with stock. They could try taking their partner to court in Russia I guess but how do you think that would go.

So not sure what you expect M&S to do

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Ukrainian troops have found Dress Uniforms in captured and destroyed Russian military vehicles outside Kiyv, seemingly in preparation for their victory parade into the capital.

The Russian military equivalent of the classic “Please stay of the pitch at the final whistle so Sam and the lads can do a lap of honour.”

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?37-quot-Please-stay-off-the-pitch-at-the-final-whistle

Wow that thread is giving public IP addresses and ISP info on tapatalk. Wonder if they are still live [emoji848]

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I’m not taking sides on your MS argument..but purely for balance refer to below

M&S’ 48 franchise stores remain open in Russia

// The retailer is unable to close the stores, which are run by franchisee FiBA, however M&S has stopped supplying them with product

Marks and Spencer still has 48 stores open in Russia, with the retailer unable to close the shops due to its franchise agreement.

The shops are operated by a Turkish company FiBA, which has the right to use the M&S name and sell its products, although M&S has stopped supplying the company producs as a response to the ongoing war.

M&S is unable to force the store closures without legal consequences.

All the McDonalds branches in Russia were operated under a franchise agreement but they didn't have a problem shutting them all down.

And aren't there extreme circumstances when you have to say "damn the legal consequences we must do the right thing"?

And M&S isn't the only one. Burger King is continuing to operate hiding behind the same "legal consequences" argument.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
All the McDonalds branches in Russia were operated under a franchise agreement but they didn't have a problem shutting them all down.

And aren't there extreme circumstances when you have to say "damn the legal consequences we must do the right thing"?

And M&S isn't the only one. Burger King is continuing to operate hiding behind the same "legal consequences" argument.

as i read McDonalds are not under franchise, owned by the parent company. a company under a franchise or licence is an independent entity. that means M&S can only control them within limits of the agreement, most they can do is restrict branded goods being forwarded. but the local branch can just get a local printer to create knock offs - is M&S going to sue in Russia?

in short, ees complicated.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

McDonald’s directly owned and ran the Russian branches.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

I refer to my original post and I believe others have responded accordingly ….look forward to seeing you with your placard outside my local MS :)

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Good. Rot in hell.

I'm struggling to muster much sympathy either. Certainly not for the senior leaders. Even the recruits in the south and east have had time to work out that all they are doing is firing missiles into civilian areas, so (and maybe i'm a bad person), but not much sympathy there either.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
I'm struggling to muster much sympathy either. Certainly not for the senior leaders. Even the recruits in the south and east have had time to work out that all they are doing is firing missiles into civilian areas, so (and maybe i'm a bad person), but not much sympathy there either.
I read Putin as sent execution squads to kill defectors if they try and leave.

Don't know how true it is but was reported here..

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/...putin-execution-squads-defectors-26537913.amp

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
I read Putin as sent execution squads to kill defectors if they try and leave.

Don't know how true it is but was reported here..

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/...putin-execution-squads-defectors-26537913.amp

One of the interviews with captured Russian soldiers had a much more sinister version in which the severely wounded were being killed by squads in the field. The rationale being that Putin didn't want these people returning to their families and being seen back at home.

It sounds very much like propaganda but it does hold a kernel of truth. Even in his height of popularity the injured coming back from Chechen and Georgia caused domestic issues for him.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Armed NKVD behind the Soviet Grunts in WW2. Choice of being shot by the Germans, or shot by their fellow Russians, sad that the value placed on the common soldier by the Govt hasn't changed in 80 years in Russia
Yes, my thoughts entirely. It seems the Russians are fighting the same war as 80 years back. Reading lots of info from sources that say much of the Russian army casualties have been from ethnic minority regions of Russia far away from Ukraine.

The reason is that the locals view the army pay as better than any wage locally so it is seen to be a ticket out of poverty. This was ok until they came up against a well trained and motivated army in Ukraine.

Its kind of sad but now it seems the Russian troops are resorting to looting as their morale and supplies are dwindling. Also reports of civilians being shot as command breaks down and they are losing men. So, sod them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports