Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
The footage just gets more distressing and depressing. Putin's 'liberation' by turning the country to rubble and killing everyone is so unnecessarily ****ish. He needs taking out by any means available.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
The footage just gets more distressing and depressing. Putin's 'liberation' by turning the country to rubble and killing everyone is so unnecessarily ****ish. He needs taking out by any means available.

This. I never thought I'd say it and it is probably why I'm not a politician, but I'm getting to the stage where
I feel it is unacceptable to allow this to continue as it is. It's just death and destruction with no aim and no
point except in the mind of that utter ***t Putin. I would even go far as to say - to hell with it - let's crush the
***t come what may.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1505980522190839809[/tweet]

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Surely they must be under-reporting on the actual numbers too ? This sounds bad but I would not be surprised if the real figure was twice the number.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Seem to recall the Russians have mobile crematoriums to deal with their dead, you won't hear about those on Russian State TV

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Surely they must be under-reporting on the actual numbers too ? This sounds bad but I would not be surprised if the real figure was twice the number.

the numbers reported are from Ukraine, so might not be 100%. Russia is substantially underreporting by a factor of 10 or so. with casualties, captured and deserted, the number of loses are substantial.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
This. I never thought I'd say it and it is probably why I'm not a politician, but I'm getting to the stage where
I feel it is unacceptable to allow this to continue as it is. It's just death and destruction with no aim and no
point except in the mind of that utter ***t Putin. I would even go far as to say - to hell with it - let's crush the
***t come what may.

Its terrible but little different from what he has already done elsewhere, just look at Syria.

The Russian money supply needs to be cut off ASAP and if we all have to make sacrifices with energy so be it. Europe needs to work together to stave Putin's killing machine of cash

Getting involved militarily carries huge risks that are far greater.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
the numbers reported are from Ukraine, so might not be 100%. Russia is substantially underreporting by a factor of 10 or so. with casualties, captured and deserted, the number of loses are substantial.

Yes, just seen that it might have been a clever bit of hacking from the Ukrainian Intelligence service. It was not an official Russian post. However, did see an article that referred to Belarus getting very large numbers of badly wounded Russian soldiers sent to them, additionally, convoys of lorries loaded with bodies travelling in by night from Ukraine...... I think they are getting pasted.

Flex Your Head

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundations_of_Geopolitics

Putin's playbook for all of this was written by a fascist with pagan tendencies named Aleksandr Dugin, back in 1997.

Bearing in mind it was written in the late 90s, you can see some of it has already happened:

The United Kingdom, merely described as an "extraterritorial floating base of the U.S.", should be cut off from Europe. Cheers Brexiteers.

The discontent in the US and their gradual retreat into isolationism. Russia in Syria and so on.

And, noticeably: Ukraine should be annexed by Russia because "Ukraine as a state has no geopolitical meaning, no particular cultural import or universal significance, no geographic uniqueness, no ethnic exclusiveness, its certain territorial ambitions represents an enormous danger for all of Eurasia and, without resolving the Ukrainian problem, it is in general senseless to speak about continental politics". Ukraine should not be allowed to remain independent, unless it is cordon sanitaire, which would be inadmissible.

Flex Your Head

The more I read about this fu**ed-up fascist, the more I fear where this is all going to end. How on earth can someone be a pagan yet tolerate pretty much any religion, providing it's fundamental and exerts control over the masses?!?
Bunch of shite.

"Dugin derives his worldview from that of German philosopher Martin Heidegger, who joined the Nazis and ran the University of Heidelberg for them, implementing their “racial” exclusions. Like Heidegger, Dugin sees technology as eroding identity and promoting individualism, helped by “globalist elites” seeking to control the world. His “counter-revolution” aims to end the rights, liberties, science and internet of the Western world.

Adopted by educational institutions across Russia, Dugin’s influential 1997 book Foundations Of Geopolitics advocates for Russian rule “from Dublin to Vladisvostok” using military means, disinformation and leveraging natural resources. “Eurasia” is Dugin’s term for the new Russian Empire. Long before the recent invasion, he saw Ukraine as an integral part of this vision, and that Russia not controlling Ukraine would be “an enormous danger for all of Eurasia”.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006

Putin's playbook for all of this was written by a fascist with pagan tendencies named Aleksandr Dugin, back in 1997.

Bearing in mind it was written in the late 90s, you can see some of it has already happened:

The United Kingdom, merely described as an "extraterritorial floating base of the U.S.", should be cut off from Europe. Cheers Brexiteers.

The discontent in the US and their gradual retreat into isolationism. Russia in Syria and so on.

And, noticeably: Ukraine should be annexed by Russia because "Ukraine as a state has no geopolitical meaning, no particular cultural import or universal significance, no geographic uniqueness, no ethnic exclusiveness, its certain territorial ambitions represents an enormous danger for all of Eurasia and, without resolving the Ukrainian problem, it is in general senseless to speak about continental politics". Ukraine should not be allowed to remain independent, unless it is cordon sanitaire, which would be inadmissible.

It’s been given additional ‘historical’ justification (in Putins view) by Medinsky. Basically the Kremlin historian, who espouses this view of Ukraine having no meaning, that Putin has completely bought into. Medinsky is part of the Russian negotiating team in the peace talks.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
[Tweet]1505729378117988356[/Tweet]

Yup, we are being so feeble here. I also saw a stream of tweets from Kasparov, pointing out how ludicrous and weak we were being. (apologies if it’s already been posted and I’ve missed it)

https://mobile.twitter.com/kasparov63/status/1505706425129000960

One section in particular resonated:

“The West loves to lose slowly, to pass the hard choices to the next admin, shift the consequences to buffer states. Now Ukraine has exposed them because Ukraine doesn't want to lose slowly, or lose at all. Ukraine wants to win. Help them win.”

We have an opportunity to dissuade Putin from this course of action and discourage him from trying it again. It’s no surprise to me that our response so far has been “we’ve cut 20% off his pocket money and we’re all jolly cross.”

It’s exactly the sort of weak and ineffectual leadership I’ve come to expect from our current crop of politicians, who Putin has (in some cases) clearly helped elevate to their current position. It is predictably disappointing though. I’m just glad US voters had ousted Trump prior to this kicking off, and we were spared the sight of the US President declaring that Putin had been “smart” and “a genius” in organising this.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Well, that chimes with a very common Western view that nation states in general have no meaning. The get rid of borders brigade. Cheers Remainers.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yup, we are being so feeble here. I also saw a stream of tweets from Kasparov, pointing out how ludicrous and weak we were being. (apologies if it’s already been posted and I’ve missed it)

hmmm, big talk from someone who's political career melted away after minor obstacles. should really be showing more leadership in his homeland than having a whine at the west.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Back to the gravamen of the thread, i.e. the Russian invasion of Ukraine,

and just look at this:

'Russian tank factory 'suspends operations' - Ukrainian intelligence'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-60830013 - at 07:44

'Ukrainian military are reporting that a company that produces and repairs Russian tanks has suspended work at its plant in the central Russian region of Chelyabinsk due to a shortage of imported parts.
In a statement posted to Facebook, the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine reports that manufacturer Uralvagonzavod has had to pause production at the facility "due to the lack of receipts of foreign-made components".

Ukrainian military information and consultancy company Defense Express reports that Uralvagonzavod provides the only plant that carries out the assembly of tanks.
It goes on to report that the manufacturer routinely uses Western components.
There are no reports referring to the Uralvagonzavod facility in Russian media and the BBC has not been able to confirm the information in the Ukrainian statement.'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here