[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Flex Your Head

I really hope for some kind of revolution in Belarus. Lukashenko is an utter shit and Russia would doubtless back him all the way, but from all indications he lost the popular vote by some distance at the last election in Aug 2020.

A poll by the Belarus Institute of Sociology of the National Academy of Science earlier that year also showed that just 24% of people in Minsk trust him, and the nationwide protests at the election result were the biggest ever seen in the country.

Maybe Lukashenko hasn't been more active in attacking Ukraine because he knows that could lead to his downfall.

Or am I clutching at straws?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I really hope for some kind of revolution in Belarus. Lukashenko is an utter shit and Russia would doubtless back him all the way, but from all indications he lost the popular vote by some distance at the last election in Aug 2020.

A poll by the Belarus Institute of Sociology of the National Academy of Science earlier that year also showed that just 24% of people in Minsk trust him, and the nationwide protests at the election result were the biggest ever seen in the country.

Maybe Lukashenko hasn't been more active in attacking Ukraine because he knows that could lead to his downfall.

I think Belarus is a powder keg about to explode and depose that fat, ugly p***k.

arkan

Jan 26, 2010
Sittingbourne

I dont think you are clutching at all. I have a few 'underground' anarchist (very much appreciate your profile pic btw) contacts in many of the ex-soviet states and though they are ofc going to be biased against any forms of state authority, from what I gather from people I know on the ground in Minsk and Gomel it seems the 'normal' population even outside of urban areas are getting extremely frustrated at him and his regime. He is wanting to step down at somepoint in the near future and install his illegitimate son as the next president, but I dont think it will get to point before he is ousted. With their close economic ties to Russia which ofc is going down the shitter, even your hardcore Lukashenka supporter is going to lose faith when basic goods are unavailable and gas/electricity is rationed.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
It's a lovely thought, but it'll take far more than decades, even if it could be done, small or otherwise. China/goods-wise, we've made our beds there, and bear in mind folk here are struggling financially now, let alone when all the added increases come home to roost, it's just not feasible.

Just using your example of walking shoes - the vast majority who are in the market for a pair cannot afford to pay double, and even if they could, it's but a mere drop in the ocean as to what would be required.

do people have to be so materiastic? chinese shmutter is invariably tat, and therefore not VFM :shrug:

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
do people have to be so materiastic? chinese shmutter is invariably tat, and therefore not VFM :shrug:

If you're in a position to pay way over the odds for the items you need, all I can say is 'lucky you'. Most cannot, and it will be a very long time before we can offer the things we all use on a daily basis, at anything approaching 'affordable' to the average person on the street.

But you're correct in one respect: 'Why do people have to be so materialistic?'

Answers on a postcard, please.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
If you're in a position to pay way over the odds for the items you need, all I can say is 'lucky you'. Most cannot, and it will be a very long time before we can offer the things we all use on a daily basis, at anything approaching 'affordable' to the average person on the street.

But you're correct in one respect: 'Why do people have to be so materialistic?'

Answers on a postcard, please.

i spend way to much of my time at work fixing chinese tat, so i know how they make it so cheap. if you went without for a bit, saved up yer pennies, and bought a proper one, it would save you money :shrug:

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
i spend way to much of my time at work fixing chinese tat, so i know how they make it so cheap. if you went without for a bit, saved up yer pennies, and bought a proper one, it would save you money :shrug:

Idealistic and impractical, but thanks for the idea.

Besides, this is way off-topic for this thread, so let's leave that, eh?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
What is he wittering on about ?

Anyone can reference what is said in Parliament without any legal jeopardy.

I’ve often wondered whether this assertion is true; your post prompted me to do a tiny bit of research.

What I found is far too long to copy and paste here, so I provide a good-faith summary: ees complicated.

I started here https://erskinemay.parliament.uk/se...side-parliament-of-parliamentary-proceedings/ and here https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/jt201314/jtselect/jtprivi/30/3009.htm

I think it’s fair to conclude that the statement ‘ Anyone can reference what is said in Parliament without any legal jeopardy’ is definitely not the case.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I’ve often wondered whether this assertion is true; your post prompted me to do a tiny bit of research.

What I found is far too long to copy and paste here, so I provide a good-faith summary: ees complicated.

I started here https://erskinemay.parliament.uk/se...side-parliament-of-parliamentary-proceedings/ and here https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/jt201314/jtselect/jtprivi/30/3009.htm

I think it’s fair to conclude that the statement ‘ Anyone can reference what is said in Parliament without any legal jeopardy’ is definitely not the case.

OK, looks like I took a too simplistic view, and that's the last rabbit hole debate I want to go down right now with more important matters at hand.

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Russian footballer asks not to be picked for national team
Artem Dzyuba, one of Russia's all-time leading goalscorers, has asked not to be picked for the national team because of the conflict in Ukraine, coach Valery Karpin said in an interview published today.

Mr Karpin said he had spoken to the 33-year-old Zenit St Petersburg striker at the weekend about selection for a training camp in Moscow.

Russia has been suspended from international soccer by UEFA and FIFA over events in Ukraine and kicked out of qualifying for the World Cup in Qatar later this year.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
No-one....anywhere...will be 'taking over' anything but a toxic wasteland, should we enter WW3. Anyone who thinks otherwise is utterly deluded.

So just to be clear, anyone who thinks a different outcome is also possible is "utterly deluded". We're not talking degrees of probability, you've worked it out, presumably via some sort of precognitive vision you've had.

All i'd say mate is the Cheltenham festival is on this weekend, so if you're powers of clairvoyance are that strong, i'd be putting them to use there.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I should add this for balance as I was slagging off the gov/Home Office a few weeks ago for the inaction in getting my in-laws here. They've been granted their visas and will be with us in the coming days, it's been quick and relatively painless despite the early teething problems. My MP was actually quite helpful as well.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I should add this for balance as I was slagging off the gov/Home Office a few weeks ago for the inaction in getting my in-laws here. They've been granted their visas and will be with us in the coming days, it's been quick and relatively painless despite the early teething problems. My MP was actually quite helpful as well.

Excellent news; hope it is the first of many good news stories of refugees finding their way safely to the UK. Must be a massive relief for you and your family.

Of course, we should still be asking why HMG and our wonderful Home Secretary caused so much anguish with their dithering and delays.

arkan

Jan 26, 2010
Sittingbourne
Russian footballer asks not to be picked for national team
Artem Dzyuba, one of Russia's all-time leading goalscorers, has asked not to be picked for the national team because of the conflict in Ukraine, coach Valery Karpin said in an interview published today.

Mr Karpin said he had spoken to the 33-year-old Zenit St Petersburg striker at the weekend about selection for a training camp in Moscow.

Russia has been suspended from international soccer by UEFA and FIFA over events in Ukraine and kicked out of qualifying for the World Cup in Qatar later this year.

I was looking at their fixture list and obviously all of their upcoming games have been cancelled. So who would actually play against them in an unofficial friendly? Surely there can only be a very small number of teams who arent that arsed about the wrath of FIFA. North Korea? Eritrea?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I was looking at their fixture list and obviously all of their upcoming games have been cancelled. So who would actually play against them in an unofficial friendly? Surely there can only be a very small number of teams who arent that arsed about the wrath of FIFA. North Korea? Eritrea?
Indeed. He's said he doesn't want to be selected for the games they don't have

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports