Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
18:1 in a Stalingrad fortified Kyiv providing all the barricades, ambush points and booby traps have been setup.

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

That would work out to requiring approximately 10,000 fighters to take on the 180,000 Russians, however Russia is not investing all of those troops at Kyiv. Furthermore that suggests that Russia cannot ever take or hold the Ukraine, they can however use dirty or nuclear attacks to break peoples will, which sadly I think they will resort to.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
That would work out to requiring approximately 10,000 fighters to take on the 180,000 Russians, however Russia is not investing all of those troops at Kyiv. Furthermore that suggests that Russia cannot ever take or hold the Ukraine, they can however use dirty or nuclear attacks to break peoples will, which sadly I think they will resort to.
Well a major chemical weapons strike on Kyiv could cause problems. I've heard the UK is shipping them chemical weapons protection but that is no more than a rumour. The best Western urban conflict experts will have been advising on how to turn Kyiv into a death trap for Russians for weeks.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds

Nuclear weapons, even if ‘tactical’, used in or around Kyiv really would be crossing the rubicon for Russia and the world. I still believe ANY nuclear weapon used on a civilian population would be the beginning of the end, and I hope and pray that Putin isn’t mad or stupid enough to resort to that.

Chemical weapons I am less confident about. They have form in Syria, and given the total lack of disregard for human suffering on display so far, it sadly wouldn’t surprise me, especially if the Russians do find the welcome party to be more than a bit hostile.

I say I hope I’m wrong, but either way it’s just a debate on different forms of death and destruction, which I find hugely depressing.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
They won't go into Kyiv though will they?

Just pulverise it over the next few weeks from a safe distance until life there becomes impossible for the civilians.

It helps Putin that the Russian Army won't witness this at first hand as they might question what it is they are doing and why.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
18:1 in a Stalingrad fortified Kyiv providing all the barricades, ambush points and booby traps have been setup.

The Ukrainian defenders will have probably worked out all the angles and have at least mortars and some arty to cover any incursion in to the city. Not sure about 18-1 but its going to take a lot of good ground troops to break through and I don't think the Russians have either the quality or the quantity required. The Ukrainians are very determined and i really think that Russia is stuffed now, they can't take the country and they can't withdraw either as they will be chased all the way to the border,

danielson81

Nov 16, 2010
Brighton, UK
Russian TV journalist resigns
A prominent journalist working for a Kremlin-controlled TV station has resigned in the wake of the on-screen protest by Channel One journalist Marina Ovsyannikova.

Vadim Glusker, NTV's Brussels correspondent, has been confirmed to have resigned by the state news agency RIA Novosti.

NTV told RIA Novosti that Glusker stopped working for it "in early March" and that his decision was "to do with health reasons". NTV is Russia's third most popular TV station and is owned by gas giant Gazprom and is firmly pro-Kremlin.

There are also reports that Zhanna Agalakova, Channel One's correspondent in Paris, has resigned - but these have not been confirmed.

Earlier, we brought you reports that a news presenter from NTV had resigned and left the country.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/wor...30b140ec502b53cd48245d&pinned_post_type=share
Dropping like flies, good. Well its a start.

Yoda

English & European

Just pulverise it over the next few weeks from a safe distance until life there becomes impossible for the civilians.

It helps Putin that the Russian Army won't witness this at first hand as they might question what it is they are doing and why.

They're probably even telling their troops carrying out the shelling that the majority if not all civilians have fled the city, hence the indiscriminate targeting of residential areas an hospitals etc...

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Seems like she's alive and well with only a £213 fine.
I feel like she only walked away from this because it was a high profile case all over the news.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-60746557?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=6230c799980bea49f4b7cab3%26Russian%20TV%20protester%20says%20it%20was%20her%20own%20decision%262022-03-15T17%3A10%3A43.059Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:ee6d5fc0-f633-4dac-9bcc-1e449853ec36&pinned_post_asset_id=6230c799980bea49f4b7cab3&pinned_post_type=share

Marina Ovsyannikova, the state TV employee who staged an anti-war protest during a live bulletin last night in Moscow, has been fined 30,000 roubles (£213).

She was charged with an administrative offence under Russia’s protest laws. It was because of the video she released calling for others to demonstrate against what the Kremlin calls it’ "special military operation" in Ukraine.

Speaking outside the court, Ovsyannikova said: “It was my anti-war decision. I made this decision by myself because I don’t like Russia starting this invasion. It was really terrible.

“I want to thank everyone for their support, friends and colleagues. It has been very hard few days in my life. I spent two days without sleep. I was being questioned for over 14 hours.”

She accused the authorities of initially denying her legal help. Her lawyers also said in court that despite asking for a lawyer to be present, she was not given access to one for several hours.

“They didn’t allow me to get in touch with close ones and relatives. They didn’t not allow any legal help. I was in a hard condition,” said Ovsyannikova.

She asked to be allowed to rest before commenting further and said again that it was her decision alone to stage her protest.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
So the sentence for the woman who held the sign on the Russian news was a small fine.

What do you make of this? Is it a sign of judicial independence? Is it a sign, on some level, they do actually care what the world thinks? Are they going to come back with other charges?

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
I feel like she only walked away from this because it was a high profile case all over the news.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-60746557?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=6230c799980bea49f4b7cab3%26Russian%20TV%20protester%20says%20it%20was%20her%20own%20decision%262022-03-15T17%3A10%3A43.059Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:ee6d5fc0-f633-4dac-9bcc-1e449853ec36&pinned_post_asset_id=6230c799980bea49f4b7cab3&pinned_post_type=share

Marina Ovsyannikova, the state TV employee who staged an anti-war protest during a live bulletin last night in Moscow, has been fined 30,000 roubles (£213).

She was charged with an administrative offence under Russia’s protest laws. It was because of the video she released calling for others to demonstrate against what the Kremlin calls it’ "special military operation" in Ukraine.

Speaking outside the court, Ovsyannikova said: “It was my anti-war decision. I made this decision by myself because I don’t like Russia starting this invasion. It was really terrible.

“I want to thank everyone for their support, friends and colleagues. It has been very hard few days in my life. I spent two days without sleep. I was being questioned for over 14 hours.”

She accused the authorities of initially denying her legal help. Her lawyers also said in court that despite asking for a lawyer to be present, she was not given access to one for several hours.

“They didn’t allow me to get in touch with close ones and relatives. They didn’t not allow any legal help. I was in a hard condition,” said Ovsyannikova.

She asked to be allowed to rest before commenting further and said again that it was her decision alone to stage her protest.

So the sentence for the woman who held the sign on the Russian news was a small fine.

What do you make of this? Is it a sign of judicial independence? Is it a sign, on some level, they do actually care what the world thinks? Are they going to come back with other charges?

I thought that was for first offence. If they do it again, 5 years +...

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds

Slipped some mind-bending drugs, given a few electric shocks to the cerebral cortex, and is now a sleeper agent for the Kremlin.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Unfortunately most white goods are manufactured in China ….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, many are. We need to reintroduce our domestic manufacturing in the West. My brother lives in Oz, wanted a new pair of walking boots, took him weeks to find a pair made in Oz, paid double, but he did it 👍

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
If we start now, we'd probably be able to in about 50 years. Tarriffs could bring up 20%+ increases on imports from China which I am sure will go down well with the overall rises in cost of living at the moment

I wasn't really thinking of tarifs...just make small changes every month, buy EU, British made when you can. Freedom and true independence will come at a cost, that's true

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Well a major chemical weapons strike on Kyiv could cause problems. I've heard the UK is shipping them chemical weapons protection but that is no more than a rumour. The best Western urban conflict experts will have been advising on how to turn Kyiv into a death trap for Russians for weeks.

Your Suwalki corridor theory. Its not a theory.

Openly talking about the invasion from Belarus to Kalinigrad on state TV today, you wont need to undertand the lingo, you'll understand.

[tweet]1503798267368427528[/tweet]

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
That'll be the issue - most people can't afford to pay double.

Yes, but if we want to reduce dependency on China then we could start small. Then western manufacturing will slowly ramp up.
Also, some manufacturing is now moving out of China to Vietnam e.g., as wages go up in China. Yes, it'll take decades to adjust.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
It has puzzled me how the Kremlin think they can hide their brutal attack on Ukraine from their population forever. A genocide disguised as a "special military operation". Bombing russian speaking cities.

They can make a good go at suppressing news in the short term but the cat will surely be out of the bag at some point.
Yes, for many, but as you know a large percentage of the Russian population live with their eyes and ears shut to new news - they like it that way, makes their lives simpler

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

Indeed... a lot easier to press launch buttons as if it's a video game, rather than partake in face to face combat with your cousins

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Nah not quite, the fine today was merely for the offence of calling for people to stand up and protest on the streets in the accompanying video she made.

The actual live TV protest appearance is still to be prosecuted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here