Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
A further update on the drone front.

Edit: for orientation, Kovylkino is about 600 km south east of Moscow.
A very interesting and detailed piece 👍.
Russia will need hundreds more air defense systems to protect its precious infrastructure.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Another day, another drone attack on a Russian industrial target, this time on a chemical plant where solid fuel for anti-aircraft missiles is produced.

Anyone would think Ukraine was planning for the future, clearing the decks for larger scale drone operations, not to mention the warmly anticipated arrival of F16s.

Edit: As you were, move along, nothing to see here. Local Russian authorities say the only damage is broken windows.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Who knew 2 years ago, youd become the NSC resident drone oracle!

I love these updates ETM
I do actually have a bit of 'previous' with drones, albeit only in a small way though, nothing first hand.

In the mid-1980s, I worked in the IT department of a defence company north of London. Amongst many other things, they made drones to test radar, and there were sometimes reports of UFOs in the local area.

As an aside, we were advised not to discuss work in local pubs, where Russians would drive up from the Russian embassy and hang about, hoping to hear something of interest. They were at it even forty years ago.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I do actually have a bit of 'previous' with drones, albeit only in a small way though, nothing first hand.

In the mid-1980s, I worked in the IT department of a defence company north of London. Amongst many other things, they made drones to test radar, and there were sometimes reports of UFOs in the local area.

As an aside, we were advised not to discuss work in local pubs, where Russians would drive up from the Russian embassy and hang about, hoping to hear something of interest. They were at it even forty years ago.
I expect you left a few fake diagrams around ...under the beer mats 😏

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I expect you left a few fake diagrams around ...under the beer mats 😏
Not at all. I steered well clear of that kind of thing. I used to drink in one of the named pubs, and I thought 'how do we know the Russians are doing this?', the answer of course being that our surveillance personnel had followed them up from London and were also probably in the pub.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Not at all. I steered well clear of that kind of thing. I used to drink in one of the named pubs, and I thought 'how do we know the Russians are doing this?', the answer of course being that our surveillance personnel had followed them up from London and were also probably in the pub.
I bet the publican was happy to have the business...increased vodka sales 😉

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It seems like everyone on here hates the USA, until they need money.

Yes, sad indeed…

Why are you agreeing with your own posts? Did you forget to switch accounts or something?

On your point though: I don't hate the US. It's a powerful democratic country and far better than the powerful autocracies of this world, and the world needs democracies to prevail. That's not to say that there's not an awful lot wrong with it. The politics are in a terrible state, and people supporting Trump does make you wonder whether democracy will fail, and we'll all end up losing our freedom.

Last edited:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I *think* that The Vegan was commenting upon Zeberdi's 'sad face' reaction to that post (which was the first and only reaction for some time, until others added theirs).
I often wish there was a way to react directly to other people's reactions.
Normally when somebody's given me the "shocked" face and I can't work out why.

Edit: very good Eric :lolol:

Last edited:

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Another day, another drone attack on a Russian industrial target, this time on a chemical plant where solid fuel for anti-aircraft missiles is produced.

Anyone would think Ukraine was planning for the future, clearing the decks for larger scale drone operations, not to mention the warmly anticipated arrival of F16s.

Edit: As you were, move along, nothing to see here. Local Russian authorities say the only damage is broken windows.

Why are you agreeing with your own posts? Did you forget to switch accounts or something?

On your point though: I don't hate the US. It's a powerful democratic country and far better than the powerful autocracies of this world, and the world needs democracies to prevail. That's not to say that there's not an awful lot wrong with it. The politics is in a terrible state, and people supporting Trump does make you wonder whether democracy will fail, and we'll all end up losing our freedom.
What a choice though, Biden or Trump? Look round the world & politicians seem to be all crap, perhaps they always were we just didn't notice it so much.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

To be fair, if that's where they make fuel, then it looks like the fuel itself wasn't hit.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

You should have had specific meetings to come up with fake topics you could discuss.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
DW News is reporting the arrest of 2 Russian spies in southern Germany near a US base. Arrested for planning sabotage of defence supplies to Ukraine (sorry I can’t provide a link)

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
To be fair, if that's where they make fuel, then it looks like the fuel itself wasn't hit.
Hmm, it does look like that. There's certainly a fire in the upper floors, but we don't know at what point the picture was taken during the fire, (just after impact?), how or when the solid fuel combusts, or even if that was important.

As a general principle, I believe the opposite of what a Russian tells me, so I take comfort from the fact that the Russian authorities announced that there wasn't much damage. This is a good sign.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
You should have had specific meetings to come up with fake topics you could discuss.
It didn't occur to me, or my colleagues. Nobody suggested doing such a thing. I was a programmer in my mid 20s at British Aerospace, which was a highly regimented environment. It was a good place to learn though, as the standards were incredibly high.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Another plea from Zelenskiy for more air defense systems and more ammunition/shells. How many times will he have to ask before they are delivered.
He is tireless.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here