Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
There's another possibility in this delay (ok there's no delay at all as logistics strikes having been gathering pace), that the Ukraine hierarchy are waiting for particular kit and the capability to deploy particular kit. Such as the long range missiles it's being reported today that we are donating or have donated.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I think the US actually said this before Zelenskyy’s statement. If I recall it was said in some press conference by Blinken a few days ago.

So it’s more Zelenskyy pushing back saying “yes we have enough to meet objectives but at an unacceptable human cost”

I’m not sure whether the fact this is being discussed openly is indicative that the counteroffensive is imminent (lulling Russia into thinking they have more time) or a genuine tactic to draw more support before going in big.
Thanks, yes I think Blinken did say it a few days back.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
There's another possibility in this delay (ok there's no delay at all as logistics strikes having been gathering pace), that the Ukraine hierarchy are waiting for particular kit and the capability to deploy particular kit. Such as the long range missiles it's being reported today that we are donating or have donated.

Yes, that's what he said early on in the BBC clip:

'In terms of equipment, not everything has arrived yet'.

I don't know if there is a link between what he said, and this news on the BBC:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I Read 2 interesting articles that may or not be 2+2=4. That Russia through back channels have told the US that ATACMS are a red line.

Not sure how we could ever get to the point where the aggressor sets the terms for the response to their genocide!

But then not very long after the UK is putting out a global procurement for long range missiles to donate to Ukraine.

Could it be that the US will sell ATACMS to UK to then donate?

Seemingly the UK is in a tender/procurement phase rather than at point of donation

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I Read 2 interesting articles that may or not be 2+2=4. That Russia through back channels have told the US that ATACMS are a red line.

Not sure how we could ever get to the point where the aggressor sets the terms for the response to their genocide!

But then not very long after the UK is putting out a global procurement for long range missiles to donate to Ukraine.

Could it be that the US will sell ATACMS to UK to then donate?

Seemingly the UK is in a tender/procurement phase rather than at point of donation
Red lines? pah? They've said this before. **** em. The world needs to be les scared of bellicose rhetoric from Russia.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Red lines? pah? They've said this before. **** em. The world needs to be les scared of bellicose rhetoric from Russia.

Absolutely this, Putin is (I suspect in every sense of the word) impotent.

He can threaten whatever he wants, but the reality of geopolitics is that the most extreme actions he advocates would lose him all international support and immediately begin a global conflict he cannot win. He can’t beat one of his neighbours, let alone NATO combined.

I know there are posters on here who believe the Russian hype, that Putin is “El loco” etc etc, but the simple fact is he’s been poorly advised, badly misjudged his neighbours and will eventually have to agree a face-saving deal or accept swift annihilation if he decides to “take on the world.”

The only scenario I fear is actually Trump returning to the White House before the battle is settled, he can’t wait to hand huge swathes of Ukraine over to his master.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Absolutely this, Putin is (I suspect in every sense of the word) impotent.

He can threaten whatever he wants, but the reality of geopolitics is that the most extreme actions he advocates would lose him all international support and immediately begin a global conflict he cannot win. He can’t beat one of his neighbours, let alone NATO combined.

I know there are posters on here who believe the Russian hype, that Putin is “El loco” etc etc, but the simple fact is he’s been poorly advised, badly misjudged his neighbours and will eventually have to agree a face-saving deal or accept swift annihilation if he decides to “take on the world.”

The only scenario I fear is actually Trump returning to the White House before the battle is settled, he can’t wait to hand huge swathes of Ukraine over to his master.
Yes. Decisive Ukraine success this summer would make the next year or so much less complicated.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It’s really rather simple and also, I suspect rather complicated. However, If the West wished to supply the right weapons to Ukraine to end this war, they would have done so long ago.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
It’s really rather simple and also, I suspect rather complicated. However, If the West wished to supply the right weapons to Ukraine to end this war, they would have done so long ago.
I personally think the West, whilst siding with the victim Ukraine, and feeling a degree of moral revulsion and genuine need to support, is also worried about the what next if Putin falls ( is Putin worse than a blood thirsty loon like Prigorzhin or Kadyrov? ) or is backed into such a corner he feels he has nothing left to lose so does something crazy like nukes......

It does often feel like the support is enough to ensure Putin can't win, but not quite enough to ensure he's desively defeated.

If the real truth were known, I'd bet the US and soft EU pseudo supporters like France & Germany would love a settlement where Putin gets something face saving like Crimea and avoids the perceived risks to west of his total wipeout.

Ukraine shouldn't accept this and cannot politically, but the support or lack thereof seems imho designed to try and get to this preferred Western, risk averse outcome.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I agree.

Here is my own personal take.

The west has drip-fed Ukraine with just enough weapons to defend itself, but not enough to win the war. Along with sanctions, this has had the effect of slowly draining Russia of money, its war chest, friends, power, influence, troops, an acquiescent population, an economy and a future.

If the west had supplied Ukraine with the right weapons to end the war, Russia could still have ended the war as the loser, but not as weakened as it already is, and able to have another go in a few years time.

I think the west has played a blinder, and done it with very few boots on the ground.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I agree.

Here is my own personal take.

The west has drip-fed Ukraine with just enough weapons to defend itself, but not enough to win the war. Along with sanctions, this has had the effect of slowly draining Russia of money, its war chest, friends, power, influence, troops, an acquiescent population, an economy and a future.

If the west had supplied Ukraine with the right weapons to end the war, Russia could still have ended the war as the loser, but not as weakened as it already is, and able to have another go in a few years time.

I think the west has played a blinder, and done it with very few boots on the ground.
It's a valid view, and could be correct (although it's all shades of grey). Let's see how it turns out...if we ever get to a point where it feels like the conflict has ended.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Here's an update from the OSCE talking shop. The speeches are always in measured tones, but I found this one more interesting than usual. A big shame though he referred to Russian "colleagues" in the room... I mean WTAF.
Anyway, may be interesting for some of us unaware of these regular updates.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Here's an update from the OSCE talking shop. The speeches are always in measured tones, but I found this one more interesting than usual. A big shame though he referred to Russian "colleagues" in the room... I mean WTAF.
Anyway, may be interesting for some of us unaware of these regular updates.

Yes, a good speech, tainted somewhat by the 'Russian colleagues'. They are a lot of things, but are most definitely not colleagues. Perhaps this was just a result of the speaker failing to find an alternative word that struck a less collaborative tone. Russian nationals?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
By the sound of things on Twitter things are starting to happen. Lots of small exploratory advances by Ukraine..they are feeling out the Russians and looking for weaknesses.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The Vatniks and russian bots absolutely lost it on twitter over the UK supplying Storm Shadow missiles.

Shouldn't have used Novichok and Polonium-210 in the UK should they ? Lol.

Storm warning from the Minister of Defense:

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Comical Ali.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here