Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Russian state TV the other day complaining and worrying about China talking too much about historical rights, given what it could mean for some now Russian territory that used to belong to China.

You couldn't write it.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Russian state TV the other day complaining and worrying about China talking too much about historical rights, given what it could mean for some now Russian territory that used to belong to China.

You couldn't write it.
Apparently that could be Vladivostok port and surrounding area 👍👍

"Established as a Chinese settlement around 600 AD Vladivostok was known as Yongmingcheng (永明城 [Yǒngmíngchéng], "city of eternal light") during the Yuan dynasty and remained part of China until the Second Opium War when Russia seized it for its Pacific naval base along with 1.5 million square kilometers of territory of ..."

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex

You just wonder don't you ? So much Russian defensive build up in the Melitopol region to protect against a push South towards Crimea. Could they somehow, under cover of darkness, transport a large offensive formation across the Dnieper and strike East, outflanking those positions. I read the other day that the forces holding the part of the Kherson region that Russia still holds, are likely the poorest forces they have at the front

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
You just wonder don't you ? So much Russian defensive build up in the Melitopol region to protect against a push South towards Crimea. Could they somehow, under cover of darkness, transport a large offensive formation across the Dnieper and strike East, outflanking those positions. I read the other day that the forces holding the part of the Kherson region that Russia still holds, are likely the poorest forces they have at the front
Whatever happens there'll be diversions of diversions on the way - Ukraine military have shown themselves to be pretty smart. 🤞🤞🤞

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

You couldn't write it.
I've long been of the opinion that Russian state TV is a goldmine of information that you wouldn't otherwise necessarily be aware of.

This is because it offers a window on the thoughts of those in the Kremlin. Their complaints and concerns, on Chinese expansionism are set against the backdrop of a steadily weakening Russia, that no-one in authority will admit to. Before the war, this wasn't on the radar. But it is now....

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

You couldn't write it.
China is waiting and waiting while Russia gets weaker and weaker. Perhaps encouraging them to keep going.

As soon as a civil war erupts in any part of Russia - or when Putin is toppled - then they pile into their lost lands around Vladivostok ?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Even China votes to declare Russia an aggressor state at the UN.

Even China.
Wow, I didn't see that coming.

What on earth has made them change their minds? They are blood brothers (or some other weird union thing) after-all.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
In the fullness of time, I wonder if Russia will rue its costly suspicion of NATO, at the very time when the real existential threat to Russia, lies much further east.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
In their interests to stand to one side and watch Russia implode from every angle.
Also in their interests to see democracy in Ukraine fail, and see Russia take over the place and be a strong enemy to the West, hence China being on Russia's side until now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here