Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Is it just my take or are the West/ Nato now slowing down the supply of arms to aide Ukraine.
My impression is that it is being ramped up with better drones, and armoured vehicles - even including some ex soviet tanks - now being sent. Of course much more can be done.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
My impression is that it is being ramped up with better drones, and armoured vehicles - even including some ex soviet tanks - now being sent. Of course much more can be done.

Hopefully that is the case, maybe now trying to keep it under the radar.
They are going to need some assistance with the ruskies now intent on taking the two regions plus more in the south

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Hopefully that is the case, maybe now trying to keep it under the radar.
They are going to need some assistance with the ruskies now intent on taking the two regions plus more in the south
Yes, the danger is in complacency creeping in.

There is still the Donbas battle and I am watching news about Kherson and Mykolaiv like a hawk as that opens the way to Odesa and then Moldova.

In the south the terrain is less ambush friendly. In the North once the mud goes the forests turn green hiding all the ambushes.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yes, the danger is in complacency creeping in.

There is still the Donbas battle and I am watching news about Kherson and Mykolaiv like a hawk as that opens the way to Odesa and then Moldova.

In the south the terrain is less ambush friendly. In the North once the mud goes the forests turn green hiding all the ambushes.
Desperate need for those large Switchblade suicide drones and more Javelin anti tank missiles .. the Switchblades need to be used to destroy and disrupt rail and road logistics...need to stop artillery and rocket ammo getting to the front....then the UA have a chance.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Anyone see Guy Verhoftadt's speech? (could have been yesterday..)

Brilliant - I've no idea how to put t up on here, but everyone should see/hear it - it's on twitter.

We all (UK, USA, EU) need to stop sending Russia millions of £/$/€ every day, funding their army and it has to stop.

How can we watch the horrific pictures coming out of Ukraine and still continue to have ANY trade with them?

It appears that it's Austria, Germany and (no surprise) Hungary who are against a ban on Russian Oil/Gas. Shame on them.

Shame on them.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
No surprise on Hungary. Orban is Putin's EU stooge (shamefully re-elected this week too).

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Ukraine's Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba calls on Nato to make quick decisions about how best to help stop President Putin's forces.

“Either you help us now, and I’m speaking about days not weeks, or your help will come too late and many people will die, many civilians will lose their homes, many villages will be destroyed, exactly because this help came too late."

New sanctions have been agreed by the US and UK this week, but EU members are yet to agree on its latest proposals - and Kuleba wants all sanctions to go further than they have already, to include a ban on Russian oil and gas.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sure, but what about Austria and Germany?
Whilst I understand that Germany are hugely reliant on Russian gas (due to the mistake of not building nuclear) and that stopping Russian gas imports will lead to a recession, how bad a recession are we talking? It would have to be pretty bloody massive to justify enabling Russia to continue their war.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Anyone see Guy Verhoftadt's speech? (could have been yesterday..)

Brilliant - I've no idea how to put t up on here, but everyone should see/hear it - it's on twitter.

We all (UK, USA, EU) need to stop sending Russia millions of £/$/€ every day, funding their army and it has to stop.

How can we watch the horrific pictures coming out of Ukraine and still continue to have ANY trade with them?

It appears that it's Austria, Germany and (no surprise) Hungary who are against a ban on Russian Oil/Gas. Shame on them.

Shame on them.

https://youtu.be/41wft1daADg

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Whilst I understand that Germany are hugely reliant on Russian gas (due to the mistake of not building nuclear) and that stopping Russian gas imports will lead to a recession, how bad a recession are we talking? It would have to be pretty bloody massive to justify enabling Russia to continue their war.

For me, I would quite happily endure a recession if it meant that we screwed Putin over.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
For me, I would quite happily endure a recession if it meant that we screwed Putin over.

I feel the same, but polling booth amnesia is i'm sure as prevalent there as it is here and I can see why they are reluctant to put damage the economy during this cost of living crisis. A 3% reduction in GDP was the figure I saw for cutting off Russia, so significant. It's up to the German people now to pressure their decision makers

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A 3% reduction in GDP was the figure I saw for cutting off Russia, so significant.
Do it. People are being raped, tortured, murdered, and starved to death in huge numbers. Take the recession already.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
[Tweet]1512074982183997450[/Tweet]

An application for NATO to "expand" into Finland is now imminent.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Ukraine's Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba calls on Nato to make quick decisions about how best to help stop President Putin's forces.

“Either you help us now, and I’m speaking about days not weeks, or your help will come too late and many people will die, many civilians will lose their homes, many villages will be destroyed, exactly because this help came too late."

New sanctions have been agreed by the US and UK this week, but EU members are yet to agree on its latest proposals - and Kuleba wants all sanctions to go further than they have already, to include a ban on Russian oil and gas.

What merit is there in us and the USA imposing more sanctions all the time the EU is paying tens of billions of Euros into Russia which is propping up the Russian economy and keeping Putin in power?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

major recession. i havent seen specific forecasts, its obvious that cutting 50% of your energy is going to have a massive impact to domestic use, commerce and industry. not just energy either, gas is major feedstock for chemical industry that Germany leads in. it isnt something they can just replace, there's years of new infrastructure required to ship in replacement sources. and all the neighbours doing he same, so pressure on people and know how to build. its not something to take lightly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here