Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
'Former football star quits job over Ukraine tweet' - BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-60991746 at 20:21

Former England footballer Matt Le Tissier has stepped down from an ambassador role at his ex-club Southampton, after a backlash over a controversial tweet about Ukraine.
Le Tissier had shared a post which appeared to suggest there could have been media manipulation in the reporting of the war.
He later deleted the tweet, and claimed people were "missing the point" of his post. He also clarified that he did not advocate war in any form.
Nonetheless he said he was stepping down to "avoid any confusion".

Edit: I know it's irrelevant, but he was box office. Not the most prolific, but he scored some of the best goals this country has ever seen. I'm gutted for him.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

Former England footballer Matt Le Tissier has stepped down from an ambassador role at his ex-club Southampton, after a backlash over a controversial tweet about Ukraine.
Le Tissier had shared a post which appeared to suggest there could have been media manipulation in the reporting of the war.
He later deleted the tweet, and claimed people were "missing the point" of his post. He also clarified that he did not advocate war in any form.
Nonetheless he said he was stepping down to "avoid any confusion".

Edit: I know it's irrelevant, but he was box office. Not the most prolific, but he scored some of the best goals this country has ever seen. I'm gutted for him.
He’s gone a bit odd recently hasn’t he, not the full David Icke but definitely a bit Swansman.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
He’s gone a bit odd recently hasn’t he, not the full David Icke but definitely a bit Swansman.

He made the fatal mistake of thinking that being a brilliant footballer, meant that he would naturally excel in other endeavours. It's the Dunning and Kruger effect being played out in all its glory.

A cognitive bias, in which people of low ability in some domain, overestimate their ability, actually believing their ability is far greater than it really is. They don't have the capacity to understand how incompetent they are.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
'Ukraine war: Russians fed twisted picture and one voice - that of Putin' - BBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-61008293

This is a difficult read but do persevere - we need to be aware of it. Russian state media is even worse than we thought.

Yes it is, crazy levels of deception, it's Orwells 1984 on steroids. Russian propaganda makes Joseph Goebbels look like an amateur.

This was most shocking, on Ria Navosti one I'd largest media publications in Russia, openly calling for genocide. You'll have to right click on chrome to translate to English, but truly mind boggling article.

https://ria.ru/20220403/ukraina-1781469605.html

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Yes it is, crazy levels of deception, it's Orwells 1984 on steroids. Russian propaganda makes Joseph Goebbels look like an amateur.

This was most shocking, on Ria Navosti one I'd largest media publications in Russia, openly calling for genocide. You'll have to right click on chrome to translate to English, but truly mind boggling article.

https://ria.ru/20220403/ukraina-1781469605.html

Agreed. I thought the BBC article was a difficult read, but your example takes the difficulty to a different level.

No doubt some of it was lost in translation, and much of it was poorly written anyway, using flowery academic, class-war language, but you're right.

It calls for genocide. Ukraine doesn't have the right to exist.

And thoughout the attempts to justify it, amongst the claims about Nazis, and the need to 'de-nazify' Ukraine, there isn't a hint of recognition that it is advocating the very thing which it is against.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Being stupid is like being dead. You don’t know you’re dead. It’s not hard on you, just all those around you.
The prevalence of mad conspiracy theorists suggests you're right, but I can't understand it. When people failed at school, they seemed to know they weren't very clever. Over time have they just forgotten?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The prevalence of mad conspiracy theorists suggests you're right, but I can't understand it. When people failed at school, they seemed to know they weren't very clever. Over time have they just forgotten?

Having a healthy bank balance or somehow getting into positions of power, stardom like Le Tissier & Icke, will go along way to helping you forget your a feckwit.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

He later deleted the tweet, and claimed people were "missing the point" of his post.
Yep, it's definitely our fault for missing the point.

Gutted that there's been a backlash and he's left his role, or gutted that he's lost his mind?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Yep, it's definitely our fault for missing the point.

Gutted that there's been a backlash and he's left his role, or gutted that he's lost his mind?

Gutted that he's lost his mind. I'm gutted that despite being a brilliant footballer, he has broadcast to the world what a dummkopf he is.

All he had to do was keep quiet and play videos of his best goals, placing bets on the outcome, between drinks. But no, he thought he had more to offer the world.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

The current crop of world leaders rely on a healthy population of idiots.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

After failing at school, they all achieved a first class honours from the University of Life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here