Russell Martin

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
If this turns out to be true then at the price quoted he is not coming here to be back up or cover. Unless the injury concerns over the German or Goldson are worse than being reported I do wonder if Dunk will go. Would people be happy with this if the money from the sale is used for Martin and added the striker fund which is the key signing for me.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

Because the implication is Dunk will be sold. We wouldn't pay north of 2 million for a 3rd/4th choice player. So, if these rumours are true, we'd be buying a starting c.b. We know that Dunk is coveted by other teams, we know he's not afraid to slap in a transfer request, so...it seems the obvious conclusion is that Martin would be Dunk's replacement.

Whether that's true or not, who knows? But it seems fairly logical. Hopefully it would be a case of 2 + 2 = any number but 4...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Because the implication is Dunk will be sold. We wouldn't pay north of 2 million for a 3rd/4th choice player. So, if these rumours are true, we'd be buying a starting c.b. We know that Dunk is coveted by other teams, we know he's not afraid to slap in a transfer request, so...it seems the obvious conclusion is that Martin would be Dunk's replacement.

Whether that's true or not, who knows? But it seems fairly logical. Hopefully it would be a case of 2 + 2 = any number but 4...

Yes. except who replaces Greer (in this scenario) ? Dallison ? Another purchase ? What about the right back cover that potentially he offers.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Just can't see it.

The club selling to a rival for promotion? The player leaving for a promotion rival knowing it could backfire on him?
I've no idea how the club would spin selling Dunk to Newcastle as a good deal.

It would have to be a frighteningly high fee, over 15 million I'd suggest.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well now I've no idea.

On one side

- CH telling a fan it's not happening.
- Naylor saying it's not happening.
- Indications on NSC that CH doesn't rate RM as a CB, which is where the squad vacancy is.
- Sky Sports saying no interest.

On the other side

- NSC tweeting a bid has been made
- NSC poster knows RM relatives who think discussions have taken place.

No idea what to believe now - except if he comes here I suspect Dunk is off, as RM is not coming to be 3rd/4th pick.

This guy gets more right than wrong.

[tweet]754058775145934849[/tweet]

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I've no idea how the club would spin selling Dunk to Newcastle as a good deal.

It would have to be a frighteningly high fee, over 15 million I'd suggest.

I'm not even sure that would appease me (and i'm doubting it would be that high).

If the Argus and other sources are to believed we are already on the hunt to break the bank for a striker, yet we haven't conjured anybody up and we're not far from kicking off.

What good will the extra funds be in the short term? We'd either end up panic buying due to fan unrest or more in line with the club's history, we'd just sit on it.

To sell to a promotion rival, what message would that send to the fans or more importantly, the other players who are also being sought after by clubs willing to pay them significantly more money?

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Yes. except who replaces Greer (in this scenario) ? Dallison ? Another purchase ? What about the right back cover that potentially he offers.

Do you think we are going to pay upwards of 2 million pounds for a 3rd/4th choice centre half and 2nd/3rd choice right back(having made Bruno captain I'm presuming that that's a fairly solid indicator that hell be starting the season as 1st choice)? I'd be perfectly happy if we were able to afford such a move as like you say it would cover two positions. It seems unlikely though...unless Hughton isn't keeping most of his powder dry for that striker we all want.

It seems far more logical to me that if we are willing to spend that much money on a position where we already have three decent options that he'd be seen as a first choice player(why spend one of the highest transfer fees in the clubs history on a position where we're already pretty strong and there are other areas that need strengthening?).

If that is the case whose place would he take? Again, it seems logical that if we have a coveted and saleable asset in that position(one that previously handed in a transfer request) then you sell him for more than you pay for his replacement. In this scenario Greer would be replaced by one of the U-21's or someone on a free/low transfer fee.

I have no idea if this rumour has any truth to it and if it does I equally have no idea as to the club's thinking. However, the scenario I've just presented doesn't seem too far fetched does it? It's reasonable enough to be slightly worried that if it is true that it means the sale of Dunk. Hopefully it doesn't and my footballing version of maths is as poor as my real life mathematical ability.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
We could have no confidence in the Hun (be it for injury or ability reasons) and be determined to have 3 players for the 2 positions who are almost seen as equals. Don't forget Dunk likes a red card and there's now an injury for Goldson. RM as an experienced partner in the mix makes sense to me. We've gone into seasons before with Calde/Rosenior type as a 4th choice too.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Newcastle 2009/10
Centre Backs, apps.

DF England Steven Taylor 21
DF England Mike Williamson 16
DF Argentina Fabricio Coloccini 37
DF England Fitz Hall 7
DF Hungary Tamás Kádár 6 (7)
DF Georgia (country) Zurab Khizanishvili 6 (1)

Never have enough CBs

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Do you think we are going to pay upwards of 2 million pounds for a 3rd/4th choice centre half and 2nd/3rd choice right back(having made Bruno captain I'm presuming that that's a fairly solid indicator that hell be starting the season as 1st choice)? I'd be perfectly happy if we were able to afford such a move as like you say it would cover two positions. It seems unlikely though...unless Hughton isn't keeping most of his powder dry for that striker we all want.

Agreed. Dunk might leave. Club are always vulnerable to offers from Prem League teams.
That said we regularly now pay large fees for players to join the squad.
We paid £1.5m for Uwe who ended up being 3/4th choice last season after Dunk returned to the side.
No guarantee he was ever going to be first choice. And presumably club knew at time they were going to go the extra mile to keep Dunk, which in the end they did, offering him a wage busting 5 year contract.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
.....But Dunk is left sided.......Martin is right ........

as is Goldson. Work in fact that Hughton likes a left footer on the left and it's only a short countdown until a rumour of a new player leaving starts.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Argus today said 'Club insiders have dismissed reports linking Brighton-born former Albion schoolboy reject Russell Martin with a return from Norwich.'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports