Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Rubgy, Golf, Cricket, Horse Racing – ALL GOING AHEAD

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
Yeah, I do wonder if there's an element of "we don't want to run the risk of coked up, pissed up hoolies making a nuisance of themselves at this time" to this decision.

In 12 years of involvement in Mid Sussex Youth Football I have never seen any coked up or pissed up hoolies playing at that level yet they aren't even allowed to train at under 8 let alone play .

Last edited:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
As a far more concise tweet has put it:

They've gone and cancelled the football.

With one day's notice.

Masses of workers losing out on wages.

Masses of businesses losing out on income.

Masses of fans losing out on money spent on travel and accommodation.

During an unprecedented cost of living crisis.

Revolting.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
But that's not true. Cricket just stopped play for today as has the golf nothing has been cancelled. Rugby just lost 2 fixtures today, that's it. Football over the weekend has lost EVERYTHING from kids upward. How on earth can you say football hasn't been singled out?

Play was/has been cancelled as a mark of respect in other sports!

Fine to question why kids matches have been cancelled ... but you started this thread off by suggesting that nothing had happened to rugby, golf, cricket and horse racing ... which is blatantly not the case. Play has been lost and people will have spent money on tickets and accommodation/travel etc ...

It's also a little odd that so many on here were calling for the Palace game to be cancelled because of the train strike. I didn't want it cancelled ... I'd have got to the game somehow.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

With one day's notice.

Revolting.

Exactly.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
But on the subject, its 100 percent down to the FA, almost like they want a week off from the awful VAR

Of course it is.

Someone has clearly overstepped the mark in cancelling grassroots football. Even cancelling professional sports is questionable.

I suspect the governing bodies have all had to try and judge the mood on the fly and come to different conclusions.
There's nothing sinister going on.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
What gives?

Is this an absolute piss take or in reality is representative of the deep cultural divides that still permeate our society and culture.

Kids can't play their local football matches on Saturday or Sunday, but some rich millionaires can knock some golf balls about, or watch their prize horses race?

What a demonstration of the establishment's power and ability to discriminate. The privately educated lads can chuck an egg ball about or smack a leather ball with a bat, but the ordinary folk of this land can't kick a football.

Respect. Don't make me laugh.

The establishment didn't demonstrate its power - the establishment quite clearly said that organisations could make their own decisions as to what to do (or not do), That's actually rather democratic.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The establishment didn't demonstrate its power - the establishment quite clearly said that organisations could make their own decisions as to what to do (or not do), That's actually rather democratic.

Who sits within most of these associations and governance?

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I've just received an email from The FA, confirming that all English football fixtures have been cancelled for the period 9-11 September, however it clearly states in the FAQs that this only covers fixtures, and all other footballing activities can continue. It's the Mid Sussex FA who have decided to cancel training.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Rightly or wrongly, a lot of kids abiding memory of the Queen will be "that woman who got my football cancelled", and that's hardly going to make the Royal Family attractive to the young.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

With one day's notice.

Revolting.

Amen. The economy can do with another kick in the balls. Those small, independent traders are just gagging for it.

And it's not just sport. Eastleigh Pride which I was going to be taking my grandson to tomorrow has just cancelled because of HM's death.

KC3 really should be telling the nation to get a grip and carry on.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Rightly or wrongly, a lot of kids abiding memory of the Queen will be "that woman who got my football cancelled", and that's hardly going to make the Royal Family attractive to the young.

With respect, it wasn't the Royal Family who got it cancelled. If kids see it that way then it's the parents fault.

I personally don't think there was any need for it. And clearly the rugby and cricket fraternity didn't. The football authorities have decided otherwise, and it is them, not class or any other argument, that have brought this about.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
What are the comparative numbers of people going to football matches, compared with the other events?

I think more context on the reasoning behind postponing the matches but not postponing other events is called for here, we need to understand the logic behind the decision because maybe it's not something we're talking about. Maybe it's to do with travel and the desire to limit the numbers, for whatever reason? I assume there are more football matches around the UK than the other events which are continuing and that is a relevant point I think. You couldn't postpone the Football League, but allow the Premier League to continue - for example.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
With respect, it wasn't the Royal Family who got it cancelled. If kids see it that way then it's the parents fault.

I personally don't think there was any need for it. And clearly the rugby and cricket fraternity didn't. The football authorities have decided otherwise, and it is them, not class or any other argument, that have brought this about.

Prince William is the FA President.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here