Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Rubgy, Golf, Cricket, Horse Racing – ALL GOING AHEAD

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What gives?

Is this an absolute piss take or in reality is representative of the deep cultural divides that still permeate our society and culture.

Kids can't play their local football matches on Saturday or Sunday, but some rich millionaires can knock some golf balls about, or watch their prize horses race?

What a demonstration of the establishment's power and ability to discriminate. The privately educated lads can chuck an egg ball about or smack a leather ball with a bat, but the ordinary folk of this land can't kick a football.

Respect. Don't make me laugh.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Yes. I'm glad our game is off given the timing but it makes a lot more sense to have all these things going ahead and celebrating the Queen's life with a big old clap and sing along rather than acting like we shouldn't even leave the house.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
What gives?

Is this an absolute piss take or in reality is representative of the deep cultural divides that still permeate our society and culture.

Kids can't play their local football matches on Saturday or Sunday, but some rich millionaires can knock some golf balls about, or watch their prize horses race?

What a demonstration of the establishment's power and ability to discriminate. The privately educated lads can chuck an egg ball about or smack a leather ball with a bat, but the ordinary folk of this land can't kick a football.

Yeah, I do wonder if there's an element of "we don't want to run the risk of coked up, pissed up hoolies making a nuisance of themselves at this time" to this decision.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Yeah, I do wonder if there's an element of "we don't want to run the risk of coked up, pissed up hoolies making a nuisance of themselves at this time" to this decision.

Quite. There is also a lot of policing requirements for football and they are likely to be fairly busy elsewhere…

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Quite. There is also a lot of policing requirements for football and they are likely to be fairly busy elsewhere…

There isn't any policing required for football outside the football league. Besides, where else are they going to be busy this weekend?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I was a bit surprised at football being cancelled - I can't imagine the TV companies are happy given many of their teams will already be travelling to stadia.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What gives?

It's even worse than this. We don't even know WHEN the Queen died or WHAT she died from.

Commentators have defended the lack of information on the basis that this was a private, family matter, yet now she'd dead it's no longer a private, family matter and ordinary people have to put their lives on hold while they are forced to grieve.

It's bollocks.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
There isn't any policing required for football outside the football league. Besides, where else are they going to be busy this weekend?

Fair point. It’s all over the top but particularly grassroots and non-league football. I expect a chunk of police will be drafted up to London and any other place where substantial events are going on.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
What gives?

There was no edict on this as far as I can tell. The decision was made by the various associations.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
People seem to be ignoring the fact that horse racing was halted yesterday and won't start again until Sunday. Play at the England v South Africa test match was cancelled today. Play at golf's PGA Championship was halted yesterday and won't restart until tomorrow. Today's rugby matches also cancelled.

So the thread title, 'Rubgy, Golf, Cricket, Horse Racing – ALL GOING AHEAD' isn't strictly true!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
People seem to be ignoring the fact that horse racing was halted yesterday and won't start again until Sunday. Play at the England v South Africa test match was cancelled today. Play at golf's PGA Championship was halted yesterday and won't restart until tomorrow. Today's rugby matches also cancelled.

So the thread title, 'Rubgy, Golf, Cricket, Horse Racing – ALL GOING AHEAD' isn't strictly true!

Football has been cancelled Saturday and Sunday. Rugby, golf, cricket, horse racking all going ahead Saturday and Sunday. What isn't strictly true?

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Football has been cancelled Saturday and Sunday. Rugby, golf, cricket, horse racking all going ahead Saturday and Sunday. What isn't strictly true?

Your comments, "representative of the deep cultural divides that still permeate our society and culture" and "The privately educated lads can chuck an egg ball about or smack a leather ball with a bat, but the ordinary folk of this land can't kick a football" suggests that rugby, golf, horse racing and rugby have been unaffected and that it's only the working class football fans that have had their sport taken away.

All of these sports have had events cancelled as a result of the death of Her Majesty the Queen.

Football hasn't been singled out!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Your comments, "representative of the deep cultural divides that still permeate our society and culture" and "The privately educated lads can chuck an egg ball about or smack a leather ball with a bat, but the ordinary folk of this land can't kick a football" suggests that rugby, golf, horse racing and rugby have been unaffected and that it's only the working class football fans that have had their sport taken away.

All of these sports have had events cancelled as a result of the death of Her Majesty the Queen.

Football hasn't been singled out!

But that's not true. Cricket just stopped play for today as has the golf nothing has been cancelled. Rugby just lost 2 fixtures today, that's it. Football over the weekend has lost EVERYTHING from kids upward. How on earth can you say football hasn't been singled out?

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
It's even worse than this. We don't even know WHEN the Queen died or WHAT she died from.

Commentators have defended the lack of information on the basis that this was a private, family matter, yet now she'd dead it's no longer a private, family matter and ordinary people have to put their lives on hold while they are forced to grieve.

It's bollocks.
She died at 13:10 (according to my reliable sauce). I can only imagine she died from complications of being immensely old.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
But that's not true. Cricket just stopped play for today as has the golf nothing has been cancelled. Rugby just lost 2 fixtures today, that's it. Football over the weekend has lost EVERYTHING from kids upward. How on earth can you say football hasn't been singled out?

Perhaps someone should ask the FA/PL as to their reasoning?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
What gives?

A little OTT methinks :)

I am sure that there are quite a few posters on here who play cricket and went to state schools as did most rugby players.
Golf is also quite expensive but not limited to millionaires.
Don't millions on "working class" folk like a bet on the horses?

I think you are quite right to protest about football being cancelled and I agree with you on that. but please don't make it a class thing.
Republic next?

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
But that's not true. Cricket just stopped play for today as has the golf nothing has been cancelled. Rugby just lost 2 fixtures today, that's it.

No it's not. There's no senior rugby being played in Wales but kids games can go ahead.

It does seem to be working class sports being singled out: football and Welsh rugby are off but English rugby can go ahead

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

It's bollocks.

Monkeypox is my guess.

But on the subject, its 100 percent down to the FA, almost like they want a week off from the awful VAR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here