Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Rubgy, Golf, Cricket, Horse Racing – ALL GOING AHEAD

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Rightly or wrongly, a lot of kids abiding memory of the Queen will be "that woman who got my football cancelled", and that's hardly going to make the Royal Family attractive to the young.
Yeh, cancelling all football was OTT. Maybe just professional and semi-pro would have done the trick.

Rightly or wrongly my abiding memory of King George VI's death was that Listen with Mother was cancelled. Just as big a deal for me back then, but it hasn't affected my life!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Play was/has been cancelled as a mark of respect in other sports!

Fine to question why kids matches have been cancelled ... but you started this thread off by suggesting that nothing had happened to rugby, golf, cricket and horse racing ... which is blatantly not the case. Play has been lost and people will have spent money on tickets and accommodation/travel etc ...

It's also a little odd that so many on here were calling for the Palace game to be cancelled because of the train strike. I didn't want it cancelled ... I'd have got to the game somehow.

If you add up the attendance of all the other sports together cancelled you mention, I doubt it would equate to the figures just at the Liverpool and Man City games combined. Far more people will be out of pocket not be able to go to football than the few going to the other events.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
With pressing and distrssing family matters to deal with, I very much doubt he had any personal invilvement in the decision made by the FA.

Look, I'm not going down a conspiratorial route, but the likes of Prince William have a staff, secretaries, under secretaries, advisors, lawyers etc. It's not a great leap to imagine a 'we think football should be postponed' note fell on Mark Bullingham's desk, that didn't fall on other sporting associations or governance desks. Or if they did they just ignored them and football didn't.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
With pressing and distrssing family matters to deal with, I very much doubt he had any personal invilvement in the decision made by the FA.

Was it even a decision by the FA ... not the PL and Football League?

But yeah ... obviously Prince William had a big say in the decision!

EDIT: Just seen this on bbc.co.uk

The Football Association said fixtures between 9 and 11 September are postponed, adding that as a "long-standing patron" of the FA the Queen "has left a lasting and indelible legacy on our national game".

The Premier League took the decision to honour the Queen's "extraordinary life and contribution to the nation" and said updates on future fixtures during the period of mourning "will be provided in due course".

Last edited:

JackB247

Sep 25, 2013
Burgess Hill
There was no edict on this as far as I can tell. The decision was made by the various associations.

As someone who played a small role in a sports governing body decision making process on fixtures this weekend, I can assure you that 'yeah let's do this to stiff the working class' would not have been at the forefront of the FA/PL/EFL's decision making this morning.

It's important reputationally in these situations to not look like an outlier, and weirdly in taking what probably was the safe option this morning, that's what Football has ended up being. But there are of course other factors - eg. policing, the Royal involvement in the FA - that I'm sure would have played a part.

Bit pissed to have lost my 11-a-side match tomorrow mind!

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
All I can think of is my relief that we don’t have to play this week, with the club in this position. I see no reason to stop non league and junior games though.
Just to clarify and repeat that racing remains halted Saturday but returns Sunday, including the St Ledger

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's important reputationally in these situations to not look like an outlier, and weirdly in taking what probably was the safe option this morning, that's what Football has ended up being. But there are of course other factors - eg. policing, the Royal involvement in the FA - that I'm sure would have played a part.

But that's at the very heart of it, the Football Association overthinking how it looks and acts and worried about the impression that football just carried on, whereas other governing bodies took a pragmatic approach 'we'll cancel Friday, but lets get it all back on on Saturday / Sunday'. I agree, the traditional Royal head of the FA would have played a part. Not sure about the policing, but even so that only impacts the professional game. Not letting kids go and play football on Sunday - the first day of their new season for many of them, what on earth has made them do that? Surely kids all round the centre circle and a minutes silence across thousands of youth games across the country would be far more respectful than them all kicking around at home Sunday morning.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
All I can think of is my relief that we don’t have to play this week, with the club in this position. I see no reason to stop non league and junior games though.
Just to clarify and repeat that racing remains halted Saturday but returns Sunday, including the St Ledger

A big part of me would have loved to see how the squad would have responded to Potter's treachery. That, and the guarantee we would have gone top of the Prem with a win, means I would have preferred the game to go ahead than not.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
What gives?

Is this an absolute piss take or in reality is representative of the deep cultural divides that still permeate our society and culture.

Kids can't play their local football matches on Saturday or Sunday, but some rich millionaires can knock some golf balls about, or watch their prize horses race?

What a demonstration of the establishment's power and ability to discriminate. The privately educated lads can chuck an egg ball about or smack a leather ball with a bat, but the ordinary folk of this land can't kick a football.

Respect. Don't make me laugh.

It’s certainly weird. I’m thinking there might be a large element of football cosying up to the establishment because it wants something. Shit games like rugby and golf ARE the establishment so no need. I’m not watching the news for the next fortnight so I hope nothing important happens…

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here