Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Royal British Legion Festival Of Remembrance

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
On that theme, brilliant from Alexandra Burke and accompanying players - beautifully done….:bowdown:

She was quite awesome in the SAS celebrity thing as well. Think she gets it.
I wasn't impressed at all. By putting in all those extraneous twiddly bits, she seemed to be trying to make it more about herself than about the hymn. (And she got out of time with the band on one line.)

I agree with the earlier post that it was better when it was a military memorial rather than a pop concert. (I miss the sailors dressing the mast, too, but they stopped doing that years ago.)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I wasn't impressed at all. By putting in all those extraneous twiddly bits, she seemed to be trying to make it more about herself than about the hymn. (And she got out of time with the band on one line.)

I agree with the earlier post that it was better when it was a military memorial rather than a pop concert. (I miss the sailors dressing the mast, too, but they stopped doing that years ago.)

Fair enough. Compared with the traditionally screechy versions we get at sports events, I thought she was much, much better though

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Just need to bring back The Royal Tournament now.

My initial reaction would to be say ‘yes’ - my parents, both ex- forces, used to take me to the Royal Tournament at Earls Court every year when I was a kid and it was a fantastic and inspiring occasion.

However, you just know that if they brought it back they would feel compelled to ‘re-imagine’ it for the twenty first century and it would be awful. It would end up like a cross between Countryfile and Blue Peter.

Sadly, probably best to leave it as we remember it.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
My initial reaction would to be say ‘yes’ - my parents, both ex- forces, used to take me to the Royal Tournament at Earls Court every year when I was a kid and it was a fantastic and inspiring occasion.

However, you just know that if they brought it back they would feel compelled to ‘re-imagine’ it for the twenty first century and it would be awful. It would end up like a cross between Countryfile and Blue Peter.

Sadly your probably right.

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

…..plus the Health and Safety lot would ruin it. Seem to recall injuries were quite normal. Great spectacle though

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
I know it's a sombre occasion but thought that all the Royals with the exception of William looked particularly down, drawn, and in very deep thought this morning. Even Camilla seemed to have a catch in her throat when singing the last line of the National Anthem.
I hope HM The Queen recovers soon.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I know it's a sombre occasion but thought that all the Royals with the exception of William looked particularly down, drawn, and in very deep thought this morning. Even Camilla seemed to have a catch in her throat when singing the last line of the National Anthem.

Good spot. Charles looked close to tears in front of the cenotaph. Could be a couple of days off work coming up.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

Twitter has London Bridge trending with people thinking the same. If and when it does happen, why don't they just say? Why the long drawn out procedure where the public are last to know?

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11

They did bring back a private version a few years ago, called the British Military Tournament, organised by the Army Benevolent Fund (ABF). My folks and I went for a few years, and took some Albion friends one year (one of whom is ex-RN). The best one was in 2010, where they reenacted an ambush on a Taliban post, using a garden shed, which they actually blew up in the arena. This was so realistic it was frightening. They also did a scene from War Horse, and the Joey model was brilliantly authentic too. However, I felt in later years that they tried too hard to be clever, and eventually they couldn't get the necessary sponsorship (the MoD didn't give it any funding), and Earls Court was closing to be redeveloped into housing, so it packed up.

The feature that really melted me today was one on a young soldier from Montserrat who was killed in action (in Afghanistan, I think). His family had moved over here following the volcanic eruption, and he was the main male figure in his family. It ripped them apart, and his mother died recently, having never really recovered from losing her son, leaving a younger sister and brother behind. I know most military loss stories are deeply moving, but this one particularly got to me.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Twitter has London Bridge trending with people thinking the same. If and when it does happen, why don't they just say? Why the long drawn out procedure where the public are last to know?

dont know why buy in to the twitter "we're not being told something" rumour mill? there is zero reason to withhold such news, when it happens they'll say so.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
dont know why buy in to the twitter "we're not being told something" rumour mill? there is zero reason to withhold such news, when it happens they'll say so.

I'm not "buying in" to anything - hence I said if and when she dies. I am querying Operation London Bridge and why it has to work its way through government channels with x telling y before they tell her actual subjects.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_London_Bridge

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Good spot. Charles looked close to tears in front of the cenotaph. Could be a couple of days off work coming up.

He did and they all appeared somewhat distracted

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Mrs KZN and I both noticed that the national anthem seemed to be belted out with much more gusto than normal at the Cenotaph. Sounded like a rugby crowd. Hopefully Mrs Queen really has just got a bad back.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I’m not sure Britain will ever be the same when she goes.
Considering this was the only event she really wanted to do this year, a small back sprain would seem an unlikely cause.

BrianB

Sleepy Mid Sussex
Nov 14, 2020

Could be that ' the powers that be ' want to bury a particularly controversial alteration to the Northern Ireland Agreement ?.
I guess we'll just have to wait and see .

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
…..plus the Health and Safety lot would ruin it. Seem to recall injuries were quite normal. Great spectacle though
I used to watch the Field Gun Crew training at Whale Island when I based there back in the day.
Nothing out of the ordinary to see a broken arm or leg every day or two, plus a dislocation of a finger or fingers were common practice back then.

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here