Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Royal British Legion Festival Of Remembrance

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
My old man has been in a Royal British Legion care home for 2 years now and it is a fantastic home.
I always buy a poppy but since I have experienced this home my contribution has increased somewhat.
I go out and find an old veteran wearing all his medals who is selling poppies because I like to thank him or her and see his or her face as I put my contribution in the tin.
Remembrance Sunday is always a big event in Plymouth being a military and very patriotic city, all the forces turn out and there are still thousands of veterans living here from WW2 to Afghanistan.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Happy to do Poppy Duty, even in villages like Storrington we still have lots of veterans for the Sunday Service,

Have noticed we now have a few youngsters with medals attending, Iraq and Afghanistan I presume.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
So, here we are in 2021.

Always a 'must watch' event for me - not least because it's sense of dignity, solemnity yet continuity strikes the perfect tone for remembrance, gratitude and pride in the professionalism and sacrifice of our armed forces and their families.

So I turn on tonight and some idiot is belting out a Take That number to open the event? Nothing wrong with Take That in the right circumstances, but I hate the way in recent years producers of this event feel it needs to be an 'entertainment' event, as well as an act of national remembrance for our fallen. It was just perfect exactly how it was.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My dear old grandad bore the RBL Standard at the Festival a couple of times (did 40 years of standard-bearing whilst nan was selling poppies). Always said it was a sod of a day….very, very long and hard work, but he wouldn’t have missed it for the world. I’ve got all of his WWII memorabilia including his POW diary he kept. Deeply miss him, the humblest, gentlest bloke I’ve ever known.

31E9716D-2D6E-447F-B4E2-AB1CC3EDF212.jpeg

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Gregory porter just massacred He Ain’t Heavy!

Being a choir singer we were always told if the soloist was struggling and there was our parts being sung, to belt it out to help them out, or in the worst case, drown then out….which is what happened!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Being a choir singer we were always told if the soloist was struggling and there was our parts being sung, to belt it out to help them out, or in the worst case, drown then out….which is what happened!

Dreadful dirge. Shouldn't be within a thousand miles of such a prestigious and moving event. Murdering it? - it's dead whenever/however it's sung!

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon

That was purely embarrassing.
Glad to see The Booties doing there stuff and at the top of their game as always

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
My great grandfather was a career soldier and caught a lung disease in the Far East serving before 1914. He died when he re-enlisted and caught something else that got him and he is buried in Doncaster.

770105BE-906D-4519-B9A7-AFCD4B6D44CA.jpeg

This is his brother Arnold who is a tragic story. He was send out as replacements for casualties at the first battle of the Somme. He was transferred to the MGC ( machine gun corps) so must have seen some really horrible things! He died from injuries in 1917. A very young man!

I am finding out about the military side of my family fascinating.

It’s great being able to celebrate and remember through this annual “ show”

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
So, here we are in 2021.

Always a 'must watch' event for me - not least because it's sense of dignity, solemnity yet continuity strikes the perfect tone for remembrance, gratitude and pride in the professionalism and sacrifice of our armed forces and their families.

So I turn on tonight and some idiot is belting out a Take That number to open the event? Nothing wrong with Take That in the right circumstances, but I hate the way in recent years producers of this event feel it needs to be an 'entertainment' event, as well as an act of national remembrance for our fallen. It was just perfect exactly how it was.

I can understand your comments on the entertainment factor.
But I guess bringing 'celebrities' into this prestigious event is an aim to educate people, young and old on why this event is held.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I can understand your comments on the entertainment factor.
But I guess bringing 'celebrities' into this prestigious event is an aim to educate people, young and old on why this event is held.

Quite right that it should change and evolve over the years. The trick is not to do it too fast - but maybe they're going just a tad too fast? ........... opinions, eh?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Quite right that it should change and evolve over the years. The trick is not to do it too fast - but maybe they're going just a tad too fast? ........... opinions, eh?

Military and celebrity already has already been around.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
On that theme, brilliant from Alexandra Burke and accompanying players - beautifully done….:bowdown:

She was quite awesome in the SAS celebrity thing as well. Think she gets it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here