Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Royal British Legion Festival Of Remembrance

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I’m not sure Britain will ever be the same when she goes.
Considering this was the only event she really wanted to do this year, a small back sprain would seem an unlikely cause.

I think you are right, like her or not she is like a great big Mum who holds total respect.
Even republicans respect her service and dedication.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
My initial reaction would to be say ‘yes’ - my parents, both ex- forces, used to take me to the Royal Tournament at Earls Court every year when I was a kid and it was a fantastic and inspiring occasion.

However, you just know that if they brought it back they would feel compelled to ‘re-imagine’ it for the twenty first century and it would be awful. It would end up like a cross between Countryfile and Blue Peter.

Sadly, probably best to leave it as we remember it.

Quite. I used to go every year too. Made my hairs stand on end at some point.
Sadly, the only real, untouched, public military display we have these days is the Edinburgh Tattoo. Unless they’ve “jazzed” that up too.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Tomorrow will be the first time in a number of years I will have missed Remberance Sunday in the 'Memorial' in Swindon, normally they have not clashed with football.

After 30 years Royal Air Force its always a good time to meet people that you have not seen for a while.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
As poignant as ever.

Lest we forget.
And sadly there will be those out there proclaiming, 'It is all about glorifying the British Empire, glorifying war ("I won't be a fascist red-poppy wearer"), all about denying slavery, misogyny, racism and whatever ................. innit.'

Lest they forget, too - lest they forget, those who grow old, that one day they called it all wrong.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I have to say that, as well sung as it was, Leonard Cohen's 'Hallelujah' struck me as a slightly odd song choice.

A minor quibble though, the military elements were, as ever, flawless.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here