Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roy Chuter

Suggestion for a tribute -

Have Dark Star and/or Harvey's brew a special ale in Roy Chuter's memory and have it available at Dick's Bar/Evening Star etc...?

And maybe a place in the stadium for his corrected letter, blown up and framed on a wall somewhere.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Dreadful, dreadful news.

I couldn't claim to be on more than nodding terms with Roy but he was a true stalwart, always 'there' (pub, train, terrace) at away games since the '70s, always active as one of the good guys in the war years.

Stand or fall Roy, we wunt be druv.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
There will of course be a special beer and a tribute gig at some point and other suggestions are welcome. I have asked PB for a minutes applause on Tuesday and for the opportunity to take the mic (for one time only, don't worry) :) to make a special tribute. So many of us knew and cared about Roy and it is so tragic that he simply wouldn't listen to any of his good friends who tried so hard to help him. My lovely stepdaughter Rose gets married to Marcus today (two Albion STHs) so that is where my person and my thoughts will be today, of course, but rest assured, Roy will be remembered.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Terribly sad news. I didn't know him but he sounded like the kind of guy that makes you feel proud to be Albion. RIP Roy.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Very sad, RIP Roy.

For those who knew him well.....

"We can ask and ask but we can't have again what once seemed ours forever....the way things looked....a remembered voice.... a loved face. They've gone and you can only wait for the pain to pass" (J.L.Carr - A Month in the Country)

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
A lovely thread. Roy, I salute you. And NSC, you are at your best at moments like this.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Terribly sad news. I met Roy a few times on away trips and he was always a pleasure to chat to. I remember offering him a can of Fosters once on a train back from some northern hell-hole. You can imagine the look that he gave me!

I've had so many good times supporting Brighton and passing on that love for the club with my own children. None of that would have been possible without people like Roy who fought so hard to save our club.

Thats a great story regarding offering him that can of Fosters. A real Ale man. I found this in The Argus archive last night featuring Roy:

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1710030.Beer_to_ale_new_Falmer_stadium/

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
This is the strange "connection" fellow Albion lifers feel.

I never shared a beer with Roy, may or may not have had a couple of conversations with him at some hovel of an away trip, and certainly wouldn't be able to call him a personal friend. BUT ...

... he's one of those faces, one of those fans, that you've just seen around the place, going such a long way back, through good times and bad. I've read his numerous articles down the years, I've heard him interviewed, and know plenty about all he did to get the club to where we are now. All of that adds up to a feeling that I have lost a good friend.

There's something just in the look we all share with familiar faces that says "we've both been through a lot at the Albion." Words aren't always necessary.

RIP Roy. We all owe you a lot.

Last edited:

wendy's tackle

NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2004
East Dean, Eastbourne
Very sad news indeed. The club has lost one of its heroes and, by all accounts, an extremely lovely guy. Very appropriate that the club and Attila will be making a suitable tribute on Tuesday and I hope the place is packed out for it.

Like many on here, I particularly remember that legendary response to Eversheds and loved to imagine the fallout within the firm when seeing its reputation so publicly trashed. I hadn't known his involvement in creating the memorial garden, which was always a wonderful idea, but it's good to know there will always be a bit of his spirit there.

Mr Apples

Jack Scrumpy
Aug 9, 2007
In The Orchard
This is such a shock.

I can't believe I won't be seeing him in the Star before a match again.

Roy was one of the good guys and I for one will miss him terribly.

Stainsey

Mar 25, 2009
Shocked to hear this sad news. One of the nicest and agreeable blokes you could ever meet - always happy to either pass the time with you, or go into a deep passionate conversation about our beloved club. Although many of us did what was asked of us in saving the club, he was instrumental and one of the leaders. Without him and others, I for one would now have many empty Saturdays. RIP Roy

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
This is the strange "connection" fellow Albion lifers feel.

I never shared a beer with Roy, may or may not have had a couple of conversations with him at some hovel of an away trip, and certainly wouldn't be able to call him a personal friend. BUT ...

... he's one of those faces, one of those fans, that you've just seen around the place, going such a long way back, through good times and bad. I've read his numerous articles down the years, I've heard him interviewed, and know plenty about all he did to get the club to where we are now. All of that adds up to a feeling that I have lost a good friend.

There's something just in the look we all share with familiar faces that says "we've both been through a lot at the Albion." Words aren't always necessary.

RIP Roy. We all owe you a lot.

Very well put. I didn't know him personally, but we all have a "shared history" via that "connection".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here