Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roy Chuter

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I always felt that the 'legends wall' of banners, should include one fan, to represent the part the fan base played in the dark days. Who better than Roy Chuter?

Other people are much better placed than I am to make such calls. I think the stands will naturally take on names over the years. I think that Roy would be a shout for any honour going, there are plenty of candidates of course, but I think he deserves a proper honouring for what he did when it mattered.

I wouldn't want to detract from the countless others who worked tirelessly for the cause though. I think there are fans who deserve some serious recognition. Costa, Baine, Samrah being the obvious 3, but they will be the first to admit there was a massive supporting cast who helped them figurehead it.

I was a child when the events were unfolding, I might be talking out of place. But I feel strongly that there are people from that era whose contribution needs to be formally applauded and recognised in some form.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Bloody hell. I've known Roy for over 30 years and can't believe this. RIP mate.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
It's been a difficult summer at the club, but all of it pales into insignificance at this news. Those of us at the club who knew Roy were shocked and saddened by the news, and today was a very sombre day at the Amex... For those who were not lucky enough to meet or know Roy, he was an Albion fan for all of his 50 years, and his family were and still are longtime shareholders in the club. I first came across Roy, reading his USM column in Gulls Eye in the 1990s. He was also behind the fanzine Pretty in Pink - named after our pink away shirt of that era! I really got to know him during what he used to always call the Gory Years - and I remember him being interviewed in Mellor when we marched on Archer's house. His iconic letter to Eversheds, mentioned elsewhere on this thread, still makes me smile - even as I write this with the heaviest of hearts. He wrote for Scars & Stripes and later edited the club programme. His Albion knowledge was up there with the best of them, and he taught me an enormous amount about writing and journalism (he was a first-class english grad from Manchester Uni). I was lucky enough to share a flat with Roy for a year, and at the same time we both worked on the Albion programme. Great days, and as someone who didn't live through the late 1970 and first division days, Roy brought these to life over many a late night beer, sometimes in the company of Dick Knight, if we were "working" on programme business. Tales of coach trips to Newcastle, the FA Cup run, he was able to bring to life those halcyon days in the club's history. Roy also shared some brilliant stories, once telling me his mum and dad were going to call him Paul, until someone pointed out he would have been known as Mr P Chuter (peashooter)! He left the programme to run the Duke of Wellington, fulfilling another ambition of being a publican. As Albion fans we have many reasons to be grateful to Roy, but people may not know he was a major campaigner for the memorial garden. The reason being that his sister Karen sadly collapsed and died before the stadium was built. And it was Roy (along with Attila) who also helped convince the club that real ale could work at the Amex. We will be paying tribute to a fine Albion fan in the Derby programme, and I hope many will raise a glass in honour of Roy ahead of the match. RIP Roy, you will be sadly missed.

A lovely, fitting tribute.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
RIP one of us.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I lost a friend to suicide and my thoughts go out to Mr Chuter, whose pain is over, and to his family and many friends, the train driver and emergency services, who I hope can come to terms with it. I didn't know the gentleman but was reminded of his deserved place in Albion folklore when reading his letter quoted on this thread, legendary. I am particularly saddened that someone who is obviously so highly thought of and loved by many could not carry on. Friendship is a wonderful thing, to be truly cherished. RIP.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Just got back from a long and beer fuelled evening in the Evening Star in Roy's memory. One of my best friends, and truly a law unto himself. A clever, supremely friendly, stubborn *******. Beset by big health problems in latter years he just carried on, living life as he wanted to, refusing all help and advice - and when it all became too much he took the final step on his own terms as well, not giving any of his countless friends a chance to help him. An absolute legend in the fight to save our club, a lovely, clever, infuriatingly stubborn friend whom I have known for two thirds of my life. Roy, you stupid, I-know-best *******, we love you .......

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Never had the privilege to meet Roy but from what I'm reading he sounded like a true Albion legend and definitely deserves some recognition by the club and fans.. Did he have a favorite number that could be used during the game to start a minute applause on?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Just checked in before bedtime to see this awful news.

I've know roy since those late 70's days but moreso when the 'troubles' were on and in the latter years it was just a pleasure to see him out with his beloved dog, Kitty and he's just pull up a stool in the Star and chat away to anyone. An interest and authority on lots of things but never to the point of sounding superior.

Sadly there are too many R.I.P's on here, all good souls, but Roy I was on more than nodding terms with and I've certainly shed a tear. We were only talking about him at the Star the other Friday and how we'd not seen him recently but a couple of mates have told me they were drinking with him on Saturday.

rest in peace, mate.

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
Such sad news. as so many have said Roy represented so many things that were good about life, and the Albion in particular. We all owe a debt to him for his endaevours during the troubles, that was when I first got to know him. Thinking back to those days it certainly puts into perspective some of the complaints of following the Albion today. I truly hope you have found peace Roy.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Terribly sad news. I met Roy a few times on away trips and he was always a pleasure to chat to. I remember offering him a can of Fosters once on a train back from some northern hell-hole. You can imagine the look that he gave me!

I've had so many good times supporting Brighton and passing on that love for the club with my own children. None of that would have been possible without people like Roy who fought so hard to save our club.

gollum

Dec 29, 2004
Terrible news. We are away on holiday in boston, mass and heard via a text from a close friend. Then spent the next few hours hoping this was some awful mistake. Still cannot believe he is gone in such tragic circumstances.
Have great memories of Roy - he persuaded me to go to my first away game in 1978 and spent many good times going to away games on the seagull special together. Always had time for you over a pint at dick's bar or the wellie or the evening star. Lost a good friend today - wish we could have done something for you mate. Had a drink for you tonight. Rest in peace Roy...

PWA

European Tour 2023/24
Jul 23, 2011
West Sussex
I lost a friend to suicide and my thoughts go out to Mr Chuter, whose pain is over, and to his family and many friends, the train driver and emergency services, who I hope can come to terms with it. I didn't know the gentleman but was reminded of his deserved place in Albion folklore when reading his letter quoted on this thread, legendary. I am particularly saddened that someone who is obviously so highly thought of and loved by many could not carry on. Friendship is a wonderful thing, to be truly cherished. RIP.

Correct, a true gent.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
I am just posting now after reading this thread late last night and it is indeed sad news...I met Roy a couple of times, predicatbly in the Evening Star and he was good company.

Related to the East Worthing incident this morning then I guess?

Very sad. RIP Roy

The above also sort of brings it home as talking to people on Angerming Station platform this morning, it turns out I was on that train.

Sad news indeed.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

Without Limits

Jan 14, 2007
Lewes Road Area
Just checked in before bedtime to see this awful news.

I've know roy since those late 70's days but moreso when the 'troubles' were on and in the latter years it was just a pleasure to see him out with his beloved dog, Kitty and he's just pull up a stool in the Star and chat away to anyone. An interest and authority on lots of things but never to the point of sounding superior.

Sadly there are too many R.I.P's on here, all good souls, but Roy I was on more than nodding terms with and I've certainly shed a tear. We were only talking about him at the Star the other Friday and how we'd not seen him recently but a couple of mates have told me they were drinking with him on Saturday.

rest in peace, mate.

Very sad to be woken this morning from my dad with this news. That empty seat will always be remembered.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here