Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roy Chuter

Micklin

Jan 19, 2011
Rather than a sombre minutes silence at the Amex, reflecting on Roy's life, I very much hope that spontaneous applause erupt from every section of the Amex. Applause for Roy, applause for what he stood for, applause for all of his hard work, mostly unrecognised and behind the scenes. And finally applause for his major part in standing up and saving the Albion. God bless you Roy, known you since the late 70's always a mate. RIP buddy.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I unfortunately did not know Roy, reading this thread it says he was loved by many and a man that was there when it mattered, a true Albion man I salute you Roy
RIP

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The funeral arrangements are in the 'sticky' at the top of the page. Sadly, I can't make it; I would very much liked to have gone and paid my last respects.

There will also be a Book of Remembrance for people to sign in Dick's Bar on Tuesday evening before the game. If it is necessary, it can be opened on Saturday too.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
image.jpg

RIP Roy

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
So sad. condolences to his family and friends.

I didn't know Roy personally, only that in the war years he, along with others, were at at forefront of our fight, and Gull's Eye an important and amusing tool in keeping us mere foot soldiers informed.

RIP Roy.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So sorry to hear about Roy. Just got back from holiday today and that sticky was the very first NSC thing I saw. Gah! Knew Roy vaguely through friends firstly in a non-Albion capacity and attended more than one of his birthday beach parties where he failed to show, drink having been taken elsewhere aforehand! Top man!! RIP :down:

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
That was a great tribute to Roy last night. Well done John. Glad I was there to hear that and to applaud Roy.

DavidR

Jan 2, 2014
I lived with Roy for two years in Manchester back in 1992. He was the first friend I made there and we shared many classes. He had the room above mine and what I remember very clearly is the tapping of his fingers on the keyboard of his computer as he wrote and wrote: essays, letters to friends, anything and everything. The house subscribed to a broadsheet newspaper and Roy read all of it, everyday. Sport, politics, international news, everything. At one point we had to discuss fair use of the paper because we all wanted to have a glance, but Roy was the only one who actually read it. We lived a stone's throw from a chip shop and we often had late night chips. We also drank together regularly at the Flea and Firkin, sometimes before heading off to a tutorial. He always said one of the things he was good at was passing exams, and boy was he right. One time we travelled together to see Brighton play Sheffield (Wednesday I think). I had no interest in football and I think Roy wanted to see if I could catch the bug. Instead we got stranded in Sheffield with no train back to Manchester until the next day. Good times in memory but at the time I was livid. For Roy, it was no problem. He just had a great attitude. I stayed with him in Brighton for a week after uni was over but then didn't keep I touch. I can't believe he is gone. I regret losing touch with him. How he might have felt leaves me feeling so sad. He was the sort of person I admire. Widely read, knowledgeable, passionate on his interests, kind and supportive to his friends, and fearless, and obviously lost none of those qualities, even to the end. I have met no one like him since.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
It must be sad for you, David, to have just found this. Reading through the many pages you will find that the Roy you knew was the same great character we all knew. He didn't change and that's probably why he's not with us now, because he didn't want his life compromised by the type of things many face, like failing health.

Roy lives on and he even has a bus named after him!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I lived with Roy for two years in Manchester back in 1992. He was the first friend I made there and we shared many classes. He had the room above mine and what I remember very clearly is the tapping of his fingers on the keyboard of his computer as he wrote and wrote: essays, letters to friends, anything and everything. The house subscribed to a broadsheet newspaper and Roy read all of it, everyday. Sport, politics, international news, everything. At one point we had to discuss fair use of the paper because we all wanted to have a glance, but Roy was the only one who actually read it. We lived a stone's throw from a chip shop and we often had late night chips. We also drank together regularly at the Flea and Firkin, sometimes before heading off to a tutorial. He always said one of the things he was good at was passing exams, and boy was he right. One time we travelled together to see Brighton play Sheffield (Wednesday I think). I had no interest in football and I think Roy wanted to see if I could catch the bug. Instead we got stranded in Sheffield with no train back to Manchester until the next day. Good times in memory but at the time I was livid. For Roy, it was no problem. He just had a great attitude. I stayed with him in Brighton for a week after uni was over but then didn't keep I touch. I can't believe he is gone. I regret losing touch with him. How he might have felt leaves me feeling so sad. He was the sort of person I admire. Widely read, knowledgeable, passionate on his interests, kind and supportive to his friends, and fearless, and obviously lost none of those qualities, even to the end. I have met no one like him since.

Great tribute.

Aug 16, 2013

That's so nice to read, real memories from people who knew Roy, my brother. It's still hard knowing he's not at the Amex when we arrive each time this season. His Inquest should be this month sometime, haven't heard when yet. But there will be no surprises - we know why he did what he did. Seriously failing health, too many knocks, not enough money; he was evicted unbeknown to any of us, so he saw no future for himself as he wanted to be. He once told me a decade or more ago, that he felt he wouldn't outlive our Dad (Dad died at 54, Roy was 51). I didn't believe him but he seemed sure; he was sadly right.

We've seen his Bus - which is either a 5 or a 5B depending on the route used that day.

By the way his last note included a thankyou to all his (many) friends and anyone he'd ever shared a drink with...so that would have included you, DavidR.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here