Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roy Chuter

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
For what it is worth, I have sent a 'complaint' - it would be better to have no comments - anyone with something positive to say can do it here, or email the Argus journo.

The journalist, if you can call her that, was scrabbling around, inviting people to phone her personal number to get details of the case.

They love these stories and the insensitive comments. It happens every time, adding traffic to their rubbish little website.

A serious lack of respect for the deceased and all who knew him/her.

I reported the post initially to setup a discussion as to whether these suicide threads should be clamped down upon, without knowing the details of the case.

The usual suspects with their pointless and insensitive remarks. I think we can now all agree that they serve no purpose.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In all fairness it's not like NSC doesn't share the same views on people jumping infront of a train when it isn't someone that a lot of people on here know.

Not saying they are right as I don't agree with them but it's not just The Argus that these people post on.

No. The same happened on NSC- you know who you are, people- before it was widely known that Roy was the person involved, hence Bozza removing several comments and asking people to show restraint.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
All of us who knew Roy well - he was one of my best friends for two thirds of my life - have been asking ourselves if we could have foreseen this, or done any more. But the fact is he was an incredibly stubborn old so and so who swerved and rebutted all our attempts to help him with a few amiably wry comments - and another pint or ten. It was his health which was at the heart of his decision. Roy's health had been steadily failing for years - very poor eyesight, diabetes, vertigo (the latter increasingly stopping him getting out to the games and the gigs he loved) and having lived life on his own terms he decided to end it on his own terms too. That was expressed eloquently in his final letter to us, along with an exhortation not to blame ourselves because there was nothing we could have done. None of us had an inkling that this was being planned (and planned it seems to have been, rather than a sudden spur of the moment madness) I am utterly shocked both at what he did, and the way he chose to do it. We are devastated that he didn't feel he could turn to his friends and that this awful act was for him the only way out. Cherish your friends, folks. And if you need them, turn to them. I am so bloody ANGRY with you, Roy......

All of us who knew Roy well - he was one of my best friends for two thirds of my life - have been asking ourselves if we could have foreseen this, or done any more. But the fact is he was an incredibly stubborn old so and so who swerved and rebutted all our attempts to help him with a few amiably wry comments - and another pint or ten. It was his health which was at the heart of his decision. Roy's health had been steadily failing for years - very poor eyesight, diabetes, vertigo (the latter increasingly stopping him getting out to the games and the gigs he loved) and having lived life on his own terms he decided to end it on his own terms too. That was expressed eloquently in his final letter to us, along with an exhortation not to blame ourselves because there was nothing we could have done. None of us had an inkling that this was being planned (and planned it seems to have been, rather than a sudden spur of the moment madness) I am utterly shocked both at what he did, and the way he chose to do it. We are devastated that he didn't feel he could turn to his friends and that this awful act was for him the only way out. Cherish your friends, folks. And if you need them, turn to them. I am so bloody ANGRY with you, Roy......

Thanks for that, John. It can't have been easy to say.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War

Extremely well said John. Brought a tear to my eye reading that.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
All of us who knew Roy well - he was one of my best friends for two thirds of my life - have been asking ourselves if we could have foreseen this, or done any more

John, in the course of my job over the years, I've dealt with enough situations like Roy's to know that, when someone genuinely feels like they don't want to do it any more, they don't often tell anyone. They don't call an ambulance, or their GP, or their friends or family. They usually just quietly go off and do what they feel they have to do. And, it's often the people who, outwardly, don't give any inkling of their thoughts. I used to work with a chap who was one of the most outgoing, gregarious people you could ever meet, who was always the life and soul of any situation, and who could make you cry with laughter at his shaggy dog life stories. One day a few years back, he, for reasons that none of us could ever imagine, came to the same decision that Roy did, and ended it all. People close to him spent days, weeks, months, agonising over what they might have been able to do if only they'd known.

The truth is, none of us can ever truly know what goes on inside somebody's head, especially if they don't want us to find out, and the fact that he evidently took the time to write down his feelings and wishes to you at the end shows how much he cared, no matter how much of a shock the final act must have come to you. I firmly believe that a person who finds themself in that position can't possibly be in a state of mind to realise how much others- be they loved ones, friends, train drivers or whoever- will be affected, and for outsiders to criticise shows a desperate lack of understanding and compassion.

I'm so sorry for your loss, and I hope you'll eventually find some comfort in having known him for so many years, rather than grief at not knowing him for long enough. I never (knowingly) met Roy, although I'm sure I've probably crossed his path unwittingly in the Evening Star and at the Albion many times, but the fact that his name was instantly recognisable to me and so many others through our shared love of all things BHAFC, is nothing but a tribute to him.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
Know where you are. I bumped into him at the Lewes stopover and he seemed on good form. I left him as Mumfords went on to get a better view. Can't but help wish I had stayed now, he may have dropped something of a clue.

As per the Argus, they are choosing to run their coverage with a nice picture of a train. Thoughtful!! Worthing Herald have put up a lovely picture on their site, so well done them.

wendy's tackle

NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2004
East Dean, Eastbourne
It's a sad fact that suicide leaves a terrible burden on loved ones and close friends, as unfortunately I know only too well. It can lead to all sorts of unfounded, confused emotions and conflicts on top of the grief of losing that person - even though you know there was nothing you could do somehow it still lingers and it can get worse before it gets better. My message to anyone who was close to Roy is be aware of this and don't be too proud to get professional help or talk to the right people if need be - don't suffer it on your own. You will find there are a lot of people who have gone through the same situation and can help you. One life has tragically been lost, don't let it ruin any more.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Just come back from holiday to hear this incredibly sad news. I didn't know Roy as a friend, but certainly knew him and spoke to him many times as an albion fan.

It is inconceivable for people to understand how low Someone must be to take their own life and people who are far more eloquent than me have expressed their views and I hope people who knew Roy will take some solace in their comments.

RIP one of us.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Rip Roy. Never has the term LEGEND been more appropriate.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Gull's Eye was a big part of all our lives back then.

Here's a link to scans of Issue 100 - Farewell to The Goldstone

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75238685@N02/sets/72157634899364299/show/

018.jpg

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I had a rathr garbled text about the funeral arrangements but can somebody please clarify.

Knowing Roy, I wouldn't be surprised if suits were out and blue & white was the order of the day, reckon that's what I'll go with anyway.

Edna, pretty sure you'd recognise Roy, in the Star with his beloved dog or in the WSL after games. One of the things about football, you see people over the years, may often chat, but not know their names.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm so sorry for your loss, and I hope you'll eventually find some comfort in having known him for so many years, rather than grief at not knowing him for long enough. I never (knowingly) met Roy, although I'm sure I've probably crossed his path unwittingly in the Evening Star and at the Albion many times, but the fact that his name was instantly recognisable to me and so many others through our shared love of all things BHAFC, is nothing but a tribute to him.

Wonderful words.

Really enjoyed his writing, had a unique voice - that will live on for many, many years in his work

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Edna, pretty sure you'd recognise Roy, in the Star with his beloved dog or in the WSL after games. One of the things about football, you see people over the years, may often chat, but not know their names.

You're probably right, I do believe I recognised his face from the photos that have been published this week. The Albion is a small world really :)

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
I cannot add anything more to what has been said already - Roy was a one-off. His way with words showed his intelligence and his perspicacity, always to be seen carrying some reading material of some sort in a bag. Beer and words was Roy, with an impish grin and laugh to go with. Someone who argued cogently and calmly, who could analyse, reason and bat the opposition for six. A key campaigner throughout the war years, his huge smile and the hug he gave me in Dick's Bar at one of the first games at The Amex will always be remembered by me.

Too early, too young and very very sad. Some of us have close relatives that have left this world on their own terms, the hurt does pass - there is no guilt that we could have done more - more that they are at peace.

Roy - one of the first people I'd have in the trenches with me and hopefully one of the first to greet me when my time comes.

I salute you Roy - your everlasting memory is all around, but none more so than at The Amex.

Paul

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Attila, my heart goes out to you. Please take some comfort from Edna's words, she is so right.
Cheers. Despite our shock and anger at what Roy did (when many of us gathered at the Star on Wednesday our general consensus was 'you stupid, stubborn *******!') we have taken comfort from what he wrote. Sadly that doesn't help the train driver and others involved, but Roy's family are writing to them too. Funeral arrangements are more or less confirmed - when they are, Harty will be posting them on here. The arrangements are in place for Tuesday, and some of Roy's family including infamous drinking buddy Cousin Phil (whom some of you will have surely met, though he's not a footie fan) will be there. I wrote the short poem I shall be reading in the middle of last night......

Happy new season, everyone. Always an exciting time, always was for Roy. My broken leg is very angry with me for taking it out of its cast early for Rose's wedding on Thursday (and the wake last Wednesday didn't help, since I was incapable of walking back from Southwick station with the necessary caution...) so it's leg up, ice and radio for me today rather than Leeds, I'm afraid. So those who are there, give 'em two extra cheers. One for Roy, and one for me......

Last edited:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Only back from holiday, so very sorry to hear this sad news.

Didn't know Roy personally but there was a time when if you were at an Albion away game, especially up north, you pretty much recognised everyone. And that is to say nothing of all the campaigning done by Roy.

RIP

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here