Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rooney's "achievements"

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
His missus, who is successfully running her own business, and is rich in her own right? And before she married him, too.

Sorry, but that's complete nonsense. Coleen would be absolutely nothing without the Rooney massive leg-up into the limelight. At least Posh and Becks had some kind of mutual celebrity thing going. Coleen just happened to be in the right time at the right place with the right childhood sweetheart.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sorry, but that's complete nonsense. Coleen would be absolutely nothing without the Rooney massive leg-up into the limelight. At least Posh and Becks had some kind of mutual celebrity thing going. Coleen just happened to be in the right time at the right place with the right childhood sweetheart.

Yes, women manage nothing in their own right, eh?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yes, women manage nothing in their own right, eh?

Of course they do. Only not in the example you quote. Not in a million years. If he wasn't an idiot savant millionaire footballer, she'd be signing on (or working in a proper worthwhile job that sadly pays minimum wage), same as him.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
He's England's all time leading goalscorer.

He's not made much impact at tournament finals, but neither have the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham and so on, and he hasn't retired early either.

Last Saturday he spent time with fans, posed for photos, played the piano, and was very approachable. So how did one of our wonderful fans respond? Sold the pictures of Rooney looking lashed to The Sun, greedy little ********. Then fans wonder why players are so aloof, yet the first opportunity to line their pockets and it's form a lynch mob time.

I'm no fan of Rooney, but on this issue he's done nothing majorly wrong.

As for the 'footballers are role models' argument, it's BS put about by lazy journalists and politicians, whose behaviour is pretty reprehensible far more often than Rooney's.

Thanks for saying this, spot on.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Rooney is English football's ultimate idiot savant IMHO. If it wasn't for some freakish connection between his feet and some deeply hidden part of his brain, he'd be signing on the dole forever. As would his missus.

The same with a host of people blessed with a sporting talent. Hardly a sin. I suspect that has been the same throughout the decades. Look at our very own Wayne Bridge demonstrating a complete lack of education on I'm A Celeb. Would be interesting to see if Wayne Rooney knows what a platypus is as WB certainly had never heard of one!!!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Probably the photographs, the statements and his own apology to the England manager. :ffsparr:

Think you ought to save that :ffspar: for yourself. A photo cannot prove a man was drunk, the statement was made 'The Sun', and Rooney unreserevedly apologised for his inappropriate behaviour. No mention of drunkeness from any credible source that I can see.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Surely by scoring lots of goals and thus ensuring we invariably manage to at least qualify, he's actually mitigated against further levels of 'laughing stock' nonsense?
No, believe you me, the false hope, the expectation. Each shattered. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

Far better to have slipped into obscurity like Scotland.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
He's scored 50 odd international goals and has given everything for his country. He's had his position because there has been no-one who was deemed better.

I can't comment on his character, and am even less interested. All I've seen is a footballer who has given his best.

You should have more respect. People wonder why the team aren't successful. Well, when players are viewed with such disdain it's hardly surprising. Overpaid ? Yes. But that's not their fault. And even if they were paid a modest wage I bet they'd still want to do it.

Exactly this. Some people on this forum just seem to be clueless.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Think you ought to save that :ffspar: for yourself. A photo cannot prove a man was drunk, the statement was made 'The Sun', and Rooney unreserevedly apologised for his inappropriate behaviour. No mention of drunkeness from any credible source that I can see.

Oh dear, I bow to your superior knowledge, as you were not there either we'll have to rely on the circumstancial evidence. Clearly you must have an inside source on this or maybe you shouldn't be so precious in defending Rooney.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
So long as I never hear 'what a great servant' he has been for club/country then let him retire to a career in punditry or philosophical debates or whatever.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The press in this country are just as responsible for England's lack of success anyone else.

I don't doubt that every one of those players takes pride in his shirt. Yet their performance is analysed by much more than constructive criticism. Players shouldn't have to wonder what muck the media are trying to spread and what tales are being exaggerated. It's a poison chalice many times only.

Rooney had needed to ride this when all he wants to do is give his best for the shirt. I honestly believe that if our teams played with the goodwill of the nation they would have been more successful.

Remember, they receive no further pay for this (Yes, I know they get enough already). The team is too driven by the fear of defeat. That's no way to play a major tournament.

Just look at the Albion at present, everyone is behind them, and it shows through the team's unity and drive.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Oh dear, I bow to your superior knowledge, as you were not there either we'll have to rely on the circumstancial evidence. Clearly you must have an inside source on this or maybe you shouldn't be so precious in defending Rooney.

Just bored with someone having a pint in his own time getting a load of grief from two faced knobs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here