Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rooney's "achievements"

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
For us though was what the original question asked.

Well if you're not English nor a United fan then he's achieved nothing for you.

As a player, he has 5 premier league winners medals, a champions league medal, 2 league cup medals and one FA cup medal. Most capped outfield player (and will probably surpass Shilton) and the highest scorer for his country. People might not like Rooney the person (although I'm not entirely sure why) but surely only an imbecile couldn't recognize what he has achieved as a player.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

As a player, he has 5 premier league winners medals, a champions league medal, 2 league cup medals and one FA cup medal. Most capped outfield player (and will probably surpass Shilton) and the highest scorer for his country. People might not like Rooney the person (although I'm not entirely sure why) but surely only an imbecile couldn't recognize what he has achieved as a player.
Rooney is a good player but he has been, in his career, vastly overrated. When he arrived as a teenager, it looked as though he could turn out to be world class. Alas.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005

Drew - the question was about England - not United and what he has done for us - not HIMSELF.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Rooney in quote about his England career:

"I love playing for my country and I am proud of my achievements to date - but I have not finished yet."
BBC website.

Perhaps you could explain to us what we could be proud of and exactly **what** you have "achieved" in the last
15 years for England.

Because I see absolutely f**** all unless you see making the England team the world's laughing stock an
achievement.

Well, how to make yourself look as though you do not have the slightest clue about football!

I am far from being in the Rooney Fan Club, but how about soon to be top English international goalscorer ever? Or has won lots of trophies, domestic and European? Or, is in the top ten when it comes to English international caps? Or, more poignantly, has achieved more in 10 years than the OP will achieve in his or her lifetime?

:facepalm:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Well, how to make yourself look as though you do not have the slightest clue about football!

I am far from being in the Rooney Fan Club, but how about soon to be top English international goalscorer ever? Or has won lots of trophies, domestic and European? Or, is in the top ten when it comes to English international caps? Or, more poignantly, has achieved more in 10 years than the OP will achieve in his or her lifetime?

Why do people keep trotting out the top goalscorer fact? How many of those goals were meaningful? Who cares if Rooney scored a hatful in meaningless qualification matches? He hardly scored in tournaments. One reason he scored so many is that qualification matches take place in far bigger groups so he will have played many more lesser teams in his time. Someone like Jimmy Greaves was ten times the footballer Rooney is.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Why do people keep trotting out the top goalscorer fact? How many of those goals were meaningful? Who cares if Rooney scored a hatful in meaningless qualification matches? He hardly scored in tournaments. One reason he scored so many is that qualification matches take place in far bigger groups so he will have played many more lesser teams in his time. Someone like Jimmy Greaves was ten times the footballer Rooney is.

Sad and dull, but moving on from you........

essbee

Jan 5, 2005

Only 40 years playing and watching - buy hey - don't worry about that. If you actually read properly and understood the point I'm trying
to make you might actually post something useful.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Drew - the question was about England - not United and what he has done for us - not HIMSELF.

He's helped England qualify for a number of tournaments, something they failed to do in 1972, 1974, 1978, 1994 etc.

Your original comment was that " I see absolutely f**** all unless you see making the England team the world's laughing stock an
achievement"

How, precisely, has be made the England team the world's laughing stock?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Only 40 years playing and watching.

I've got a First Aid certificate and a box set of Grey's Anatomy.

I don't however consider myself an authority on medical issues and, in the main, tend to take the view of a consultant or GP.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Rooney is a great player nearing the end of his time at the very top.

Unlike in some countries, in this country (perfect example being the OP) we would rather try and find reasons to vilify the bloke rather than recognise his contribution as a footballer for Man Utd and England.

There is a lot of bollocks talked about England's 'easy' qualifiers and Rooney's goals in qualifying not being worth anything. But as El Pres pointed out, not qualifying is pretty grim and we (unlike Holland) haven't suffered that for a bit.

Even leaving United and his league titles out of it, for England he has often carried a poor team and got us to these tournaments almost single-handed. He's the country's record goalscorer FFS, anyone who says he's always been crap knows nothing about football.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
He's England's all time leading goalscorer.

He's not made much impact at tournament finals, but neither have the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham and so on, and he hasn't retired early either.

Last Saturday he spent time with fans, posed for photos, played the piano, and was very approachable. So how did one of our wonderful fans respond? Sold the pictures of Rooney looking lashed to The Sun, greedy little ********. Then fans wonder why players are so aloof, yet the first opportunity to line their pockets and it's form a lynch mob time.

I'm no fan of Rooney, but on this issue he's done nothing majorly wrong.

As for the 'footballers are role models' argument, it's BS put about by lazy journalists and politicians, whose behaviour is pretty reprehensible far more often than Rooney's.

I agree.

The only thing he did wrong in my eyes is it was in an England tracksuit.

He's been no better or no worse than players like Lampard who have been held up as world beaters when they have been no better in finals.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Same could be directed at a lot of England players.

Did Owen really reach his potential due to injury?
Agreed. England's so called stars have flattered to deceive. Wayne Rooney's premier league career has been an amazing success. I would suggest that his England career hasn't. Ask a few German players if they would have been satisfied with qualifying for most tournaments. I think they'd laugh. It's not a specious argument to suggest he hasn't cut the mustard on the big occasions, it's simply true.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It's not a specious argument to suggest he hasn't cut the mustard on the big occasions, it's simply true.

Few will disagree with you.

But when was the last major tournament when ANY England player looked truly world class? I'd go for Lineker in 1986, and Shearer in 1996, and that's about it.

I've only seen one player win a tournament single handed, and that was Maradonna.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Few will disagree with you.

But when was the last major tournament when ANY England player looked truly world class? I'd go for Lineker in 1986, and Shearer in 1996, and that's about it.

I've only seen one player win a tournament single handed, and that was Maradonna.
I know, it is wrong to single out Rooney. They have pretty much all disappointed. Could have all turned out so differently had Maradonna not been allowed to get away with the hand of God.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

I'm not sure how you can say qualification matches are meaningless. I'm pretty sure that Rooney's record in competitive games stands up to anyone else's.

This is quite a good analysis http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/wayne-rooney-vs-bobby-charlton-whos-got-best-england-scoring-record

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
He's England's all time leading goalscorer.

He's not made much impact at tournament finals, but neither have the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham and so on, and he hasn't retired early either.

Last Saturday he spent time with fans, posed for photos, played the piano, and was very approachable. So how did one of our wonderful fans respond? Sold the pictures of Rooney looking lashed to The Sun, greedy little ********. Then fans wonder why players are so aloof, yet the first opportunity to line their pockets and it's form a lynch mob time.

I'm no fan of Rooney, but on this issue he's done nothing majorly wrong.

As for the 'footballers are role models' argument, it's BS put about by lazy journalists and politicians, whose behaviour is pretty reprehensible far more often than Rooney's.
All of this. Couldn't have put it better, EP.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here