Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Roofer costs

Let's Have A Winner!

Apr 23, 2006
Burgess Hill
I have about 3 ridge tiles which need recementing in, have had 3 quotes so far... £1250, £1272 and £1400! Looks to me about a 1-2 hour job? All three want to use scaffolding for H&S at about £900. Suffice to say I am still searching for someone to do it without the need for scaffolding!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I have about 3 ridge tiles which need recementing in, have had 3 quotes so far... £1250, £1272 and £1400! Looks to me about a 1-2 hour job? All three want to use scaffolding for H&S at about £900. Suffice to say I am still searching for someone to do it without the need for scaffolding!

If you have had 3 quotes and all 3 want to use scaffolding I would have a good stab in the dark that this job maybe is too dangerous to do off a ladder.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I'm still in Shock that Bozza Towers is a Bungalow, after all the money Mustafa made for him I had expected a Country House, if not a Mansion...

It's like seeing someone you've only ever heard on the radio isn't - just not quite what you expected. I heard someone well-known on here to be a dullard on the radio, and he sounded vaguely interesting. So - that's two impressions dashed in just one day! What next, as these things tend to come in threes?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Why don’t you try sourcing your own scaffolding you might save yourself a few quid.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Last year I had a leak. In the end I had 5 roof tiles replaced and the lead lining renewed. Cost was £400. A local firm quoted first and wanted over £2k - and I will name them as I notice they advertise on the big screens at the Amex - MB Roofing - don't touch with a barge pole.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
So much moaning. Just borrow a neighbours ladder and do it yourself, it's pretty easy. However, you have to consider a fall might end up costing you more. It seems odd that education is so expensive, I know Lawyers, Social Workers and Junior Doctors that earn far less than Roofers, Scaffolders and Brickies and they work far longer hours too.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It's like seeing someone you've only ever heard on the radio isn't - just not quite what you expected. I heard someone well-known on here to be a dullard on the radio, and he sounded vaguely interesting. So - that's two impressions dashed in just one day! What next, as these things tend to come in threes?

Ppf turns out to be a lecturer in quantum physics :wink:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
So much moaning. Just borrow a neighbours ladder and do it yourself, it's pretty easy. However, you have to consider a fall might end up costing you more. It seems odd that education is so expensive, I know some Lawyers, Social Workers and Junior Doctors that earn far less than some Roofers, Scaffolders and Brickies and they work far longer hours too.

Edited for you
I’ve added the word some a couple of times.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Pretty impressed this thread has got to almost two full pages without one of the usual suspects claiming it’s the effects of Brexit on supply of cheaper Eastern European roofers :lolol:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Last year I had a leak. In the end I had 5 roof tiles replaced and the lead lining renewed. Cost was £400. A local firm quoted first and wanted over £2k - and I will name them as I notice they advertise on the big screens at the Amex - MB Roofing - don't touch with a barge pole.
Now you know why how they can afford to advertise on match day.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Pretty impressed this thread has got to almost two full pages without one of the usual suspects claiming it’s the effects of Brexit on supply of cheaper Eastern European roofers :lolol:

Everyone has been delicately tip toeing around the blindingly obvious, and then you come diving straight in two footed :lolol:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Now you know why how they can afford to advertise on match day.

So it's Westdene's fault we don't have a proven Premier League striker :wink:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

PM sent

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here