Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Roofer costs

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Thanks - the work has already been done.

It was going to be replacing the three tiles that had come off, but the roofer identified other tiles in the same row were very loose, which I completely expected, as we were able to just lift one off ourselves to stop it just falling off. The cement (or whatever it is fixed with) had all but perished away. He removed those, cleaned it all up and re-fixed them properly.

It's not very high up - our house is a bungalow, and the ridge tiles run from the high point of the roof diagonally down to ceiling height of the ground floor, so no scaffolding required - just ladders.

He charged £420 which just feels a bit high if I do the maths on what I expect an hourly rate and cost of materials to be. He came via personal recommendation.

I assume you mean the tiles under the ridge as you certainly dont need cement to fix tiles which are a main part of the roof area. These would be nailed or clipped, depending on the tile type, and not all courses would need to be fixed as this is dependent on checking the wind tables for the area you live in.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
At least. "Hourly rates" being asked for by tradesmen these days are literally impossible to imagine without using a speculative multiplier.

In my road that traditionally has been known locally for the number of doctors, dentists, etc living there we now have our very own plumber's van in residence... whatever next?
Remind me never to come and work on "your" road.

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I assume you mean the tiles under the ridge as you certainly dont need cement to fix tiles which are a main part of the roof area. These would be nailed or clipped, depending on the tile type, and not all courses would need to be fixed as this is dependent on checking the wind tables for the area you live in.

I might be using the wrong terminology.

It's essentially the same as these ones which run in a line diagonally down this roof: https://www.myjobquote.co.uk/assets/img/cost-of-replacing-roof-ridge-tiles-8-c2m800.jpg

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I've been quote £550 to replace two tiles fallen off the front of the house and one off the back. Needless to say I'm awaiting a 2nd quote, but getting trades to actually respond seems easier said than done. I guess they may look at small jobs as more hassle than they're worth.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I imagine roofers are somewhat in demand right now which may explain higher-than-normal rates, I guess, and he did come quickly.
That wasn't in your original request.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
If I wasn't such a fat git I my start this roofing rip off.

I re-tiled and felted a few roofs in my time it really isn't hard. Alas that was when I was younger.

Jul 7, 2003
As the poster responsible for the "5 minute job" phrase which was about roofing, what I can say is that getting hold of any roofer at the moment is challenge. Many of them - even those with supposedly good Checkatrade references - don't even bother responding to smaller job requests.

A couple of years ago we had were charged around £180 to replace a couple of slipped tiles on a house roof. The price of tiles has gone up significantly in the last year so £420 for replacing 5 tiles might not be that bas in the current climate.

Was it a local guy called Sam?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I did it myself this time last year after storm damage. 3 new Ridge tiles cemented in place on a 45-60 degree drop (30's house) and replacing a few dropped tiles.
Tied the ladder in place to stop it slipping. At roof leveI made a roofers ladder on the roof by taking out a vertical gap of tiles and using the cross struts as ladder rungs. Tied myself in with a climbers rope and then got on with it.
Job done, adrenaline released and £400x roofer's multiplier saved.
Surveyor's report when we sold a few months later said "A number of ridge tiles have been replaced, the job is adequate".

5 minute job if I hadn't had to keep untying myself to go down to get each individual ridge tile and roof tile. Thought that was safest way. Maybe 2 hour job and 6 trips up and down the ladder.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
As with all trades its a case of who you know. Couple of years back during a storm I developed an unwanted water feature through my ceiling in the kitchen. I rang a pal who is a builder who recommended a young lad and said to tell him that I was a mate of his. An hour later young lad appears, and is straight up on the roof, replaces two cracked tiles. Asked him how much I owed him and he said "nothing, just take my card and call me when you want the whole lot doing". I will of course and I gave him a drink for his bother.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I'm still in Shock that Bozza Towers is a Bungalow, after all the money Mustafa made for him I had expected a Country House, if not a Mansion...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
At least. "Hourly rates" being asked for by tradesmen these days are literally impossible to imagine without using a speculative multiplier.

In my road that traditionally has been known locally for the number of doctors, dentists, etc living there we now have our very own plumber's van in residence... whatever next?

People are so busy with shortages of many trades, that some quote high prices with 'super profit'.

Then not bothered whether they get the work or not, if they do it's a nice bonus,

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I bought 3 ridge (hip) tiles last week, £17 from SIG Worthing and flitted them to my neighbours roof and changed less than that. Was a bit simpler with the others being fine.

I'd have said £300-£350 is a reasonable cost. But as someone else said, roofers are at a premium at the moment.

Got a mate who runs a roofing company in London and his day rate is £800. Been tempted to work up there but always come to the long travel and hours.

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
How much should it cost for...

Two roofers working for a total of two and a half hours, replacing three ridge tiles with new tiles, and re-fixing another five tiles in the same row that were very loose.

Google can give me an idea, obviously, but I'd like some local knowledge!

Would have been well happy with £250

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here